Ethics

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by toolmaan, Mar 29, 2009.

1. toolmaan

toolmaan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Been thinking about this for awhile thought I would share my thoughts.

What do you do if you go up to an area to bank fish and you find some fishing equipment there and no one else is around?

What do you do if you see a stringer and discover there is a fish on the end of it and no one else is around?

What do you do if you are fishing and see someone who you don't know just trashing up the place, leaving cans, etc.

What do you if one of your buddies you brought with you is trashing up the area?

I imagine everyone here has been in at least one of these situations, I have been in all of them. What would you do and why?

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i'd leave the persons stuff alone and would scold someone for trashing up the place

3. toolmaan

toolmaan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What do you do if you go up to an area to bank fish and you find some fishing equipment there and no one else is around? Depends on what it is. If I see a single hook laying there I am probably just going to pick it up and either toss it or keep it. But If I see a pole laying there, stringer, tackle box, etc I am going to attempt to find the person who owns it or leave it with the ranger.

What do you do if you see a stringer and discover there is a fish on the end of it and no one else is around? Leave it, obviously someone is planning on being back for it.

What do you do if you are fishing and see someone who you don't know just trashing up the place, leaving cans, etc. Call the ranger, game warden, police etc. Get tag number if needed.

What do you if one of your buddies you brought with you is trashing up the area? Tell him to knock it off. Have him clean it up. If he will not clean it up I will but I doubt we will be buddies anymore. He may be looking for a ride home.

I imagine everyone here has been in at least one of these situations, I have been in all of them. What would you do and why?

4. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Well, thats a good thought well the first few are pretty simple, I d leave other peoples things alone, unless they leave things for days, they might be back soon or might have a reason not to be seen, as far as the buddy goes I d ask them Hey you need help picking up this trash or are you going to get it yourself, I f he replies just leave it , Id say sorry to hear that friend, I thought you were a better person than that, and Id pick it up for them , but I d think twice before hanging out with them around the outdoors,You just got to let them know how it is , if it makes them mad at you then I guess they were nt your friend anyway

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    On the personal property question, I would finish fishing then claim them
    as abandoned property.The idea of giving them to a ranger is absurd.
    They have no idea who it could belong to. The fact that these folks
    weren't back in 3 or 4 hours shows that they don't really care about
    their possessions enough to keep track of them. Leaving it there is
    just another way of trashing the place and letting someone else deal
    with the problem. If they showed up to claim the property it would be
    cheerfully returned. I won't lie to profit myself. That is low minded.

Concerning trash I would advise people to clean up the mess. In the
    case of the stranger, if he was rude or unreceptive in answer to my
    request, I might report him. Certainly I would clean up some of the
    mess if I had time. In the case of a buddy, I wouldn't associate with
    him if he continued to be a slob. Who I hang with means something.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If there is equipment at a fishing area the first thing I'm going to do is look for the owner. They could be lying unconscious on the bank or worse. Then again they could be in the bushes taking care of business. You never know. How would you feel if you took someones things just to find out that they had an emergency and couldn't get back for an hour or a whole day. I can just about imagine something like that happening to me and then when I did get back my buddy with me would say; see, I told you it would be gone! :sad2: Nobody just ups and leaves their gear for the first person to come along...

I don't fish with people who litter. And I tell people about trash. Believe me they would get an ear full and more if necessary. :angry:

7. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I would leave the gear and the fish alone as some one more than likey is near by. Some one trashing the woods or lake/river would upset me to the point of a verbal shouting match at that person, but I would not do that. I would rather get back at the person in a legal way. Get the license plate of the vehicle and call the game warden. Remember that most states have littering and or pollution fines and they can be heavy. This way the person gets a huge fat fine, possibly jail time with all of their belongings being confiscated. The best part is the fine they pay goes back into the funds for the natural resources.

8. Fishlind

Fishlind New Member

State:
    Lexington County, SC
    I was always thought as a child that if it not yours to leave it alone. Even if someone has abandoned the equipment it is still not yours.

9. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would leave the gear and the fish alone,if it was still there 3-4 hours later when I came back I would start looking for the owner. As far as the litter bug,I would probably ask them what the problem is of putting their trash where it belongs,in a mean kinda pick yur crap up now type of voice:smile2: And for my litterbuddy it would be a Hey butt head pick that up !!! :smile2::cool2: Or I would and throw it at him !!:angry:

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Guys when I wade dish down the river I leave a tackle box there, with a camera inside of it and try to hide it when bass fishing. If someone took my stuff I would be mad. Someone isnt just going to leave there stuff and if they do they would like to come back later and get it. Leave stuff alone if its not yours. Just do as you would like to be treated and you wont go wrong.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    # 1 leave it , look for the owner
    # 2 see # 1
    # 3 push them in the water and take their rods and tackle
    # 4 see # 3

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    1. if it looks like good equipment ill assume they forgot it and will be back for it. ive gotten home a rod short before and gone back the next day or two asap for it. if its damaged and looks like its left as trash i will assume so and if its salvageable i might just have some new garbage:roll_eyes:.

2. if i find a stringer with fish on it and thats the only thing there before i leave ill look for an owner if im the only one there the fish go back and the stringer becomes mine.

3. If they leave before me ill make shure they see me picking up their trash. if im feeling onery and they are being really bad and there is a trashcan near by i just might let them know.

4. ill let them know what i think.

13. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    1. Finders Keepers
    2. Let the fish go to fight another day
    3. You look over at him and say "hey boy try to keep your area a little cleaner".
    4. Let them know from the get go that that aint how things work around here. If they dont listen then dont take them back agian.

Now here is another situation I would like to add. What if you are fishing and you witness other fishermen just throwing fish up on the bank to die and have no intentions on keeping the fish to eat?

14. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I was just joking on the finders keepers. I will leave stuff if it aint mine. I have enough money to go buy what I want. Plus we all know that most of the time if it is left behind then it is broke.:smile2:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks

As long as its Gar or Asian Carp , I wouldnt mind. I hate , and I mean hate Gar, those things piss me off how they steal your bait, bite real soft so you dont know if its a small channel or a gar, I hate them. The asians will eventually make shad, spoonbill, and other filter feeders non existent and need to be neutralized. :angry:

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Other folks equipment didn't just show up, it belongs to someone, I'd leave it there, maybe check a day or so later to see if it still there. Same with fish on a stringer, maybe they misplaced it. Trash, I probably wouldn't say anything, maybe I would, depends on the situation. I was fishing with some folks once, I picked up our trash and some line on the bank and put it in the cooler to throw away but they kept throwing it out, there was an awful lot of line all over the place, and in the water. I mentioned we oughta not leave our trash around. I don't think they realized what they were doin.

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    if you come upon a secluded (sp) fishing hole and you find a fishing pole there, leave and come back another day and it is still there are you still gonna leave it there? being its fishing gear and not a car if i see it there for more than 24 hours and dont see anyone come to claim it id say its fair game.

18. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I agree with everything you brothers are saying.

19. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I make it a point to leave other folk's stuff alone. I'd hope that people would leave mine alone as well. Doesn't always work out that way though.

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    good point asian carp are not to be released alive in the water it is ILLEAGLE to do so. gar :roll_eyes: no comment. other fish i might say something and would definatly make note of what they are driving and possably a plate # iv been fishing at the spillway before were someone had done this and the ranger showed up and was pi$$ed i think the person i was fishing with knew who did it and let him know. tha ranger was out for blood it looked like :eek:oooh: and i dont blame him their were a couple nice cats and other game fish.