European Float Rig - Do you know what type of Catfish Rig this is?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by tomflatcat, Oct 6, 2007.

1. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    What is a European Float Rig? I have heard mention of this but can't seem to find much info. on it.

2. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I read a book on British fishing (it was kinda' in english), and those boys have hundreds of different floats, and hundreds of ways to rig them. They factor in current-sinker size-target fish-bait size etc. They spend hundreds of dollars (I mean pounds) and use all of their vacation, to catch fish that are smaller than our bait. They release everything, especially carp. They have to do this because their waters are so polluted and over-fished,that is all that is left. Short answer to your question---"I have no idea which rig you heard about. Sorry

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    europeon float rig is a set up for carp.its riged so that the float lays on its side and when a carp sucks in the bait it stands up instead of going under.they do this because carp are real bad about spiting the bait if they feel any thing thats not natural.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a couple "euro' float rigs that i use in the river. one is (paternoster rig i think its called) a rig that has a typical 3-way rig with a 2ft or more drop to the 2oz bank sinker with light line, then above it is a slip float with a stop knot. with this rig you can fish any depth up against rip-rap or concrete fill without your bait getting hung up. the drop with the sinker will rest against the rocks and keep the bait in place at the depth you want.

5. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    So basically, it keeps the bait suspended off the bottom? If you were using live bluegill as bait, would it the bluegill get it all tangled up?

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i used to think that but no it doesnt.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Our European counterparts have more time to fish. They have a shorter work week.(lol) Thus they have more time to fish and their waters are over fished. Thus they had to come up with new ways to catch fish. Especially the ever shy carp which is the equivalent of Bass fishing (popularity wise) in this country or probably even more so. They have all types of rigs, floats, and etc. Some of them are been adopted over here. A lot of their rigs are so simple you will say why hasn't anyone every thought of that before.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    how true! too bad we cant have a 35hr work week, and a months vacation like they do:sad2: