Euro carp tackle

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by countrycat15, Sep 4, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay yall,i have been a carp laker for a while when it comes to carp. but i have been thinking of buying some euro carp tackle. so my quistion is is it worth it,and if yall use any carp euro tackle what kind is it.
    btw-im looking for gear that is cheap and reliable(who i'sint) so any input would helpout alot thanks.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    People use to fish off the old Barges at the mouth of Chapel Branch on the Santee with 20 foot cane poles and the bass rods and reels of the early 50's.In Europe during the 60's,I fished with people who fished for "Pike" and "Carp" with long slender rods.I liked what I saw.I purchased Cabela's 11 foot European Predator rod and 12 foot match rod.Since then I have acquired a 16 foot 3 piece "Wally Marshal Tightline Special" that is rated for 10-25 pound line and 1/4-1 ounce lure.Due to it's action,I think that it would make a excellent Carp rod.I also have B & M and Shooting Star telescopic poles or rods up to 20 feet that I think would make excellent Carp poles and the Shooting star are fairly cheap.Notice!These are not the "rare back and horse them in" poles of your average catfish fisherman.These poles will break before they will turn a 50 pound fish wrong side out and gut him.Carp have soft mouths and are fished as such.All of these poles will accept spinning reels.Luck.peewee-williams

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey peewee thanks for the reply i carp fish alot and am thinking of makeing a new investment lol

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oh yeah, cant go wrong with the Predator rods! i have seen and casted several more expensive "euro rods" like them and i really see no difference in them except for the price. i have owned two since '91 and have used them for channels, flatties, and carp. mine are the 2-1/4lb test curve and i have caught up to 35lb blues in "lakes" with them. think they run $59 from Cabelas.

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Why not use the the same gear for the wild waters?
    As for the euro-tackle, they do know how to fish from the bank.:eek:oooh: And it's great for catfish also.
    As for me, I'm using the Fox Warriors 2.75tc with Okuma EB-50s. I'm real happy with them bu thinking about upgrading to the Warrior XTs.
    As for the Cabelas Predator rods, they're a great rod, but they're a bit lighter than what I like.
    Also, if you go euro, you're going to find yourself wanting to buy a new pod, new alarms, new bivvy/broilie and a tea pot. :lol: Can't do a proper euro-carp session without a spot of tea.
    Pip pip cheerio, Will :boss:

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My Cabela's Predator rod is rated at 1 3/4 lb.test curve.My Match Rod is rated at 2-8 lb.test line.I don;t remember the dates,but I remember that I bought each the first time that I saw them offered in the catalog.They have some age and use but seem to be as sound now as when purchased.I love the 2 foot cork handles and the full length slip rings to hold the reel.You can mount your reel from the butt to two feet up on the rod.I notice that the present rods seem to have fixed reel seats about 2 feet from the butt and I can not find any "Match rods".I also love to use fly rods with a ultra-lite to lite spinning and trigger spin reels to fish with.It is a blast with bait or mini-lures.peewee-williams

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    tea! dangit, i knew i was missing something:tounge_out:

8. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a website to visit you may know about, wackerbaits.com it has many euro setups and bait. You can find some reasonably priced bite alarms, I use the Flajzar Ultra Blue, cheap ($30), and loud. Also, I personally am a bank stick fisherman over the rod pods, except I can't set up on hard surfaces. I plan to look into the Cabella Predators, but as far as bait runners go, Okuma is a good brand, I have the Avenger rated for 6-10lbs, on a 11' silstar rod.