Ever Get Tired Of being Boat Captain???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Apr 4, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The responsibility lays with the operater of the vessel, and alot of the other judgment calls. My question is for the Captains... I have been one for around 14 years.. I know it has to look alot different from the front of the boat, to the back! LOL... Any other boat owners ever just wish to relax on the bow of the boat and have a free night out fishing ? Seems to me, We buy the boat, pay insurance, take care of the boat, and have to still worry about the boat when on water!:roll_eyes::wink: Some people please take me out this year for a change!!!!!!!!....LOL....... rollo

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OK Rollo, I'm heading somewhere tomorrow with Bobby Lee. I'm christening the reconditioned boat! Wanna come or meet up for catching some bait?

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason as you know I am a bank fisherman.

But the few times I have fished from a boat for cats, I have noticed that it is alot of work for the person running the boat, especially if you are fishing many spots in a day or night,pulling anchors all the time, trying to get the boat in the right position....Plus hooking the boat up, un hooking when you get home.

I even bought a couple boats in my life, just did not care for the preperation, upkeep, and everything else that you have to do to own and operate a boat.

But it does has it's rewards you get to fish areas us bankers only dream about...You boat fishermen will be catching fish long after us bank fishermen have given up.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    THANK YOU! Even my regular buds don't understand the prep. and maintenance and responsiblitys that go with the payment and insurance. They simply show and go! It wears on my nerves, Most don't offer gas money nor anything. I have a few good friends I have fished with for years that don't have any idea still!!!!! rollo

5. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jason come to Texarkana and we can go in my boat :eek:oooh: Its 26 years old But its my first boat so I enjoy the heck out of it:wink:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    It can be a bit taxing at times. I kinda enjoy it. This way I know everything is bein done rite. :wink: Chances are I invited you out for a day of fishin. So stay to hell outa the way and enjoy the day. LOL! If ya are gonna go out with me my biggest rule is bring what you are gonna eat and drink. Everything else is on me. Gas money is no big deal. I was gonna go anyhow.:wink: If you are a total arse hole don't expect to be goin again. :cool2: Cattin up here is not a big thing. I supply the gear,tackle and bait. I'll watch how ya handle yourself and make my move off of that. Be prepaired for a long day cause I ain't comein in after a few hours. LOL!

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I really enjoy being the "captain"............................. most of the time. I don't enjoy it when the parties I go fishing with don't want to contribute to the work. I once took a guy fishing and he was literally along for the ride unless there was a fish to be reeled in. BUT for the most part, I will just site up in the front with the trolling motor and cut bait and plan my next move, while the people I am fishing with do the catching.

I DO take days where I can just go out by myself and relax and that equals the playing field a bit.

As for prep, I am amazed how much mine went away once I got a respectable boat!!:wink:

8. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Rollo,I understand where you are coming from.Most of the people that go with me are my wife and several close friends.I do most of the prep and tell them to bring what they want to drink as long as it don't contain alcohol.But they know up front if I need them to drop an anchor or pick one up or do anything else,I just tell them to do so and I usually have as much fun as they do.As far as I know there has never been any bad feelings at the end of the fishing trip...

9. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Hey Jason! Hope all is well with you and all my bro's here, especially Skippy, I'm still looking for a Jeff Gordon shirt to wear in all my pics since I lost to him last year, lol!

Now, to answer your question.

No.

I get tired of fishing from the bank and having boats pull up ten feet from me and act like I'm invisible! ARGH!

I'll try to check in more often.

Glad to see your still catchin' the big ones!

:cool2:

ANge

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've always taken people out.Personally i've never expected very much from those that have tagged along other then not asking me to do anything illegal and enjoy the time out on the water. I always figured if I'm headed out anyways and if somebody wanted to tag along, then might as well enjoy the day and company. Never asked for money or anything, just not my style. Anchor duty is pretty easy on my boat now a days, maybe a sore finger once in a while. LOL. I'm out there fishing for the relaxation of it. Never even any agenda to it, just go with the flow.

I guess if I was in it for the money, i'd get my guiding license. But then I'd probably be broke then too.:smile2: It has just never been about the money with me. It has always been about the friendships, good times and relaxation.

11. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well Im new to Boats .An being a Captain is a lot of Pressure for me.I ve fished with the same guy for a year. An we be came a good team.He taught me a lot.An split a ll the cost to go.An was very helpful on spots,an baits.Now we split up as Partners .An I Have only fished with a few guys that worked out as good as Todd.
    Ps, I guess I ve invited my self to go with you .But have never Asked you .Well Im going 3 times next week .An only 1 spot is taken.Give me a call

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Any other boat owners ever just wish to relax on the bow of the boat and have a free night out fishing ?"

LOL!! I have a fishing buddy that absolutely has to be the captain when we take out one of our ten footers,,,
    Works for me, when I go with him we oar and the "captain" does the rowing!! :smile2:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Come on down Jason. I chaufeer ya around anytime. I've always had something that would float. With alot of folks,,,i had rather drive.:smile2::smile2::smile2: I know what your saying though, it's nice to just enjoy the ride sometimes.

14. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would have to agree, the majority of the non-boat owners have no idea what it take to keep a boat ready to go. Let alone the responsibilty of the operation on the water. My brother use to go alot with me but all he did was gripe and moan because of the way I parked the boat. He said that was why he couldn't catch no fish. So one night I let him tell me where he wanted fish on the Ohio river, by the racine P.P. so there would be no bitching. Sure enough he got mad cause I pulled a 15 pounder in from where he would have normally sat.lol. So i guess my point is if someone takes you along be respectfull and help out in which ever way you can. I am sure there are hundreds of people who would like a chance to get to some prime spots only reachable by boat. I have a few more but I'll save them for later.

P.S. anyone close that ever wants to go on the Scioto give me a shout.I have the boat that can get us there.

15. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Sometimes it's tiring, but, being captain has it's perks. I have one fishin' buddy that if I'm tired of being captain, I just let him be, and he does the same on his boat. Right now I am not snaggin' with my buddies that aren't helping me fix the water pumps on both of my boats they want to snag in, hmmm. I guess today, YES, I'm tired.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I guess im gonna eat crow now! LOL.. Being Captain ain't that bad. You get to fish the back of the boat usually in the prime spots especially around logjams. Seemed to be rewarding today!:roll_eyes: rollo

17. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Come on down to Oklahoma and I will take you out, just don't get mad if I catch a bigger fish:smile2:

18. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Rollo,
    While I really like taking people out and helping them catch fish I do enjoy the opportunity to go with someone on their boat and be free of the onus of finding and catching fish. Sometimes throwing the net and hauling the anchor is a lot more relaxing that running the boat...W

19. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man you said it bud! Whenever I let someone drive mine I absolutley love chilling out in the passenger seat! Me too, someone please take me out! I will pull the anchor!:smile2::eek:oooh::crazy::wink:

20. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Last year I could have agreed, but this year if your on my boat might as well toss the poles overboard...Man I am struggling big time!:sad2: