Ever had an Upper Endoscopy?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Anyone ever had an upper endoscopy? Where the run a rod down your throat with a camera on the end?

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Yes, Grumpy, I've had an endoscopy twice. It's a piece of cake. Just have to have someone take you home. Well my Dr. may have made it a piece of cake, but most people have no problem with them.

It helped find a burn in my esophagas from acid reflux. I thought I was having a heart attack a few times and was relieved to find it was GERD, a hernia and that the burn would heal if I did what the Doc told me. A burn can turn into cancer. That was why I had the second one a year later to check that out. Also, the first time, he had to stretch my espohagas, as it had a narrow spot in it. The burn healed but I have to stay on Prevacid for the rest of my life and watch how, what I eat and how I sleep. You should never go to bed until 2 hours after you have eaten if that is the problem and especially have no caffeine in those last 2 hours either. Of course they tell you to stay away from caffeine all together, too. LOL.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out! :)

P.S. They even gave me the pics from the camera. Interesting but NOT PRETTY. LOL

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks, I think that's what I got. I've been taking Prilosec OTC for about 3 months and it hasn't done any good. Of course I haven't yet quit the soda pops, pizza, and spicy foods and the big bedtime meals, but I think it's going to come down to where I have to.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Like Cheryl said... no problem.

I've had three endoscopies within about 6 months back about 15 years ago. Worse of all, I hated the stuff he sprayed in my throat to deaden it. He made me a video tape the last time when he took a sample of my stomach lining.
    The first endoscopy was to stop a large bleeding ulcer, the other two times were for checks to see that the ulcer had healed.

Good luck on what you decide.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    More advice my Dr. gave me:

1. Only take bites as big as your pinky fingernail. (How ridiculous I told him, since mine is only about a quarter inch square) I think it is more like, chew your food at least 18-20 times before swallowing.

2. Take 20 min. to eat. ( Yeah right, LOL, just eat slower, goes back to chewing, probably)

3. Prop the head of your bed up 8-12". You can either put a wedge under the mattress or raise the headboard. (my problem is that I am so short, I end up at the foot of the bed, usually)

4. No spicey food. No caffeine, no tomatoes, citrus or acidic fruits. I forget the rest of that list.

If I think of anymore, I'll list them for you. Good luck!

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    been there done that got the t-shirt. take omeprazole for the rest of my life. its like been said its not bad to go through. like cheryl they had to stretch my throat too. i been on these meds for 3 years now i can eat anything i want dont bother me do have to eat slow and lots of liquids when i eat for the most part. i ran out of my meds had to wait 3 days for the dr to rewrite another perscription man i thought i would die. these meds work good to heal your throat and stomach.