Ethanol... yuck!

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, May 2, 2009.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I know some of you SC guys have had trouble with ethanol gasoline. You might want to read http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109704 and post your opinions with the EPA. It peeves me that someone can try to shove something down the boating public's throat, in their own self-interest. :angry:

2. SloWater

SloWater New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks Tommy,
    I went to the site and it is easy to send a letter.
    I was able to do it the second time.
    Gordon

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks Tommy 10% is killin my boat I cant stand anymore of that crap. I hope everyone heads thid warning and takes action. My boat motor doesnt like it. There is a gas station on the way to the lake in Kingstree that has 100% gas no ethanol and I try to fill the boat up there if possilble.

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Which station is that in Kingstree, James? I know the Exxon in south Florence at the high school sells the real thing, too. Maybe we should start a list, huh? Thanks.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You can start a list, but by some certain date pretty soon, that I don't know, ALL gas will be REQUIRED to have the ethenal in it.

BB in SC

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Im not sure of the name Tommy. It is on 52 just as you get in Kingstree headed south on the right. I believe it is a Shell station but they have a BIG banner that says 100% ethanol free gas.

7. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think that is Wendals station you are talking about James.....I believe it's a Sunoco.....right before the Liquor store

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You are right Robbie thanks.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I know the one; I'll check that out next trip over there. Thanks, guys.

10. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You got my curosity up talking about the fuel filter. I knew my 15 hp didn't have one in the fuel line from the tank to the motor, but I figured it had one under the cover so I checked. It don't. Should I just get one from the Auto parts store or is there some reason why I should get one at a marine dealer? I have noticed some are clear plastic and some are metal? What's the differance? Thanks!

11. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    In regards to getting a fuel filter for your motor, YES! I highly suggest you get one. You can get a fuel filter from advance auto or any other auto parts store. I bought one for about $4 from advance, it was a regular automobile fuel filter and it works great. I'd suggest a clear filter so that you can see the filter and the debris if any, this helps you to know when to change the filter. All you need to do is cut your fuel line off of the tank about a foot or so up and put on the filter and connect them back up with clamps. This will work fine, as I have a 25HP outboard. Hope this helps, as it will with your motor.:big_smile:

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy that would be a good idea to make a list.I usually buy gas in Florance and Kingtree and had noticed that ethanol had come to virtually all gas stations in Sc.I used the Shell in Kingtree and to this day I dont see any warning signs that it has ethanol.I dont put SC gas in my boat only fill it in NC where you can still get pure gas.If you go to KT ask the Shell station if they have eth.in their gas.On a more pleasant note ,spent 3 days fishing and caught lots of fish the biggest was 27lb flathead.I was fishing Kens secret structure !!LOL steady action all night with a break from 9pm to 12pm then picked up again.Used Shad and White perch.Anybody going to be there Mem Day?Canal Lakes has completely redone their restuarant and bait shop.It is really nice perhaps the nicest on the lake.You can smell the bacon cooking from Kens structure after a hards night hauling big ones in.LOL

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Jim. I'll check with the Shell station next time I'm that way, in a few days. The restaurant at Canal Lakes really looks good since they did the rebuild, but I haven't eaten there yet. I think I know the structure you're speaking of, but I'm gonna try and time my trip just before Ken is scheduled to come down; clean the pot out. :wink:

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well I exercised all his fish for him.:big_smile::crazy:One guy I talked to said they were catching monster crappie by a downed pine tree in the canal and he had some big ones to prove it.The restuarant is really nice and the food is pretty good also.When is everyone coming down.I know Ken usually gets that big cabin at CL,and does a fish fry.Hope all is well with you and Big Boy if girls havent completely warped his mind by now.Look forward to seeing the gang soon.I'll be down the 23rd-26th and staying at CL.I still have a bottle of Jim Beam Black for Roundhill.Surprised I didnt see him this last weekend.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, it's the responsibility of the manufacturers to produce motors that will run on the fuel available. I mean, what if somebody decided to go back to making outboards that required leaded gasoline? As already stated, ethanol is, and will be for some time, something we're just gonna have to deal with. If you're buying a new motor, just don't buy one that won't handle ethanol. The manufacturers will either get the message when they can't sell their products, or they'll go out of business.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  17. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Tommy that was very interesting and I believe the real truth about ethanol. :confused2:

18. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Folks, it's not really that big of a deal. It's a simple jetting solution. Our motors, 2 or 4 stroke, arent jetted to run alchohol. Yes, even a 10 % mix is enough to degrade performance. If you cant find pure gas (which is becoming harder to find) have your outboard rejetted for the ethanol blend that is plentiful in your area. I ran racing 2 strokes on 100 % methanol and Benol premix for years, they like it if they are jetted for it. We are just gonna have to fatten em up a bit fellas, I dont think we are going to get away from ethanol blended gas, so we are gonna have to adapt.

19. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I did signs for a couple of stations in our area.

Old Delmae on cashua is 100% gas, also the station in coward when you first come in from the florence side, you will see my sign, 100% gas.

The marathon on 2nd loop beside the food lion is 100%.

I'll let you know if I see any more, or if anyone else gets me to do signs for 100% gas.

later...
    Ron