Ever Been Caught Red-Handed Releasing A Fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 31, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just checking to see who prefers to release them biguns? :wink: rollo

Attached Files:

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've also got some red hands releasing em too!:wink:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My Boat, I try to suggest catch and release! It's ok in my opinion to keep some smaller fish, but like to see the biguns swim! rollo

Attached Files:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is another blue from the James River that was CPRed..... Goes to show that I support CPR not only in my state or where I fish, but everywhere I fish! I think the big fish need to be taken care of and released!!! rollo

Attached Files:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know I am beating this in the ground lately!!!! But,, PLEASE CPR!!!!! :wink: rollo

6. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Since I don't like to eat fish, that's all I do is release everything I catch. Everyone I fish with, also practices CPR.

Attached Files:

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    johnnies got a pic of the one in my avatar swimming off.

i don't have a pic of it,but some old man threatened to whip my a** at deer creek cause i threw a 12 pound channel back and didn't offer it to him,lol
    he said the next one i catch i better give it too him.

8. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Ok you got me! Iv never kept any thing over 10#.

9. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I believe CPR is a must! As most of you know I have twin boys on the way and like said before, I want them to have the chance at catching some big fish. We dont know if that big fish we caught was 5 yrs old or 50yrs old. It takes time to grow big fish and only some fish get that big. I believe its like whitetail antler development, certain bucks have good genetics and can grow a larger rack quicker. I believe fish are the same way. So If you take these fish out of the water before they get to spread there genetics then we might be cutting down on the population of big fish all together! I have steered alot of guys and buddies of mine to become 100% CPR. Its all worth it in the long run!

10. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will always CPR 10lbs and up.I love these big girls and boys so much I don't think I could ever put a fillet knife on em.If you do keep some fish I think 5 lbs and under taste way better anyway.And the way I see it is If you keep a 30 lber that you waited 36-48hrs to catch and you keep it thats one less trophy fish that can't spawn or can't be caught again.And trophy fish are hard to come by.Keep your hands wet when your handling them and send them back on there way!!!!

11. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    How about when your releasing a 35# flathead and you got two guys argueing with you like they caught the fish that are telling you if you dont want it let them take it and shaking there heads mumbling under there breath when you released it. This happened to me a few years back fishing at a dam. I released a bunch of flats that day it was a really good night fishin and about 6am I had two guys walk up on me why I was releasing the last one. I told them I let all big fish go and they started in. I finally just walked off before we got into it. Normally people will just say something like I sure would have kept that fish but these guys wouldnt let it go. Ive never even ate a flathead, I eat fiddler channel cats out of our farm ponds. I practice CPR but alot of people dont which doesnt bother me to much unless there the guys taking alot of monster fish all the time.

12. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've ran into some turds like that.I can't stand ignorant people like that.Its your fish you can release them if you want

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You guys just throw them back in the river. I'm actually kinda gentle and walk them back in the river.:smile2::cool2:

Farm raised catfish from the store is much much more cleaner, safer, and healthier to eat.

I have never eaten a Schuylkill River flathead

Attached Files:

14. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with ya brothers. All big fish return to the big beautiful waters so we can meet again.

15. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    yep ive been caught several times releasing fish from my buddy steve thats a guide.

i grew up old school and vary rarely ever threw them back .

he talked to me about the genetics of large fish and how slow they grow here in missouri and a 50 lber could be 30 + years old , so im trying to do better every year at turning fish over 15 lbs or so lose . im not a 100 % at it yet but getting better . I try to get a pick in the boat or at my dads house where we keep the boat then take them back to the river and lettem go , the harbor boat ramp is like 2 minutes from him so they survive fine in that short of a trip .

last year when i took some buddies we didnt even keep 1 we threw them all back , and if im by myself i usually throw them back the last few years . because after you do it a few times ya look at them at the end of the fishin trip and think do i really want to clean fish when i get home lol .

my dad is funny i throw them back and he cusses lol but hes getting better . hes 70 and from the old school .

dont get me wrong im not here to preach and dont care what others do with there fish i could care less but after you do it a few times it gets easier and easier.

I just wish they made a red neck proof camera that wouldnt brake or mess up lol :smile2:

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had guys come up to me on a couple of ocassions, after watching me catch a nice flat.

And it's always the same, what are ya going to do with it, why are ya letting it go, can we have it!

I love watching there faces as the fish swim off.

Some people cant be educated on cpr, no matter how hard you try.

17. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Funny timing...

I was watching some fishing shows this morning (yeah, they were mostly crap bass shows, but there WGFS was catfishin' on the Mississippi and there were a couple of Muskie shows) and my wife asked why they threw them all back in... I explained it to her, and she understood...

Then I said something along the lines of "when I catch my first flathead I'll probably have to bring him home, just to show you I can do it!"... Her answer - "Honey, is you catch a big one, I'll drive down to wherever you are to see it so you don't have to worry about killing it!"...

Gotta love her.