Ever caught a 5lb carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by santeecat12, Jun 28, 2006.

1. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    one day me and countrycat15 went fishing at robinson lake.well after about 15or30 mins my bobber shot up.i was in for a fight...and a good one after about5or10mins i landed him it was a 3lb carp that i had caught on millet.i didnt think we would catch anything cause how hot it was but i went home happy i will put some pics up:big_smile:

2. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    congrats on your catch. hope there are many more to come..

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    nice job on the carp. use him for cut bait and youll get yourself a nice cat.

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    My biggest carp is about 10 lb. They do fight quite well! :lol:

5. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    thank you...i hope yall catch some

6. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    caught a 12lber a couple weeks ago my biggest to date.. best fight of my life

7. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Way to go, Harley. Carp are a blast to catch. My biggest one this year was a little over 7 pounds. But, there are monsters out there, just a waiting, for us to put some corn or a good doughball in front of them.

Screaming drags to you!!

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Biggest I ever caught was 15 lbs ,36 inches long from tip of his nose to tip of tail. Caught it on a Zebco 202 years and years ago. was using corn. Don't fish for them much anymore .Now its pretty much Cats only. They will give a good fight.

9. iowacatman

iowacatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My largest was 19 pounds caught on canned corn. I basically fish for catfish and carp. Caught a 9 pound big head carp while fishing for channel cat using a piece of hotdog. Carp will hit on night crawlers also. Plus, smoked carp are delicious!

Iowacatman:big_smile:

10. 26 pounds on a trotline baited with catalpa worms. Pound for pound he was twice as hard to get in the boat as any similar sized cat I have ever caught.
    Personally up until that point I had no use for carp. After I put that one back on the line the next evening (in a slightly different form:lol: ) I discovered I do have a use for them. My own little loaves and fishes miracle. Twenty six pounds of unwanted fish became 100+ pounds of very desirable fish overnight.

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Congrats on the carp, I've caught them from just over 1lb all the way up to 20lbs, still in search of a 20lb+ carp though:cool2: . Great fighters and good hitters too, they can pull your rod in the water so fast you won't even know what happened. One thing I love about carp is they will hit in the heat of the day, I've caught some big ones in the middle of July when the temp is in the 90's.

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish little brother, caught a 9lb last year. Good luck on the water.

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    They are fun to fight for sure! Congradulations on your catch! I have caught several over 10 pounds! Most of the ones I have caught have been on night crawlers and red worms! I seen one caught on live shad that must have been over 20 pounds and took half an hour to land! They will also take carp minnows!

14. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Eric in your travels sometime check out a place called Faundoloc Springs..fawn-do-lock, it's in Peoria, Il. When I was a kid I fished there several times. They have three lakes, one for carp, one for cats, and the largest lake has an assortment. I caught several carp over 25lbs. in the first lake using their dough bait. You talk about fight. I don't know if the place is still there, but it was a nice place to fish and picnic with the family.
    Don

15. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    To some of you, you might not beleive this but i am sure some of you have had some dealings like myself. I live in Northeastern Missouri, in some of the small tributaries to the Mississippi we have runs of Chinese "Silver" Carp. When running lines on these rivers the past few summers we have ran into these things. Instead of swimming out of the way of the boats they jump out of the water entirely. I have had them jump right into my lap and another time one nearly knocked my buddy out of the boat. We have caught several this way in the 15-20 pound range. It is insane.

16. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hav caught tons of carp in ******** and a few at Guist Creek Lake in Shelbyville,Ky. my hometown...They truly do put up a good fight and great for the young ones to catch and if they bite ya it only tickles, hehehehe Shanadoia:lol:

17. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    my biggest is a 11 pound 7ounces on nightcrawler.

18. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    congrats on the carp. hmm i dont think i ever remeber catch a carp samller then 6# actualy. the average size carp i catch is about 10-13 with my largest at 19. im also in the hunt for a 20 plus and maybe even a 30 one day. ive seen them before in the river so i got a good shot.

19. From reading this thread I realize my 26 pounder was big. To think I just thought it was average as I have seen bigger many times on this river.
    Never really paid them no mind as I have always considered them to be a rough fish. I now know they make excellant cut bait.

20. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nice catch there bud! My largest was 20#'s in a running river. Caught it on heavy enough gear since I was catfishing with nightcrawlers, but I thought I was pulling up the stopper holding all the water in the river! Every time I'd get him close to the boat he'd run again back to the bottom that was about 15' deep. Carp are one of the hardest fighting fishes I know of.