Ethical Care for Swallowed Hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ahquabi_Master, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I have recently been having a problem in which fish are swallowing entire kahle, treble, and octopus hooks. I do like to practice catch and release but I find myself having to take those fish that swallow the hook home and put some use to them instead of yanking their stomachs out and releasing them. Are there ways of returning a fish safely into the water even after they've swallowed the hook?

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    just cut the line as far down as you can without cutting the fish. Unless you are using stainless steel hooks, the hook will fall out or disolve rather quickly. I think this is as good as it gets, unless the fishing is bleeding alot, in which case I would keep it.

hope this helps, tatersalad

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If I gut hook a fish I'm going to take it home. They won't do very well with a piece of metal sticking inside of them even if the line is cut.

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have always been told that a fish has a acid that will dissolve the hook if you cut the line close to the hook, but I have a hard time sending one back if it's bleeding bad or hooked really badly. I THINK it's better to take it home in that case, if it is really a large fish you should be able to get the hook out.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    You got to watch where that hook is at when they swallow it and to even attempt getting it uot you better have the right set of pliers. It has been my experience that a fish bleeding is going to die..If i'm letting a fish swallow the hook consistently then i'm letting him run too long and/or using too small of hook. I have been told by experts that the hooks will dissolve in a few days if you cut the line carefully....I am glad to see folks caring about the welfare of the fish:smile2:

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I would say you need to use a bigger hook if your having this happen alot! I use 8/0 and do not have a problem with this.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, and I want to know what bait you're using, cause it seems to be making them real hungry. :big_smile:

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always cut the line unless the fish is bleeding.

9. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    if the fish lightly bleeds, like a watery looking blood, then put it in the water and it will stop the bleeding. also, cut as close to the hook as possible and let it go. supposebly, its supposed to dissolve and unharm the fish. so if it bleeds a dark lookin blood, then take her home cuz shes goin to bleed out!

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If you are going to practice catch and release.Only use hooks that will rust and just cut the line as close as possible.Nearly all fish survived this when I was stocking my little pond with the flowing well.Some Bream and Cats actually had the rusting hook slowly work out through their flesh.It would work out and heal over.It was amazing.I cut the eye off of deeply embedded hooks that I can reach with side cutters.peewee-williams

11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    If they look to bad I eat them , if not cut the line and let the hook desolve .
    Brian

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If that happens I will keep the fish, try bigger hooks and even circle hooks.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    As long as they are not stainless hooks or as Peewee stated a hook that will dissolve quickly cut the line and they will do fine. If you are using decent size hooks and you are having this problem either you are allowing to much slack in your line and by the time you know your getting a bite the fish has already swallowed the hook or you are just letting them run to long. If you are using trebbles you will just have to develop a feel for when to set the hook this is something Big Sam gave me a tip on and I will be working on myself.

14. Ahquabi_Master

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've been using the red hogwild dipbait and have been getting sponge, cutting it into squares (with all of the above hooks hidden inside...well trebles are exposed) and mashing it into the dipbait. The cats are loving it.

15. Ahquabi_Master

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I did notice that some of the timing of the hook setting made a difference but figured I was just getting lucky by hooking them cleanly in the lip. It was when i'd see my pole bend, then go slack (it was just a quick bite). I'd pick up my rod and wait for a bite then immediately set the hook. Other times they'd hit the rod and just couldn't get off from the first hit - those were the swallowers.