Ever find an arrowhead? I did yesterday...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by buddah, Apr 21, 2007.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Tom, Amy and Myself took our dogs running down at the river on an old farm field and I was walking back and something caught my eye... It was a SPEAR head not just the usual little (usually broken) arrowheads and it was a white color. we usually find them in black/red/brown but whit-ish is very rare and it looks a little different than I'm used too. Here are the pictures of some I've found and that spear head. If anyone knows about this kind of thing let me know. I know that the "Susquehannock" and "Leni-lenape" indians were here and maybe Iriquois (cause of found "trade goods") but I'd like more information on these if at all possible.

Sorry the pictures are kinda blurry, (cheapo-camera)

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi

Anyone??? :confused2:

3. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jay,

Sorry, don't know a thing about it, other than... it sure does look like a spear head!
    You spose it was used to spear fish in that river?
    Will check back here later to see whether anyone has further info... for now,
    GAWN FEESHIN' ! :lol:

Have a great day :cool2:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know anything about arrowheads/spearheads, but when I was going to school at Cookville, Tennessee some of us were exploring a cave with a stream flowing out of it, and we found several arrowheads in the streambed. The cave had a large entrance, so I guess it was used as a sheltered camping spot for Indians. Locals said that it wasn't unusual to find arrowheads, knives, and spearheads in the surrounding hills after a hard rain, but I never checked that out.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thank you! I know that thier is an actual group of Arrowhead hunters (that HAVE get permission/blessings, every year from the farmers) to "hunt" on thier land. You'd think thier would be none left? but there certainly is alot found every year! They say that the frost brings em' up. Probably true! This one was found right on top of a freshly dug ground-hog (whistle pig) hole. I cant find him to thank him though! LOL

6. big cat

big cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    its not a true arrowhead they used to use that as kinda of like a knife they used to use it to peel bark away from trees to make rope and to get little dead bark to stat a fire they also used it to make caneos i sont know how to spell but those boat things lol well anyway they found a ceartin type of log and hollowed out the inside to make a boat my grandma was full bloded native american so i know these things lol :wink:

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I used to find a boat load when fishing in NJ. I had also found some that were incomplete for whatever reason. There is a creek behind my old house that we used to find tons of arrows and tools. They were from the Lenape indians. We used to find rock bases of old fish traps and most were good spots to catch various fish.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jay ,I actively hunt for Arrowheads and ,If I can remember where I put them I have a few books on them I'll look and let ya know . If you have a Hastings near you ,they will or should have a few books on the subject . the 'spear in your pic appears to be a 'gouge ' to me I have several that look almost identical.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I have an update on that spear point! It IS a spearhead and predates arrowheads by over a 1000 years!! I asked a professor (I guess) at the Pennsylvania Archaeology sites and surveys center and he said that "the site it was found on" and "what it is made of" (some kind of soapstone believe it or not) is what they call THE PALEO-INDIAN PERIOD
    (12,000 B.C. - 8000 B.C. )
    and is, as I understand it anyway, a very significant find! I actually documented the exact spot I found it (which I guess is rare among arrowhead hunters) and so the spearhead has it's "archaeological value". He gave me a wealth of information just because I had those silly numbers...who knew? Any how, the spear was used to hunt for large game at close range. The area at the time was "Tundra" and a very different climate than today. Here is an arial photo that shows where I found them (if your still interested) and here is the same pic un-obstructed.

here is some other interesting facts I dug up...
    THE PALEO-INDIAN PERIOD
    12,000 B.C. - 8000 B.C.

Few people realize how long Pennsylvania has been inhabited. The earliest Indians came here from Asia many thousands of years ago, when the glaciers were receding. This marks the beginning of what we call the Paleo-Indian period. The climate was much different from that of today; the landscape was in part tundra, and in part composed of scattered stands of spruce and fir. Small, wandering bands of hunters and their families followed herds of big-game animals, mostly of species now extinct.

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I have. I'll have to keep my eye out for other things. By the way..If you do ever find any artifacts it pays off to collect as much "data" as humanly possible on the exact area of the find. If it's really signifigant then you'll have to do one of these forms. I didn't though, but the sites info was updated though! :big_smile: I was asked to donate it...Ummm. Maybe. What do you think I oughtta do with it?

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Here are those "silly numbers" incase you wanted to know..Long: 77.24174 Lat: 41.18848

they are what holds the "Archaeological value" of my artifact.

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Youins really oughtta check out this new update. I posted this kinda early so it kinda got "buried" if you will so I thought I'd "BUMP" it back up top so you all could see what I have found out! :big_smile:

12. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    im no expert in Native American artifacts, but i find my fair share of them down here. down here all the land was primarily Muscogee Indian, better known as Creek. but those must be pretty old and they're in great condition from what i can tell. never found a spear head like that.

13. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey, Jay... I think it's very cool that you pursued this and were able to get some answers! Thanks for the lesson in documenting any finds and how to report them. You done good :lol:

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Couple pics for ya.

I've found a few. Most are broke , maybe not finished. Got some I aint took pic's of.
    mounted a couple in throwing sticks just for something to do. . The necklace. Its a rock with a hole through it. hard to tell but it has been shaped so others can be added to it. I was told several things about it. They used it for rank, kills etc. guess it depended on shape size or whatever. I was told the hole , which is perfect, was done by sand and stick.
    That took some time. LOL.
    I got a buddy who looks for arrowheads all the time. he is really into it. He has over a hundred good one's and the same in broke ones. he has some worth 3K a piece. I aint got pics of them. the frame pics are his finds.

the 2 big stones in pic, laying in what looks like a holder for them. My buddy said they are throwing stones, used for hunting. I did see pic's of some just like it for sale on internet and the necklace one.

Anyway. thats bout all i can help ya with. try www.arrowheads.com for inf..

good luck.

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rest of pic's. My post is too short so I added. LMAO

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi

Wow! Thats quite the collection you got! Do you actually go looking for them though?

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes but I make no special trips. When fishing, waiting on a bite I sometimes walk around edge of water looking for arrow heads. I'm not good at spotting them. mostly just find old fishing stuff, and trash. LOL.
    My friend, made a hobby out of it. has some 6" long. The pics in frames are his. One's on floor, necklace and throwing stones are mine. You can see he is the better scout when finding arrow heads. He has all the talk to go with each one. LOL. its cool .

18. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    Yes,

It does indeed look like a spear.

Here are a few of my recent finds
    [​IMG]

19. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Wow, they all are beauties! I hope to get to do this in the near future.

I particularly like the one Clint posted of his, which appears to be quartz with red running thru it, or blood stains? Which is it, Clint? Is it quartz?

Take care and thanks to all y'all finders!
    Cheryl

20. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee

It is some type of quartz.
    I like the black flint ones myself