Ever shot a turkey with a bow?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by flatheaddundee, Nov 18, 2005.

1. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Any of ya'll ever stuck a pile of feathers? I was thinking about trying it this season. Sorry for all the forums by me but I LOVE turkey hunting.

2. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    i have never shot a turkey with a bow, but i have been with people who have. i think bow hunting is such a rush and i havnt even done it yet, it is just so exciting to watch and be around. i know the vitals are really small and hard to hit. plus while bow hunting turkeys it is almost a must to use a blind so they dont see you draw. i think you should try it this year, you get hooked even more. thats ok about all the posts, nothing wrong with loving the best sport ever, turkey hunting.

3. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Keep on talking turkey, cause it's my favorite thing to do!!!!!!!!!!! I have shot quite a few gobblers with my bow in the fall, along with a couple of hens, one was bearded. First turkey I ever shot with a bow was out of a tree stand, the rest have been off the ground. Have never bowhunted for them in the spring time, I'm too busy videoing and usually only have a few days to hunt each year, so I just carry a gun then. I'm a pro staffer for Hook's Custom Calls out of Batesville Arkansas. Good luck chasing them with a bow, it's alot of fun, even in the fall. You can get them fired up pretty good at times in the fall and get them to come in gobbling and strutting just like it was spring time. God bless.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have never shot a turkey with a bow but my son did shoot one from my front porch once. when we lived in Leak county Mississippi the turkeys we so abundant they would cone up in my yard all the time. :D :D

5. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    ive shot a few with a bow,IMO nothing more challenging then takin a turkey with a bow.its a blast!

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I've never shot a turkey with a bow and come to think of it I havent seen any off them carrying a gun either.Mostly they have long beards and spurs where I come from LOL!!! Turkey hunting can flat out get in your blood and warp you.I got into it In Colorado and next thing I knew I had about as many calls as I did Dry Flies.Instead of an alarm clock I used to get my two boys up with a good gobble or something with a diaphram call.They didn't hang around long after they graduated High School so I guess something good came out of it.I just bought one of those alarm clocks that has a turkey gobble.Perhaps the most thrilling sound you can hear in the woods except maybe a bull elk bugle.

7. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Your a quick one lol. Yea its hard to beat a bugle on a cold mountain or in thick green timber when its close enough to raise hairs on your neck. But I can say the same for a turkey, I LIVE FOR THAT GOBBLE.

8. flathead willy

flathead willy New Member

State:
    Madison, MS
    Turkey hunting with a bow sounds like a heck of a lot of fun Do most of you use a blind for bowhunting birds?

9. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    yeah we always use blinds, we go in a few days before and build one. we have made giant ones before in islands in the middle of fields were you can crawl around and shoot from about 6 different holes. or if we are lazy we just use a pop up. ahhhh great times.

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I want to get one with a bow, got several with a shotgun. I have a T2 blind from Double bull and some decoys. I'm going to have to give it a try. ;)

11. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    sound like a challenge i should probaly get a few more birds under my belt before i try that

12. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've seen the damage a broadhead can do to a deer,what does it do to a 20# bird?Waste a lot of meat?
    I have an image in my mind of using a bowfishing set-up.Pass thru shot with a small diameter head,reel it in.Bwhaaaaa,peta would love it!!Small damage and no worries of it running/flying off.