Ever Find Anything Strange While Fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Apr 3, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I once was fishing a rual area of the Little Miami River in Greene County , Ohio & came upon a big pile of bones. The bones didnt look to be from deer or any wild animal that I was fimilar with. I went home (about 20 minutes away) but my mind got the better of me & I called the local police department (Yellow Springs, OH). They wanted me to meet them near the area of then bones. I did thta & after a while the cop decided that they wer indeed deer bones, som of which were missing or had been carried off. To this day I am still not so sure if they really were deer bones. I was thinking of this the other day and got me wondering if anyone has ever found something very creepy or errie such as this whie fishing or while looking for a place to fish. Any stories to share?

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    It was not me, but several years ago a fisherman found a body (bones) on the Ohio River bank near here.
    Turned out that they were from a old single grave (1800s) that had washed out of the bank.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ive found all kinds of crap, nothing too weird though. after a flood i came across an old rusted iron coal stove washed up on a gravel bar. it looked identical to ones i seen in pics from the 1913 flood that were collected in huge piles during the cleanup, who knows it might have been from then. found a couple purses under or near bridges where the snatchers had dumped them. they still had i.d's (no money or credit cards of course) so i was able to return them to the owners. found an old beer bottle in mint condition high up on a small hill near the bank where a flood of long ago deposited all kinds of stuff, freinds dad collects bottles and said it was from a brewery in kentucky that went out of buisness in 1925-30. that remimnds me, i need to get it back before he forgets i am the owner! im sure i'll think of more stuff later......

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think the weirdest thing I found was a 22 rifle in the Mad River,all rusted out and another time I found a 9 MM gun just off the bridge of the LMR at Fairgrounds Rd, Both were forwarded to the local Game warden/Sherrifs dept.

I have found several trash piles with mail in them and had several folks get visits from local Game Officers which required them to go pick up the trash.

Several trashed bicycles like the one we saw last weekend Mellon! and the most interesting thing is what I have never found!! As much local tromping around as I do on the local swaters, I am suprised that I havent came across any "floaters" yet. but one of my friends found one about 10 years ago down by Carrilon Park, apparently a homicide that someone dumped into the river.
    Oh well there is always next week!!;)

Salmonid

5. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    When I was about 17, My friend and I were fishing near a sand bar when a large tug boat came through and sucks the water way down. When it came back up, it came way back up., and we saw what appeared to be a coffin floating up on the sand bar. It popped up, rolled over then went back into the river. Thats been 20yrs ago and to this day when I see that guy we still talk about that coffin.

6. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Back in about 87 I was stationed in Louisiana and fished all the time. One day while boat fishing on Lake Kincaid, I saw a spider nearly as big as my hand on a stump about a half mile from shore, there were no other stumps as far as I could see, how the heck did that thing get out there??

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    A couple of times I have found fishing rods left behind, once one had a fish on! The strangest though, is finding a rod and reel and complete loaded tackel box. You could tell my that it was someone new to fishing by the junk in the box! It was like they gave fishing a try and didnt like it, and just walked away! I have also found strigers with fish on them! Also, once fishing with my dad, we found this huge gold ring (pimp, gangsta, rapper, bling)24k almost 40grams. I turned it in! Turned it into new tires for my truck and a digital camera:)

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I found a couple of strange things while fishing on the internet one time. One is an ugly old thing that loves Twinkies. The other one can't seem to stay in a boat to save his life and loves to fish with hooks that don't work. I won't say any names, but those are the two strangest things I've ever found while fishing. Right DH and Chuck? LOL

9. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I found the strangest thing I have ever seen while going fishing, one day I went to Cumberland Tennessee to go fishing at right at the boat ramp I seen this. its still tops the list for me.

10. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol that is a great pic. probably the wierdest thing i ever saw was one night i was bank fishing and a boat floated by downstream with nobody in it, and there spotlight was still on. kinda creepy

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That would be creepy.

12. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    nothing really creepy i guess. well once i found a pair of ice skates about 20 feet apart. the scary thing was there were socks still in the them, kind of wonder if someone fell through the ice and didn't come back up but most likely fell through and couldn't swim well with ice skates on so took them off before trying to get out.

last year while fishing i was in a kayak fishing for smallmouth and i looked down and saw a stove about 20 feet down. the funny thing was right after i saw it i hooked a 19 inch smallmouth and was the biggest smallmouth to date. seeing a stove would normally be kind of creepy especialy in the remote location i was at but last spring there was a flood on the river and all kind of things are being found now.

also last year when the Delaware river was flooding, worst flood in 50 years i was helping move everything out of my grandfather basement to the 1st floor then everything from the 1st floor to the neighbors house.well we saw a house float down the river! most of it was underwater but you could clearly see the 2nd floor windows and the roof.

13. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    I've got two that pop into mind.
    Once I caught about a 3 lb. largemouth that had a 10" plastic worm hanging from his butt. Onlly half of it was sticking out so I helped him a little seeing how he had no hands... Weird. Im sure he was a much happier bass afterwards...

The other thing still bothers me and I pick up at least a bag of trash each time out because of it. I was about 13 fishing the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels, TX and found a dead snapping turtle that had stuck his head through a 6-pack plastic ring and suffocated to death. I still have that vision like it was yesterday..:sad:

14. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    One day a friend and I where floating down to our fishing spot when I saw a horn sticking out of a cut bank. We paddled over to it and pulled it out of the bank it was an old bison skull. I think it was a good luck charm because I caught my first flathead that night.

15. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm sure he wasn't too happy with the extraction:eek: , but it sounds like it all came out O.K. :rolleyes:

I haven't really seen anything that strange other than a boat come over a 6' dam w/ nobody in it. That'll wake you up when you're wading just below the dam. The peopl walked out about 1/2 mile up when the boat sank because they forgot the plug. It was a row boat and they couldn't get to shore fast enough.

16. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Never caught anything weird...but I was working third shift one night and pulled my car into one of the local parks to check out a pond that I fish on my off days. Saw a guy standing next to the water. Since the park was closed, I was going to be nosy and see what he was up to. By the time I turned my car around, he was gone. Walked up to the spot where he was standing, no footprints in the mud at all no dew disturbed on the grass. Freaked me out big time. Either I was really fatigued and my eyes played tricks on me..or ?

17. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I didnt catch it but a buddy of mine was fishing at a local lake and started to reel his line in to check it and it got heavy all of a sudden. He brought it in and there was an old steel army helmet on the other end of his line. It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen it had moss and stuff on it since it was in there so long. He had just caught it by the chin strap which was almost detereiorated and brought it in. It was weird!

18. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I found a chrome switch blade (smith & wesson) In the sand once about
    a $100 knife.

19. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Tried to anchor a houseboat on KY Lake a few years ago. Couldn't get the anchor to hold and pulled it up. Found a foot-control trolling motor caught in the flukes; let it dry for a couple days, tried it, it worked, and I sold it.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My neighbor, and avid air boat guy, found a skull in the Cimmaron River with a bullet hole in the front,center. Took it to the police and they sent it to the University of Oklahoma. Did some type of a carbon test on it and came back with the conclusion that this was the skull of an indian that had met Coronado's group... They kept the skull. LOL