Ever heard of Floyd Collins

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by wishiwasfishin, Nov 3, 2006.

1. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    One thing you should understand is that my whole area around me is just covered with caves. The town I live in (Horse Cave) has a big cave right in the middle of it or go right down the road to Cave City and of coarse we got Mammoth Cave state park right around the river. Well this is a sad story of a man who's adventures got him in alot of trouble. This is the story of Floyd Collins..( the greatest cave explorer ever)

..............................................................................................

Floyd Collin's family owned Crystal Cave. A nice cave but it was too far off the tourist trail to make much money. Floyd was determined to find an entrance to the Mammoth Cave System that visitors would see before they came to Mammoth's historic entrance. Sand Cave is one of those little "nothing" caves that are usually bypassed by almost everyone. Floyd was on his way out of a dangerous unstable passage when a 27 pound rock fell on his foot. There is a chance that the passage did lead to Mammoth and that Floyd had *found* what he was looking for when he got trapped. Understand, Floyd Collins was known as the best caver in the country surrounding the longest cave system in the world. Decades later explorers found things miles from Crystal Cave indicating Floyd was indeed the greatest caver. But further exploration that day was not to be. Just 120 feet from the entrance and 60 feet underground, Floyd lay unable to move in the darkness. The night of Jan. 30, 1925 passed with no relief for Floyd Collins.
    For more than 2 weeks, Floyd suffered in that cold, wet tight passage. Above was a carnival atmosphere, each day the news was reported in the Louisville, KY newspaper from a first-hand account as their brave cub reporter navigated the unstable cave passage, fed, talked with and even attempted several times to free Floyd himself.
    Finally after all the excitement, world-wide attention, mine shaft and all, Floyd still lay trapped. Sometime around the 15th day, Floyd's voice was stilled forever. The authorities decided it was too dangerous to remove the body and left it there. 80 days later Floyd's brother Homer raised enough money to give Floyd a decent burial. Later, Crystal Cave was sold and Floyd's body was put in a glass topped coffin in Crystal Cave. For many years cavers paid their respects. Finally he was removed to Flint Rock church where he lies today.
    This was quite a dramatic national story and was just as well known or even more than the "Baby Jessica" story was a few years ago. And that was without TV!
    You can read the day-to-day account in the newspaper microfilms. First a minor article saying he was expected to be freed by the next morning. Then the story got bigger and bigger until it dominated the front page every day for 2 weeks.

Attached Files:

2. wishiwasfishin

State:
    kentucky
    Here is a few more pics. If anybody want more info on caves just let me know. I have alot of pictures of other caves but since I gained a little ..ok alot of weight.. I don't get to go in many.

Attached Files:

3. wishiwasfishin

State:
    kentucky
    Oh here is the little hole he crawled in.

Attached Files:

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Interesting post Jason.