Etowah River Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cathooker, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Here is a pic of John (holding the fish) and my son with a 17 lb flathead they caught last summer while fishing the lower Etowah.This fish was weighed and released.

Attached Files:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think you need a new scale! that fish looks way more than 17lbs. more like 25-30

3. Kentucky357

Kentucky357 New Member

State:
    Covington, Georgia
    gotta agree with Dink... That fish looks every bit of 30-40 lbs!!

4. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    Do you have to have a boat to fish the lower etowah for flatheads? Are there any good banks for bank fishing over there or what?

5. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I agree, that cat looks like it should double the 17 lb mark. Maybe the way it is being weighed kind of awkwardly doesn't give the scale a correct weight reading. It is a very nice catch nonetheless, congrats!

6. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Thanks folks for the compliments.I was not with them that day and I also thought it looked bigger than 17lbs.....they were using a cheap Walmart scale......never the less they had fun and the flat was realeased to fight another day.......

7. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Fishermancat1, there are several good areas to fish the banks of the lower Etowah. The best place is in and around Heritage park in downtown Rome where the Ostanaula and the Etowah come together to form the Coosa.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    nice job on the the flattie. Must have been fun.

9. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    anybody having any catfishing success in the etowah. And do you think the etowah river is safe to fish at night time?

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Since it has been a while since I was near the Etowah, I will at least give you what I know.

You can fish for flats, but you will find that there is a much smaller population of flatheads verses blue or channel cats. You can fish at night and do pretty well. I have caught several flatties on the Etowah and Oostanalla and Coosa Rivers. Just remember though that flatties like muddier water. Sometimes the Etowah can be pretty clear.

Most of the areas that I fished were after the two rivers merge and form the Coosa. I have had pretty good luck this time of year downstream from the power plant. Then when the water warms up, go above stream from the power plant and you will find several places.

Martinman