ETHICS

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SGTREDNECK, Aug 11, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ethics is defined by Ethics (also known as moral philosophy) is a branch of philosophy which seeks to address questions about morality, such as what the fundamental semantic, ontological, and epistemic nature of ethics or morality is (meta-ethics), how moral values should be determined (normative ethics), how a moral outcome can be achieved in specific situations (applied ethics), how moral capacity or moral agency develops and what its nature is (moral psychology), and what moral values people actually abide by (descriptive ethics).

Ok everybody's opinion is welcome here. This is just mine.

So how do we figure out if something is ethical in fishing terms? Are certain methods of legal fish unethical? Is someone keeping a 50 pound flathead to feed themselves or their family unethical? I am confused by alot of people here, that will say another person is unethical or wrong for fishing legally. If its by the law, then dont they have the right to do it? Yes I would like to see thropy fish for our children, and i will do my part in protecting them. But it gets to me when i hear others talk bad about others because they think they are unethical for keeping a fish or fishing in a way that doesn't please others. I jug fish,I run trot lines,I run limb lines and I rod and reel fish, if that angers some of you I dont really care its my legal right to do it. More to come I have a meeting to attend. Be back in an hour or so. I want to hear yalls comments.

2. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    There was a thread about this in the Missouri side not too long ago. This could get interesting to say the least. I'm not going to put either group down for doing something that is legal in the state they fish in. It is the individual fisherman's choice to harvest or not. Not my right to judge for staying legal.

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When we sit in judgement, we open the door to be judged. As long as a person uses legal means then it's his call regardless of what others may think. We may opt to do differently, but that would be our call, wouldn't it? Stay safe and enjoy the sport of fishing!!!:wink:

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Opinions on what is ethically or morally the right thing to do in any given situation can vary wildly from person to person. What the right thing to do legally, however, doesn't vary and is the same for us all. I will say this, just because something is legal doesn't make it ethically or morally right. It would be perfectly legal for me to sleep with my friends girlfriend, but that definitely wouldn't be ethically or morally the right thing to do.

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good point bumper.So it wouldn't be morally right for me to taste my buddies fish in other words!:smile2:

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Andrew very good thread u started
    I think as long as u r fishing legaly for your area it is your chioce how u fish an whether u keep all ,some or non of the fish u catch ,as long as they r not wasted . I release all fish i catch unless i am going to take them home to eat ,an not many then .I don,t like seeing post on here bashing other members for using ,what to some they don,t like methods of fish'n . I would like to see every one on the B.O.C. respect other members ways of fish'n as long as it is legal means of fishing for there area . Thats what make this such a good site different styles of fish'n an different thoughts on fish,n .:cool2::wink:

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So how many of us use bass are bait? I think this is ethical, and is legal where I fish. So I do it without even thinking of the people who think it is wrong. So is this practice unethical because someone who like to bass fish says so? So if Ted(random name) catches a 30 pound flat on a trot line, and Bill thinks that trot lines should be illegal and are unethical. Is that unethical? I am just confused about peoples way of thinking. I use a bow to hunt deer, I also use a rifle and muzzleloader and shotgun. There are people out there that think hunting with guns and modern equipment is unethical. We all have out own belifes and set of standards. Mine have changed over the years. Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't make it wrong or unethical. Jug fishing and trotlines are not ruining our fisheries like people say. They are just bias in the ideas because they dont do it. Which is fine with me, I will still do it and not hide it or be asshamed of it. I cpr big cats and will try and teach others to do the same. But i will not ridicule them or call them unethical for keeping a fish to eat.

8. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    In the religion YAHWEH speaks to me through the Spirt and teachs me what is ethical (right) and what is not ethical (wrong). YAHWEH has also taught me that what is right and wrong for me may not be right and wrong for another entity. By faith I believe that YAHWEH knows more about right and wrong than I do.

In fishing the 'State Game and/or Fish Department' is a power greater than myself. Through laws, rules, regulation the 'State Dept.' teachs me what is right (ethical) and what is wrong (not ethical). By faith I believe that the 'State Dept.' knows more about right and wrong than I do.

All to often in the 21 Century, forgiveness (religion) and compassion and/or mercy (our legal system) of the court are over looked. Example, sentencing guide lines our judges have to follow whether they want to or not.

