Ethanol: Outboard Enemy; Let's Protest

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by blackwaterkatz, May 1, 2009.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The farmers are pushing to increase ethanol levels to 15% and higher. The marine engines can't take this. Please take a couple of minutes to voice your opinion to the EPA at http://capwiz.com/nmma/home/. It only takes a couple of minutes at most.
    I know plenty of people, as do many of you, that have already spent very significant sums of money to perform repairs caused by 10% concentrations. E15 makes me shudder.
    Thanks to all. :smile2:

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Done..Tell me while were on this subject, what is the best additive to use to prevent damage by ethanol???I've been using seafoam but not sure if that helps for ethanol..

3. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Les, I use the newer formula Marine Stabil, designed for ethanol; This one is a purplish color, I think, vs the older red one. I also hear good reports on the Startron brand of additive. I use Sea Foam as a routine thing to help keep every thing clean inside the engine.

4. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks for the tip on the Marine Stabil. I'm going to give that a try.

5. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i got er' done ! i glad here we still can buy strait gas at a few places, thanks for the info on the stabil!

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    This is a good project so lets keep it at the top. I know there are more then 4 boat owners on board here.

7. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    North Dakota you can choose, both straight gas and ethenol are for sale. Across the river in Minnesota, its all Ethenol.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Most of the marine engines built in the past 15 years or so will handle 10% ethanol just fine; as long as it's fresh. The problems arise when the gas is used in older engines, or sits in tanks for awhile, entering phase separation, while attracting any available moisture like a sponge. Also, the older boats have fuel tanks and fuel lines that aren't compatible, with resulting deterioration, and the ethanol as a solvent removes gunk from inside tanks and hoses that normally would not have ended up in the engine's fuel system (carbs or injectors). An in-line fuel/water separator filter will help remove most of this. If you have a fuel injected engine, I would suggest a 10 micron filter (vs the less expensive 20-25 micron), and don't forget to clean and replace the filter(s) under the cowling, too. Well, anyway, we all know how bad it can be, so it would behoove us to let the EPA know how we feel.

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Around here almost all the gas has 10% ethanol..I just spent a ton of money getting my motor up and running and I don't want to add to the repair costs by not keeping on top of this ethanol BS..I told everyone I know about the protest so hopefully this crap will be knocked off..

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Excellent point about the filter! I doubt the EPA is going to lessen air quality standards to help those of us with older, more polluting outboards keep them running longer:wink:

Fuel hose isn't all that expensive. If I were all that concerned about ethanol in the gas I'd add fuel stabilizer, keep my tank full, install the fuel/water separator (good idea not matter what gas you're running) and change my fuel lines over to newer line that will handle the ethanol rather than waiting on fuel formulas to be changed. I mean lets face it, I'm running a 1980 motor, if I hadn't done it already I'd be more than due for new lines at the motor regardless of what's in the fuel.

Not trying to be an a$$, but if you're leaving your tank sit half empty over the winter with no stabilizer in it, not checking/changing fuel lines, or afraid to spend the $15 bucks or so apiece for carb kits and the hour or two it takes to install them every couple of years then it really doesn't matter what kind of fuel you put in it:smile2:

If the marine industry is short-sighted enough that they built the newer genteration of motors to handle exactly 10% ethanol in fuel and no more then the issue is with them, NOT the fuel producers or the EPA.

Coming from a farming state and breathing air and all I'm really not all that concerned about ethanol:wink:

11. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Some how so far here in CA ethanol is not allowed in the gas and we get 100% gas:tounge_out:, state says it messes with the pollution control devices:confused2: and we all know CA is always the 1st to pitch a bitch when it comes to air pollution:angry:. I can bet some day some wise a$$ will change that. I think we need to eat more corn instead of putting in the gas:wink: But I will send them my 2cents:roll_eyes:

12. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Done, I doubt if it will make a lot of difference, they are doing all they can to increase production of this product.

13. Suthrngntlmn

Suthrngntlmn New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    DONE.
    I have a 2000 Yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke that I had water problems with. I would check everytime I put gas for water but after a few days I'd re-check it and had water. I finally put an inline water seperator to solve my problem. I am assuming that the water was coming in due to the ethanol attracting moisture. I always use Yamaha Ring Free which Yamaha recommends and stabil, will check on the marine stabil if we have it around.

14. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I am rebuilding a 90 horse johnson two stroke as a result of ethanol. I will retard the timing two degrees when I get it put back together and add stabil to the fuel. If they go to 15% here in Texas, I don't know what we will do. Catfishjon

15. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I've heard they have no ethanol pumps in Minnesota where all the regular road gas all has ethanol. They use some other name for the gas though, and they have signs up "small engines only" or something like that.

16. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    One thing I don't under stand is why are we even thinking of using it in cars:confused2: after looking at the epa gas usage charts on a 2009 chevy hhr ethanol 85 uses 40% more fuel then strait gas:crazy: just plan dumb to even think about it using it :eek:oooh:http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/findacar.htm

2009 HHR
    E85 16City 19Combined 23Hwy

Gasoline 22City 26Combined 32Hwy

Cost to Drive 25 Miles

e85 $2.38

gas $1.97

Fuel to Drive 25 Miles

e85 1.32 gal

gas 0.96 gal

Miles on a Tank

e85 274 miles

gas 374 miles

Annual Fuel Cost*

e85 $1428

gas $1184

17. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I don't understand all the hubbubb. Sell the 15% stuff and more money goes to the farmers here with less going to the arabs. 3 inches from the ethanol button on the gas pump is the button for the regular gas. Why not just push the button of the gas you want and let the farmers get what they want.

18. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    maybe your state gives you a choice between the two, but not all of them.
    gary

19. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    So then the real problem is that some states don't allow the freedom to chose, not the %age of ethanol. Time to call your local state senators. In Nebraska the ethanol blended gas is 10 cents a gallon cheaper and it has a higher octane whereas Oklahoma (and other states) the ethanol blend is 10 cents per gallon more. It would seem like there'd be allot less clamouring about putting another 5% ethanol in our gas if it costed $4.00 per gallon again and don't think it can't happen in the next 4 years people. OPEC loves it when we prefer the status quo over doing what is logical because it would eat at their profits.It's quite interesting to notice that Oklahoma (and probably other oil producing states) charge more for the ethanol blend. Many oil producing states probably don't grow allot of corn so they don't want $$$ going out of state but we really don't think about how much $$$ goes to OPEC. Perhaps making some noise with outboard motor companies to supply ethanol compatible engine componants would be more productive.

20. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Last I checked the EPA was wanting to make all two stroke outboards illegal. Just what I want to do, let them know I have a two stroke boat motor.