Ever hear of snaggin special Fishing rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bluecatnut, Mar 18, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i was a bps today and i was looking at rods but not really anything caught my eye except a rod made by bps called snaggin special i would like to know if anyone has one of these or heard anything good or bad i would like to know it is built like a broom stick

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Since they are only $15, I bought one a month ago. While at my BPS they are only available in 6' and 6 1/2' lengths, and they are a little short for my tastes, but I carry it on the boat as a backup.

I don't think mine has made it in the water yet, but it will later when we catch the Spoonies holed up and not as scattered as they are today.

Definitely too short for using from the bank.

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I personally don't understand why anybody would want one of these rods. What fun is it not to see your pole bending. I think they create more work and less fun. You don't need a broomstick in order to fish for spoonbill. A good strong e glass rod will be a lot more fun and will take any abuse a good size spoonbill in heavy current will offer.

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Charles and I were at BPS last week looking at those rods. Did not get one then, sometimes I have to think about stuff. From what I understand there are some cats in the Mississippi that might put a bend in that pole. I have a CatMaxx rod and reel right now, doin fishin but no catchin. That too will change.
    am thinkin serious about going to get one of these rods and get a good reel with about 130# test on it. Like I said, I have to think on these things.

5. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I got one to try trolling out the the back of the boat, unattended in rod holder, using 1-2 pounds of lead. So far I have not tried it yet and am not sure if my idea will work. But yea other than that, they are sure pretty stiff and short. But for $15 it was worth a shot.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think CC sells the Shakesphere Sturdy Sticks as Snaggin Rods. I have one, but dont use it as a snaggin rod, just an outfit fot cats.

7. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i do not snagg i thought it would be one hell of a big bait pole i was told it can throw 1lb of weight i have a 209 on it so i am ready for the big ones

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I bought the 6'6" one rated for 40-80 lb.line,this past winter.I put a Mitchell Riptide 4/0 GL reel spooled with 60 lb.test line on it.I rigged it to fish in heavy cover(logs,pilings,limestone caves,wrecks,reefs,etc)for large fish.I hope to see it used by my son or grandson before long,as I am unable to handle a large fish anymore.I used a similar built rod,with a Penn Senator reel and 80 lb.test line for heavy bottom fishing in fresh water,tidewater and saltwater.The rig lasted for years and worked fine on large drum,rays,grouper,shark,etc.If you have need of a hand held boom and winch,it will work fine.Once in tidewater water,and several times in salt water,it was not big enough.I got spooled in a hurry,without even slowing down what was on the end of the line.For "BRUTE FORCE"fishing,I think that they are great,within their stated range.For playing a fish,or the sportsmanship involved in a good long fight,forget it.peewee-williams

9. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have one and i love it... its really stiff... it will handle an 60 lb flatty without problems :)

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i had a snagging rod like that one and id bet it would handel anything freshwater the one at bass pro seemed verry heavy to heavy for me to lug around with the rest of my gear my penn320 and tiger rod weigh less than their snagging rod by its self