Even Bigger 16 pound Trophy Channel

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Blade4130, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Man did it ever rain today. I took a drive to my hometown in Richmond MO to visit my best freind since I figured that I wouldn't be able to fish tonight. His son wanted to come stay a couple of nights and hopefully do some fishing in the next day or two. On the way back to my house we were planning on going to see a movie tonight. <lol> that didn't happen at all. As soon as we got to my house we thought that since it hasn't been raining much for a while we would grab a pole and head to Blue Springs Lake.

Mother Nature kept it dry for the most part with occasional light rain. About a hour in and nothing. Drakes pole bent down with vengence. He grabed it and the fight was on big time. <lol> he could hardly handle the thing and screaming for me to take over. I kept saying no way and that it was all on him. His biggest cat so far is eight pounds and I knew this was going to be much bigger. Ten minutes or so later this monster channel was at the bank with Drake just freaking out with joy on what he landed. I got the fish on dry land and took the hook out of the mouth. God I was so happy for him. I put it on the scales for him and his channel cat went 16 pounds. Right then it started to rain good enough to not be able to get my digital camera out. Still to excited to quit fishing. We put his cat on a stringer and fished in the rain for a while <lol> all the while of him giving me crap for beating my 12 pounder last night. The rain didn't last long thank god and we ended up catching two more small cats. Before letting is huge channel go back we snapped a picture near the dock.

This is a picture of his huge and new PB 16 pound channel. It's fun taking kids fishing and <lol> thank goodness we didn't go see a movie tonight.

Attached Files:

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Great post Don, Going have to keep trying BS :wink:

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    good lookin cat bro.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Nice channel brother!Congratulations.:wink:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Very nice channel cat

7. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    Tell Drake congrats on the monster channel Don. Looks like someone needs to put in more time to beat that:wink:.

8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man, congrats on toughing out the weather and getting out there for another nice channel! Those big channels are some hard fighting fish! Congrats and thanks for the story. Chris

9. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    good looking C-CAT

10. headbanginhillbilly

headbanginhillbilly New Member

State:
    holden,missouri
    its always nice getting showed up by a kid!!

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Congratulations to Drake on a really nice Channel and new PB.Nice fish. And i commend you on the P&R.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to Drake and thanks for taking him!!

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Son and a friend limited out at Jacomo yesterday during and after the rain. The 2 biggest were 10#.

14. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks guys, Drake says hi to everybody and he is smiling big time from your comments:smile2: <lol> I think his ego is getting worse now due to it <lol>. He deserves it and it's all in good fun.

15. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Tell Drake thats is an out standing cat. :wink:

16. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Second night and wasn't nearly as good depending on how you look at it. We thought we would try at the dam since my 12 and his 16 came from a rocky bottom. We made the long trek down and found a spot. Long for me anyways with my knee, but it was great excersise. Got everything ready and I got out my net to get some bait. <lol> I thought I would let him have a shot at throwing my net out. We went over it a couple of times before leaving and his first throw was a good one. It opened up all the way, but the only thing wrong was he didn't get it out very far from shore. It got a rock and tore:sad2: gotta fix it now. Maybe I should have waited for either getting some bait first or a safer spot, but oh'well as you got to start someplace. He did everything fine, just he threw it up and not out.

We didn't have small hooks to try to catch bluegill, but we gave it a try and no luck. So, we just fished with night crawlers and got into some fish. No catfish and it was all carp. We still had such a blast though.

Drake has been fishing with me since last year. He has a couple of zebco's that he uses at his freinds pond when fishing with him. Everytime he is with me, he loves to use one of my abu garcia 6500TCCF blue cat reels and 8ft glowstick rod. I was going to do this tomorrow night, but he has to cut it early and go back home tomorrow. So tonight I surprized the crap out of him and gave him a couple of wacks to the head with that rod and kicked him in the water for beating me with my own rod and reel this week, and busting my net:angry: <lol> Just Kidding!!! I gave him that rod and reel that he loves so much to use. So now he has his very own dedicated catfish rod and reel:big_smile: He is going to remember this week for as long as he lives and I love that more than loosing one of my blue cat reels and rod:big_smile:

17. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana

He is going to remeber that week for the rest of his life. That single act of kindness has set the craze for sure. I give you reps for that.

18. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I gave him that rod and reel that he loves so much to use. So now he has his very own dedicated catfish rod and reel:big_smile: He is going to remember this week for as long as he lives and I love that more than loosing one of my blue cat reels and rod:big_smile:[/QUOTE]

I gave reps for what was done. This will be a week he will remember.:big_smile:

19. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    way to go, bet he is glad he finished the landing part

20. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    Thanks for making a memorable fishing moment for a kid. Reps for teaching a lesson on CPR and giving up one of your catfish setups to someone who will definitley get some use out of it. Teaching a kid to throw a castnet knowing the possibilities of it getting tore up gets kudos also. All in all, you did a great thing for that lucky young man. Hope your generosity is rewarded with a new PB this year. THANKS!!!