Ever catch a clam?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by rednecksportsman511, Feb 20, 2006.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes, a clam. Yesterday I was fishing a lake at the hunting club for bass w/ a red worm, when I pulled up what I thought was a snag. Nope, it was a freshwater clam. The thing had clamped down on my worm! It couldn't have been trying to eat it, b/c they are siphon feeders, they just get food out of particles floating in the water. I figure it was just scooting along and accidentally clamped my worm. I split it open with my knife, and thought about using the insides for catfish bait, but I didn't have my cat rod on the four-wheeler, and I had fished for cats a couple of hours the day before and didn't even get the slightest hint of a bite. I caught one bass, and over two days we caught around twelve. I didn't fish the entire time though, pig hunted both mornings I was out there. I saw one pig, but it bounded off too quick for me to get a shot off, and we put a stalk on it, but it was long gone.

2. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    John,

You da man!!! Hogs, hawgs and clams sounds like the breakfast of champions. :rock-big:

Mike

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I often catch clams in the delta here, sometimes every other cast! Ambitious little creatures, lol! Here in the delta a clam bed is a good sign to find sturgeon!

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    you should have used that dude for bait - there are many catfish caught out of the arkansas river that have a belly full of mussels.....lol...their stomach feels like it is full of gravel when you rub it

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would of fished with it. Even on a small ploe, the fight would have be great!!

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    As those guys said, clams are great bait for eater size cats! When I was growing up, I had never heard of any bait besides clams, worms and sardines! We use to get big clams from the rivers at low tide, but not any more!

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've caught a few at Santee that were big, I'm talking around a pound.

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    have caught clams before but not that often. I have caught oysters before on the coast and lol i swear i felt it bite the hook.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes I have caught alot of clams! Catfish like clams, if you are catching clams there is a good chance there are cats around.:)

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Fresh water mussels. Will shut on what ever touches them. That is the way we catch them here. Used to do that for a living for a year. Catch 250 lbs per day of them/
    Some of them would weight 3 to 5 lbs. Washbords is what they were. High dollar shells.
    And they do make great bait.
    PEte

11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I've caught a few on the Mississippi but they were clamped around my line and were pretty small. Hard to target, LOL.

I would like to find some mussel beds around here. It would be a good place for cats to hang out. Pete, any way to locate them aside from jumping over the side of the boat? :rolleyes:

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I wish I could tell you a sure fire way to find them. but its hard. I learned form my dad and grandad.
    Most of them on the Tn river is from the dam to God knows where. Most of the river is mussle beds. About any place that is sand will have beds. The shells are stacked on top of each other. and around here in 12 to 30ft of water.
    Also about any good sand and gravel bars you catch lots of smaller blues on has a great chance of having mussle beds on them.
    Pete

13. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Caught a few here and ther until last year when it seemed like they were on a rampage...........6 in one night:mad: