Ever had any luck decoying?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by NCCatter, Apr 6, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anyone had ever successfully decoyed any deer into their setup. I have 3 decoys: a Carry-Lite buck decoy, a Flambeau Feeding decoy, and one of those little bedded decoys you can rollup and it weighs like 1 pound. Anyway I was thinking about using just the buck or just the feeding doe early during bow season. But during the rut I was gonna switch to the buck tending either the feeding or bedding doe. I think with the right scents this setup will be deadly. What do you think?

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never really tried decoying except for one time. I was using a doe decoy and I think the does actually flarred from it. I prolly was just using it at the wrong time and I think the deer were used to walking into an open field with no deer in it yet. I know of people that do use them with success so I think with the right placement and timing, they can be quite productive. So giver a try and let us know how it works when the season rolls around. I cant wait!

3. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried a decoy one time last year and I had my heart broke. I set up a doe decoy it was one of those blowup deals. When I got to where I was Hunting I put on a scent drag and walked around for awhile then I set up and put some doe in heat on the decoy. Well I got up in my tree stand and started calling and rattling it was still dark. It wasn't 5 min after I got up in the stand I heard something just a charging Well it got about 50 feet from me and a car came up over the ridge and it lights lit up the field all I could see is this big body buck and and this huge rack. Well the light left and this deer came right up to my decoy and then all I could see is a silluet this deer stoodd there for a good 4-5 min and then took off but it went right up to the decoy . If it would of been about 20 min later I would have a trophy 16 point 200+ class on the wall I know this cause I seen him again when I was leaving in my truck he about ran out in front of the truck. I let you guess if I hit the gas and tried to hit him. Moral of the story IMO yes in the right situation I decoy will work just don't be like me and start calling to earily cause it might not take long and they are there.

4. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

I was just about to say I tried some cardboard fish an sloshed around in the water but it didnt seem to help none. Then I seen it was in the deer section.

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois

LOL! How did the cardboard hold up in the water?:) If only you could decoy cats!

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I tried one of those Flambeau Redi Doe decoys that looks like it's on alert. Well a doe came out about 200 yards away and immediately spotted it (in standing soybeans!). The real deer kept looking hard in the direction the deke was looking and never took another step except to walk back where she had come from. I sent that decoy back and got the feeding one like I should have done to start with.

7. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anyone who's interested in decoying or even fine tuning your calling/rattling should check out Gary Clancy's book called "Rattling, Calling, and Decoying Whitetails." That book is extremely informative. Very detail specific. Can find it online.

8. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have used a doe decoy a couple of times the last couple of years and I can say I have had some great success with it. 2 years ago I was able to hold a small 4 pt within bow range for an hour, he just circled the decoy time and time again. This past season I failed to eliminate all of the scent that it had collected sitting in the shed. Had a 170" 10 point leave a doe that he was trailing to circle around my decoy. And you guessed it as soon as he got downwing still 40 yards out of bow range he cought the scent and left:sad: . I would be careful on public land and would shy away during rifle season just for saftey's sake. Good luck with it,

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive never tried but have thought about it. I could see how a decoy could be great in the right situations.