Ethics????????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by catfishingRon, Sep 20, 2006.

1. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Ethics: a. A set of principles of right conduct.
    b. A theory or a system of moral values:
    I would love to believe that everyone who hunts or fishes anywhere knew the meaning of ethics, but more importantly lived by it.
    We have all read postings about what is ethical or not and sometimes it gets old reading about it. I have myself wrote things about people I have caught checking my fishing gear (jugs, trot lines, ect..) with the same answer everytime, "I didn't know who's it was". Like that makes it right to take or bother stuff.
    Now to the point, I have always left things out in the woods for long period of time so the animals would get used to it. Sometimes on ptivate land and other times on public hunting land. I have never had anything come up missing. I feel that is do to the fact that most of us are honest people who respect other hunters/fishermens belongings. Last Friday I put out a game cam out in Matthiessen State park to watch for a weekend to see if the deer were going threw a trail I wanted to hunt. I returned on Sunday and it was gone. :)11
    Now I know some will say that its a chance I take, and I agree. Others will say "is it legal to place cams. on public land"? I had permission. Either way, it take a real jerk to take something that does not belong to them. My wife says I should learn from this, but its more then that to me. It is a moultrie cam that she bought for me this year. We are not rich and it takes me a while to get new stuff to hunt with. And no matter how bad I want something I would never steal it.
    I pains me a little that I would feel this way but, I hope whoever stole my cam (and anything else belonging to others) gets a good serving of prostate cancer and dies. And if not that, maybe they could fall out of the tree and get stuck there. Who know's they are probley hunting from a stolen stand.

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I know how you feel, 2 years ago I set a stand up for my friend, who is elderly & therfore did not put the lock on it, for fear it would freeze up on him.

When I returned to his home that evening to ask him how he did, he said that he never went because it was too cold out. I then went to retrieve my stand but you know the rest of the story. I had about $350.00 tied up in it with all the custom goodies. Another friend of mine had his game cam stole @ our hunting lease.

All I can say is that "Common courtesy & morals are NOT common":sad2:

BTW it was the day before Christmas, what a present

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I know how you feel. I've had stands stolen off my farm which is posted and a couple of years ago my wifes uncle went out on the back side of my farm to bow hunt an found a man already in his stand. Lee came over an got me because he didn't know the man so we went back an I climbed up the tree without saying anything to the man other then you're trespassing and took the screw in steps out on the way back down. It was a large pine tree that he couldn't reach around with no limbs from the ground to the stand about 18 feet off the ground, the only way down was to jump. Lee and I went over to another part of my farm to hunt and went back that afternoon an the man was gone. I hope he broke something getting out of that stand and maybe he learned not to get in other peoples stands whether on private or public land from his experience. I have a short fuse when it comes to someone stealing from me and I would hate to catch them in the act because I know one of us would either be in jail or hospitalized.

4. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    Thieves do not bother me. They are low life trash who do not have enough respect for themselves to worry about respecting anybody else!!!

On the other hand there is not enough profit walking through a hundred acres looking for something of value to steal. The only people who are usually in these places are other hunters. This is where my problem starts. I expect better from my hunting brothers and sisters. They should know better!!! IF they want to be hunters and thieves then they are no brother or sister to me!! They are a black eye on all of us who were taught and know better!!

MJO

5. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I feel your pain on many levels. I personally have not had anything stolen during the season however I have lost close to 1,000 bucks on stands that were locked in on private land after the season has closed, but before I could retrieve them. My brother on the ohter hand had a brand new ladder stand stolen within a week after he put it up. Went back to hunt it on opening day and it was gone. Yes it was locked and on Private land. No true sportsmand would have taken your stuff, and the only solice I can take in it is that there day will come.

6. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep thats one thing i hate about it around here
    every other city slicker there is becomes an "outdoorsman" for the two weekends gun hunting is in.
    its them that scare me
    i dont know if id be able to man up enough to walk up to a man with a loaded weapon and tell him to get the hell off my land

7. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well...I went out hunting yesterday evening after work and became one upset guy after noticing my camera had been stolen! The only bad thing about this is, I am hunting private property and there is not supposed to be anyone else on there except for me and my Dad! I dispise people like that, not only were they trespasing but the also commited another crime...STEALING. I hope I catch them on there! They will be prosacuted! We have never had problems like this before and I sre hope they don't continue.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had four tree stands stolen of a piece of private property I hunted for years. Kids started riding ATV's up there and the next thing I knew all my stands were gone. They started hunting from the ATV's and before long there wasn't a deer to be found there during the day.

9. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hell, I got all of you beat, I came home from work one morning to find out someone had stolen my Wife!!!!!!!!:sad2:

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Just hope he keeps her jtr :wink:

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    well let me tell you they are bout as bad as bad comes , cant remember where it was at but believe there was a thread on the boc about a man who was caught trespassing and hunting out of another mans stand and when confronted shot everyone up killed two or three men and wounded others .

so be careful out there guys and gals you never know what a man is capible of when he feels threatend .

as for me i live on 62 acres and have exclusive rights to hunting but i still wont leave nothing in the woods that i cant afford to lose theres just to many theives out there .

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That happened to me once, but I figure if you have to chain your dog up to keep it; it ain't your dog! (Six years later she called saying her crackhead boyfriend was kickin' her a$$ and wanted to come back. I don't think so honey!)

13. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    jtr I had the same thing happen to me cant really say I miss her..

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Iagree with you for there are nuts out therethat will hurt you My son had his cam. stole on his place a couple weeks ago

15. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My camera got stolen within sight of my house. Whole place is posted all the way around. Durn crooks!

16. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey Kenneth, Just curious. Do you import Tobacco for big MO??

17. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have friends that work for Philip Morris but I don't work for them. I am a hunting outfitter with my place in Paraguay South America. Got into importing cheap cigarettes a few years ago

18. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    10-4 Kenneth Good luck in Goochland!!!!!!!! Push some of those deer my way!!! I'm on Rock Castle, around Licking Hole Bolling Hall and Dungeness areas. :big_smile:

19. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey JTR...that definately makes your grocery bill lower:tounge_out:

20. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hunt with one a bunch of your nieghbors. Bruce Gottwald was a college classmate. I hunt on his Dad's place on Rock Castle. Cecil Carter used to run that place but with all the horses he couldn't do that one and Floyd Gottwald's place both. Cecil and his buddy Darrel, and Bruces current farm manager RW do a nice dog hunt at Bruces the Sat after Thanksgiving and the last day of the season. Two of my favorite hunts each year. Good luck to you also.