Eufaula gates open

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Phil Washburn, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    they are running 19k cfps thru 11 gates at eufaula...thinking about hitting the dam in the morn..anyone been lately?

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thanks for the info

3. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Friday but the gates were closed, plus there were no Shad available at all. I saw several nice fish cought. I plan a trip real soon when are you going? I expect they will open the gates much wider soon. I got the house done so I can go any day now. :wink:

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Bill, as of 9am this morn they are running 11 gates at 1.5 feet...that is up to 25k cfs. not a lot, maybe, but it should be enough to get the fish feeding. i didn't get to go the other day. i am hoping to go in the next day or two if the weather allows. we are supposed to have some ugly storms roll thru today.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, what kinda setup do you use below the dam Phil, and how do you have it rigged?

I tried below Keystone last night, anything under 4 oz just floated on down river with the current, and over 4 oz got hung up.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

Tony, i too tried the heavy weight thing with big shad on a big hook...never caught anything but rocks:embarassed:

i watched an old-timer catching them, rigged like his tackle, and caught fish.
    i went several times last year. when the water is running, this is what put catfish in my freezer: a 4/0 hook on a 12" leader tied to a swivel. just above the swivel a split shot. the split shot is simply to help cast - you DO NOT want a big weight. the other secrets to catching when the water is running is to place your bait at the end of the concrete wall...not before it, and not past it. past it and your bait heads downriver for the next town. before it and your bait winds up to your left in 2 feet of water snagged, you guessed it, on the rocks. placing the bait is critical....there is a little slack water spot at the end of the wall and the blues were simply stacked up there. an eater every cast, and at worst, every other cast.

the last time i went the water was shut off. shad were scarce, but there were still a lot of people catching blues. the difference is they were casting to the middle of the river. to get that far you have to use some weight. the reel i took just did not hold enough line for that game, altho i did catch a decent mess of cats. the guys that were throwing to the middle were using long rods (9 feet or more), and they steadily reeled in after the bait hit the water. if you let it sink you're gonna get snagged.

take your cast net. even when shad are scarce you will still net enough for bait there.

good luck!:big_smile:

7. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    edit: nevermind

8. okiemike

okiemike New Member

State:
    Haskell, Oklahoma
    Well, I went back to Eufaula Dam Monday and they had all gates open. Rather than battle the current up by the dam I went downstream a little bit (maybe 1/8 mile) and fished at the edge of the running current/eddy current. Cast out from bank and BANG! Caught a bunch of fish between 1/2lb to 5lb. Guys in a small boat about 20 yards beyond where I could cast tore UP cats between 5-15lber's. When I only have time to fish with one pole things are working well. Shad were everywhere. Up by the dam behind the wall I threw 1 time and had 30 shad. Told my boys it was time to go fish. I cast a net out from river bank and caught 6-8 fresh shad. I got bites on shad heads, shad bodys, whole dead shad and live shad. If I didn't need to cast so far I believe the best bite was on whole live shad. When the clouds started breaking up around 2pm the fishing slowed. We will be going back Saturday night/all day Sunday.