Ever been spooled?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bnt55, Sep 12, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I was talking to a guy today who said he was spooled by a big fish recently and it got me thinking how many of us have been spooled by a cat?

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    It happened to me one time:wink:

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wish one would try.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea, by a flathead, 50 pound test, no joke, i had to lock it down and it pulled me in the ater then snap, 90 pound flat,what else ,no blues here,just flats,if i got it in i would of held ill flat record ,

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I've been spooled 3 times snagging. Probably a big spoonbill, but may have been a big flat head.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    them blues will spool you, if your on the bank, from what i here, but, ive yet to get a giant blue, 50 or over, , biggest blue is 15 pounds, flat is 50, i hope i can get spooled almost lol by a blue but still land em lol

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never been spooled but have pulled anchor to keep it from happening. I've had fish to pull me around a few times. I let the drag work for me.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Same here Mickey: But I've still been broke off a few times trying to put to much pressure on them.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    So of the hundreds, if not thousands of catmen on the BOC, they have been spooled 5 times. Hardly justifies that 100 lb test line. LOL

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Never even been close to being spooled. I would think it is more likely in a big river or deep lake.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You know Jake........same thing here, LOL! I have lost many 150 lb Blues.:roll_eyes: Every single one that has broken me off has been at least a State Record fish!:smile2: Gonna go get me some 200lb Power Pro and a whole chicken for bait. Gonna get that sucker!:wink:

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I think the 200# line and whole chicken will do the trick:wink:

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i got u and skipeye beat..... i was using a live goatabout 3hands tall as bait on the ohio river below newburg dam using 1/4" cable on my anchor winch as a reel with a j hook off my wrecker and got my boat sank right to the bottom when a big ole volkswagon sized flathead[you know the one that lives below all the dams] sucked that goat in and made a run for it !!!! boy you should have seen it!! world record fish 3 times over i tell ya... bet he was close to 1500#:wink:

14. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I came close one time had 1 wrap of line left on the spool. I was usng a spinning reel with 20# Trilene fishing fast moving water. When the fish hit it headed down river like a rocket. I used my drag to slow him down as much as I could without locking it down for fear of breaking off. It was a 31# blue in fast water with a 20# test line. That fish was proof to me that there is NO need for 100# line for cats as long as one knows how to use a drag and uses their rod to fight a fish. I see to many ppl trying to use their reel to fight a fish and they break off more times then not with large fish. I've said it before and I'll say it again - reels are made to pick up line,your drag is to slow down the feed of line from your spool,Your rod is made to fight the fish. Forget any of these 3 things while fishing and you just may loss that once in a life time fish.

15. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been spooled once I think it was a monster striper. I had 50 pound spiderwire on and locked my reel and we just sat there fought for the rod. So I gave him alittle drag and he just took off and I heard a snap and I fell to my knees. I couldn't beleive it just happened. O well i will get it next time.

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i always run a fairly loose drag. since i mostly drift i have used my trolling motor several times to keep up with a big hard running blue.

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I was spooled many times when I was younger and fishing with inadequate gear. got spooled in a 5 acre pond that was only 4 ft deep once using 12 lb test fishing for channels,made a single drag burning run and bang spooled. the pond dried up a couple years after that and we found that there were some big flatheads in there,or what was left of them anyway found 5 or 6 flathead skulls that would have belonged to 40 to 50 lb fish. Since using reels with spools big enough to hold 200 to 500 yards or line and heavy lines and stout poles that can put some pressure on fish havn't been spooled but once,when something decided I didn't need the 300 yards of braided 65 lb test and that the 4 lb carp bait was his.He got in the current and headed downstream like he was just in no hurry,I could feel him shake his head now and then,at then the line was all gone.

18. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    no matter the loss of line and lure, I still think it would be a humbling and exciting experience to be spooled by a superior fish..:worship:

19. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I have been spooled one time...there was little to no current and my buddy could not get the anchor up...it was hung on something....I never turned his head as he headed to the river channel and I use big gear...needless to say I have never let my buddy live it down...

20. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Spooled once, broken off many times. Set the hook on one and he went south--never stopped, never turned, never even looked back to see my tears:smile2::smile2::smile2: Hmmm, wonder if it was a barge:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::sad2: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink: