Ever catch the same flathead catfish twice in one night

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catchinghogs, May 29, 2006.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I went fishing last night and caught the same flathead twice.FIrst had a bluegill on and the baitrunner went off I set the hook and the fish swam me into a snag.After several minutes of trying to break the fish off I broke my line.After about a hour or so i had a white bass on and the baitrunner went again I set the hook and brought the fish in an eight pound flathead.I noticed the flathead had my berkely fireline hanging out of his mouth with the barrel swivel still attached.I looked in his mouth and I could see the tail of the bluegill not fully digested yet.Amazing how the fish was eating again before digesting the bluegill.Anyone ever see anything like this before?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mark, my friend and I were anchored one day and he hung a decent fish. After a couple minutes fight the knot came loose at the hook. We fished there a while longer, then started to drift fish. I caught a channel cat about five pounds and there was his hook, still in the cats mouth. Vern

3. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just last night I was fishing were a creek runs into a river. My brother hooked a fish and got hung up on a log and had to cut his line. about 30 min. later he reeled in a small flat that had his line he broke in its mouth. At first were we got the same line, we thought we both had caught it. then when he pulled the line in it was his.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I broke off a channel cat last year on some rocks. Two days later in the same area I caught him. He still had my hook, but somehow the tip had bene broken or worn off. I pulled both hooks out and sent him on his way.

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught the same catfish in less then a minute after it broke my line it went right down and grabbed my other line and I got it in with both hooks in its mouth. And last year me and big george were fishing the Ohio River and he caught the same fish two days in a row.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    not sure about the same night but same year yes and the year after too. me and polcat caught a flaty with a distinct deformation on its face(we named it bumper nose). next year we caught it again(same location). about a month later we caught it again and got it on video(same location). we are lookin forward to meeting up with this fish again this season too.

deerhunter, did george figure out you had divers down there yet? lol

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    He!! I can't seem to catch one the first time much less twice. LOL

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    They will gorge themselves. Does not surprise me at all.

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    After it broke my line 45 min later it was caught.

10. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Me and my mom was fishing a spot together and I caught a 26"flathead and about 20min. later she caught a 26"flathead that I think it was the same fish.

11. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Never caught the same fish on the same night, but have a day or two later.

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Happened twice last year.
    * Similar story: He broke off on a snag and came back to pick up another line.

It is nice when you give so much when trying to catch them, that they give a little back.
    :)

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Y'all wouldn't have that problem if you wouldn't practice CPR! Geez! We are going to have to keep an eye on youe and when you say you caught 5 fish last night we'll know it's only 2 1/2! :big_smile:

14. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thats funny .Was wandering why i catch so many fish.

15. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    we stayed out all night on santee cooper one time and i woke up to a bait clicker going off. Got up and reeled in a 5lb channel that also had a hook in his mouth from another rig we had out on the other side of the boat. It sure was a mess when we got him to the boat and he had about 6 lines tangled up. The other hook was my friends rod and he hadn't caught a fish all night. I told him it was too bad he didn't get to count this one either because i reeled it in. haha.

16. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    dude i USED to fish with caught the same flat THREE times in one nite! first time he got broke off, 2nd time it still had the 1st hook in its mouth. 3rd time we thought he looked familiar and sure enuff the weight was x-act and the hook holes were there! that was on the kanaw river point pleasant west va by god!

17. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    me and dad caught a 8 inch smallmouth bass a total of 6 times in a 3 hour time period the last time i stufffed a hellgramite in its mouth and set it loose

18. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    I found a very small hole in the river i fish, it was just big enough for one decent size flat. I lost 13 bluegills in about 30 minutes to him.. Tried every type hook I had in my box, could not get a hook in him. Got him to the surface a few times. Looked to be about 20 lbs. or so. It was right before spawn, guess he was hungry. Infuriating!!! Have a good one, Chuck.