Ever had a pet crow?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I had one when I was a kid. I got it out of a nest just before it was able to fly. I had to force feed it for a couple of days and then it started eating on it's own. I would leave him outside during the day and when I walked out of the house, it would fly down on the ground and walk along behind me. I put it in a cage at night. I had it for about a month and came home from school one day and it was gone. I always wanted another one but never found a nest that was easy to get to and had birds the right age in it.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Wow, that's pretty wild. I have not had one as a pet, nor have I seen anyone with one. But I can imagine it would be pretty cool to have one, they are very smart birds and have a very large "Language of their own". I have always respected them.

Zakk:)

3. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It sounds like it would be pretty neat.I've never had one but I've had to eat crow on occasion ;)

4. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    my father in law had crows as pets. They would shimmy up a tree and catch one out of the nest. He lives on a farm and said they were great pets.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Grumpy,

I spent a few years in Alaska, and new a few people that had them as pets. I was amazed out how smart they were, and how tame they became.

I always did want one secretly :)

Paul

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    A lady at my work had one before it disappeared. She turned it loose, and it hung around for quite awhile before it flew off.

She kept it out in her barn for awhile in a cage. In case you didn't know...Crows CAN mimic sounds they hear just like a parrot or a Mockingbird can and will do. It was out in the barn...with the chickens. It picked up the "Bock Bock Bock BAAACAWWWK!" a chicken makes when it lays an egg.

LMAO...you talk about entertainment value!!! Just think...there's a crow out there somewhere that sounds just like a chicken! Wouldn't that freak you out if you didn't know the story??

You're out in the woods hunting...and you SWEAR you hear a chicken somewhere! LOL

7. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    Sound cool can you buy them anywhere? I had a pet racoon as a kid is was great.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The old saying..."Nuttier than a pet coon"...is a true one...Lol. My uncle used to have one...WOW!! That thing had a bucket of bolts loose in its head. It was just a mess.

9. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Looks like someone is looking to contract bird flu.

10. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    We shot all the crows we could when visiting my grandparent's farm. Those devils would eat just about everything they could from the pecans to the corn.

Now you want to talk about a unusual pet...try a possum. My Mother when leaving the farm one day saw a momma posum dead on the road. She stopped because she saw a bunch of her little ones running around. She caught one and brought it home for us kids to raise. It was fun to have a round. After it got some size our friends would keep their distance especially when it rolled those lips back and showed his teeth when aggitated.

My younger brother would take it for walks and the looks he would get for folks was worth the looks we would get. When someone would pick on my brother he would go get the possum and they'd leave him alone for sure.

That possum (we called it Min-Rat) would get up on your shoulder and wrap it's tail around your arm or neck and you could go anywhere with it. If someone would get too close to you it would show it's teeth and snarl at them. That was it's way of trying to protect you.

11. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I never had one but an ole man down the road from us did..He let it ride on his shoulder like a parrot. It could "talk" too.

I did have a baby squirrel as a pet for a while, what a treat. I wish I had another one or two now.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My brother had a pet crow. Took it from the nest. It was something else, also a thief, it would steal just about anything. Someone shot and killed it... long after that we found where it had been hiding all the stuff he took.

I had a couple pet raccoons, raised them from babies. They finally started sucking eggs and my dad made me sell them.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    My Great uncle ran a bull dozing business back in the 70's and 80's, and he found a nest of flying squirrels after he had bull dozed their tree they had lived in. (Accidentally) All had died but one...and he kept it and raised it from a baby. That was the neatest thing. He'd put a cracker in his front shirt pocket...and "Rocky" would climb up and crawl into his pocket and get it...and then crawl up on his shoulder and eat it. That was the jumpingest little thing. I remember that from when I was a little kid.

Thanks for jogging my memory. I had forgotten all about that.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've known a couple of people that had one but I never had one myself. Crows are smart birds. From what I have read, the Raven is even smarter than a Crow. I can never tell the difference. I know the Raven is suppose to be larger than a crow but that doesn't help me any. :confused:

15. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    I could be wrong but I think a raven is all black(blueish)beak,feet and all and a crow has yellow-orange beak-feet.I'm sure there's more than one kind of each though, so i'm not sure of about all of them.

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    We had a pet crow when we were kids. We called it midnight. It liked to eat canned dog food and would also fetch a ball of tin foil and bring it back to you. We lived on a county park (my dad was caretaker) at the time and more than once it landed on the bat of a baseball or softball player. My dad would take him for rides in his van and he would sit on the steering wheel. When he made a turn the crow would shuffle his feet in the direction of the turn. We also had a pet magpie when we lived in Wyoming. We didn't have it long because of a weasel killing it.

17. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Crows have black feet and black beak. You been watching to many cartoons!LOL:D Not sure about a raven. I think they have a broader beak and are a little more stocky body.:confused:

18. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    Too many looney tunes.That's possible or maybe it was corn county on Hee Haw.LOL I guess I'm guilty of not paying attention to something I've grown up seeing all the time. Oh well it's not the first time I've had to eat crow :D