Eufaula Dam

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by whitney weese, Feb 17, 2008.

1. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I would like to know when does the striper start to run up to the dam and where is a good place to find them below the dam in a boat.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd sure like to know too. Fished there for the first time last year on a sand bass run and had a blast. Would love to get into a mess of the "Jumbo Sandies"!

3. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Sandbass shoud be runing next month. so about med month. you should be geting in to some sandbass. thats if the rain holds out.

4. Big Guns

Big Guns New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Keep us posted, I would like t make a trip out there myself. Any recent reports?

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I heard that the Canadian River below Eufaula Dam is warming up, and the water is being released causing a flow in the river.

Both items are pieces of the puzzle for the stripers... The rains predicted for this week will increase the flow and the river will continue to warm.

Dynamite conditions for lots of nice stripers.

Fish for them using circle hooks and large live shad suspended under a balloon drifting downstream near cover such as driftwood, rocks, or other structure that provides an ambush point.

Large top-water lures and musky-sized bright spoons also fill the limit on a regular basis.

Please, go out there and thin these critters down a little... they often mistakenly eat my cut shad baits intended for Blues... What a dissapointment...:sad2:

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Please, go out there and thin these critters down a little... they often mistakenly eat my cut shad baits intended for Blues... What a dissapointment...:sad2:

OH DARN!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!

7. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i hear the thay are catching blues on jigs down up there. can anyone confer this or is it just a rumer.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When ya go out let us know how you did

9. CHANCE_LIVEWIRE

CHANCE_LIVEWIRE New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I BROKE IN STRIPER FISHING THE ROCKS BELOW THE DAM BY ALL THE OLD TIMERS THERE, THE BEST TIMES IVE FOUND IS, WHEN ITS SO COLD YOU CANT HARDLY STAND IT OUT THERE, IVE BEEN ON THE ROCKS AND HAD TO DIP MY ROD IN THE WATER TO GET THE ICE OFF THE EYES. BUT BY FAR THE BIGGER FISH SEEM TO MOVE MORE, AND MORE OF THEM, IVE LANDED SEVERAL IN THE 30 PLUS RANGE AND TONS OF THE 20 SOMTHINGS AND TEENAGERS. AND IVE HAD SEVERAL EAT MY 13' FENWICK AND MY AMBASSADEUR 7700 WITH 25 POUND BIG GAME GET EAT UP LIKE I WAS USING A CANE POLE.

DECEMBER THRU LATE MARCH SEEMED LIKE IT PRODUCED BIGGER FISH.

10. okiemike

okiemike New Member

State:
    Haskell, Oklahoma
    I went to Eufaula Dam for the first time on friday. Went across the bridge to the South? side. Caught shad right next to the wall by the dam. Gulls and Pelicans everywhere. Saw a bunch of 5-10lb blues that had been fileted in the water. Also there was a dead 30# spoonbill and a striper in some slack water floating. They are passing some water over all the gates. Guys were catching fish. I wasn't equiped for the rocks and kept breaking off. Know I had a few good hits but I just got broke off on the rocks. Am revamping my technique and will go back Sunday. I think I found my new best place to fish.

11. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    was out there sunday and we was pulling in fish left and right. just thay was small. around 5lb a few up to 10lb. now as for water. thay are leting a lot of water out. bait was hard to come by. we are trying to find bait around here in the next few days. if we can locate some. we are going back and staying for a few days.

12. okiemike

okiemike New Member

State:
    Haskell, Oklahoma
    Whitney,

I went back Monday then Monday night and I'm getting bites but I keep getting caught on the rocks. How are you rigged? I've got a loop with my hook on it about a foot above a swivel on my main 60lb line. I have 3ft, 12lb 'sacrificer' line with my 4oz weight below that. It seemed except for a couple of fish that I was getting soft bites. And then I lost the few that actually took it and was peeling line. I'm new to this fishing below a roaring dam and its frustrating me. I did see about a 15lb blue roll right in front of me Monday noonish right before the rain.

Mike.

13. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey Mike, Whitney anyone seen any skip-jacks being caught yet????:tounge_out:

14. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    all i have is 2 drooper loops. one on bottom to put my weight ( 3 or 4oz.) and then one about 12 inches up and thats where i put a hook or buck tail jig. now as for the rocks. there is nothing you can do about that. thay can help you if you look at it right. keeps you from drifting down the river. now it you dont want to hang up you could use a 3oz river bobber. and fish it about 10 feet deep. that will keep you out of the rocks.but it will be always going down river.

15. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hay big sam. i havent seen any skip jacks sence last spring

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If you want to fish real close to the dam there is a cable stretched across the river about 200 yards below the dam.

In the photo below, taken in May 2007, you can barely see a boat leaving the cable. The cable has red/orange buoys, which you can see clearly.

Attached Files:

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sounds like stripers are moving your way

18. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hay the cable is gone. broke and washed up on shore

19. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I was there in the 80's fishing below the dam and headed for the truck during a storm, and that poor cable must have been hit 20 times by lightening...

me and every one in the truck had static hair like you would not beleive:eek:oooh:

20. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    It's going to be a little harder now fishing in the middle of the river!:smile2: