European catfish question

Discussion in 'Wels Catfishing' started by veryama1975, Feb 4, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hey, I've been watching some of those youtube vids of people catching huge wels catfish. I've noticed that all of them (the ones I've seen anyway) use spinning rods instead of baitcasters. Anybody know why? I thought it was pretty much universally accepted/believed that baitcasters were better than spinners for bigger fish?

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    good question, im interested to see if anyone can chime in.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    There is not a fish that swims that cannot be caught on a spinning reel. However, spinning reels are usually at least double the price of a casting reel of equal quality and size. The spinning reels those guys use to catch those wels are expensive pieces...W

4. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    veryama1975,
    You will find that they do use Baitcaster reels as well for the Wels Catfish. It all depends on the user and I happen to be one of those that uses Spinning gear as well. For the most part, I happens to be more comfortable with the Spinning reels! My primary Saltwater reels are Baitcasters, but I will use whatever I have available to fish with. We have used both on some outing and some of the guys would immediately say that the fish caught on them would be mine to fight.
    metalman,
    Not all of the reels you see are in the High Price range, but most will be. You can purchase a lesser known brand that will work until you have a 100 lb. + fish and Wish that you had spent the money!!! I have seen this happen with some anglers and just shook my head! You are also Very RIGHT when you say that you can catch any fish on Spinning Gear! It will require you to fight the fish differently than with a Baitcaster though! We have cautght Wels from the shore and also from a boat with Baitcasters and Spinning reels. The shore fight with spinning reels was in my opinion much more of a contest of man versus fish than with the Baitcasters. JMHO!!!!!

HOPPY4

5. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    maybe they prefer spinning to baitcasters like me:big_smile:

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Maybe its just b/c they are British and they do everything backwards like driving on the wrong side of the car on the wrong side off the road!!lol :big_smile:

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    James,
    Yes It would have been more accurate of me to qualify my statement with something like you wrote above. The value of quality is never so understood as when you need it. Those that know do not skimp on the things that matter.
    I agree about the different technique between playing a fish on casting or spinning gear. I maintain that the fish should be played with the rod and the reel used to gather up and store the line gained. Spinning reels definitely need this method but I do this regardless of the gear I'm using.
    It really makes me cringe when I see someone with an over stout rod winching in a fish with an oversize reel like they were driving a crane:0a23: ...W

8. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I would have to say that is probably just personal preference.

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Thanks Metalman, You are absolutly correct. Set the drag properly then pump and wind. Reel gears are not made to operate as a winch.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I also notice this it seems they tend to prefer spinners over in the UK and Europe. My favorite video is of this one guy who caught a huge wels cat on a Shimano reel. This made me believe that if he caught that monster I should be able to hold my own with a 30lb flathead. (that seems to be the size of the ones down here) I sent a message to this guy thinking for sure the reel will be toast he said it works fine and has caught plenty of large fish. The reel was Shimano Twinpower its most closest equivalent is the Shimano Sustain. One more thing and Hopy can probably verify this. They Europe and Japan get better fishing tackle most we don't see here in the US. I have imported some older reels and just recently a Shimano Spinning reel. However they will cost you an arm and a leg. I am trying to learn how to use a bait caster. I am confident that I will get the hang of it. Unitil I do my trusty spinners will be along my side.....

PS Here is the video -Btw Good example of using the rod to fight the fish..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkU9iFDElaQ