Lady justice stands and is supported with a doubled edged sword and holds the scales of Justice. These things I speak of in the above 3 paragraphs are deeply engraved in a doubled edge sword that cuts both ways. Thank you for this Thread.

Save a fish, hook a duck

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  9. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My only comment is that legal doesn't equal ethical.

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So what are somethings about fishing that is unethical. But also legal. I just want to see this from a different point of view.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I think its ridiculous how you can voice your opinion then someone tenderhearted person cries " someone is pickin on me".

I haven no problem saying I don't like or agree with trotlines etc. That's that...my opinion. There are plenty of good reasons for me not liking it or doing it. Now who is gonna be the first one to say I'm picking on trotliners again ?????

People need to realize that just because I don't like your method...doesnt mean I don't like you.

12. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jim just brought up a great point. Even tho he does like you method, he may still like you.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Why do people hate trotlines and jugs and limblines? If they are checked properly and not let fish hang there and stare then is ok to me. Why do you all hate it so much? Maybe I am missing something. I am open for your opinions!

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    First I have to go back to the " trusting DNR "..yea ,,well, I don't. They regulate things when its to late, not always but come on..we know that's the way that works. I also know that DNR is not geared to cater to catfishing. Maybe Stripers, Bass, and fish like that are, but not the cats. BTW...cats are not game fish here and there aren't any regulations on my lake.

So, do I sit back and just keep pulling out cat after cat because it's my legal right to do so ? Cause I tell ya what, if I kept all my legal fish, it would add up to a lot of fish. I stick to rod and reel because I would really be slaying them if I ran lines, LOL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I prefer rod and reel because I am there at the time the fish is caught. My number of rods and hooks are limited in order to control the amount of fish I catch and put at risk. I also don't like the room the unattended alternative methods take up on our lakes. I also think standing in the elements the entire time you are fishing is more respectable than baiting somewhere and leaving.

I put to much time and effort into finding spots. I put in 12 hour shots a lot ..but I'm there, not at work, running more lines, camping and fishing off the shore, sleeping....

I just think the methods , in the wrong hands, are to capable of destroying our fisheries.....and doing so while legal.

I can literally go on and on.......LOL..hey...you asked ; )

-Jim-

15. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Ethics and personal opinion are funny things. There are groups out there that feel that fishing is unethical. It doesn't matter if you CPR or keep them. To them it is unethical and should be stopped. This is there opinion. And thats just it an OPINION. Is it correct? In there minds it is.The same goes for CPR, and alternate forms of fishing. Each of has our OPINION on these subjects. It will differ from other individuals but that is our opinion. It is neither right or wrong it is our opinion. If I choose to keep a "trophy " fish And you don't agree it is your opinion and your choice. Just as it is mine to keep it. Am I unethical? NO. You may feel I am but that is your Opinion.

John

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In oHio peple hate them because of this.

Paylakes, Ohio has tons of paylakes, and The liners and juggers are removing big fish from public rivers and lakes and selling them to Paylakes, which is illegal, but done all the time.

Also you are allowed I do believe 3 trotlines in Ohio with 50 hooks each.

While a rod and reel fisherman is limited to 2 rods.

I think trotlines in Ohio should be limited to 2 hooks.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post!

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My point of view only...I think keeping a trophy catfish is unethical, many smaller are avalibe fish if you need food.

put the big ones back, so someone else can have a thrill.

I have seen people take 40-lb flatheads to our local bait shop for a picture, then toss the fish in a dumpster...Legal, but not ethical.

19. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I just have a personal belief in lettin' the big fish go back. They've made it this far, let 'em fight another day. I don't believe that someone who can post a video on the internet of a trophy cat needs it to feed there family. If they're that hard up, sell the camera and go to Captain D's. Read also what the University of Toronto has to say about it.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081130210013.htm

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  20. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    Thats one thing about this country is the diversty in people. I agree with most what is legal is not always ethical and morale. But if its legal there is nothing can be done about it. Be happy with what you do and not dwell on others. Bashing people about the size they keep or the methods really accomplishes nothing. Get your state laws changed. There is no way you can please everyone. I personally believe in CPR but I do not but my self above some one that wants to keep their fish. Thats their right and I respect that. I just hope the fish is not wasted. That would be my complaint.