Ethanol in all of Missouri gas

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by duckalot, Jan 14, 2009.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    This may get moved but since all Mo fuel is blended I wanted to start here. How many of you guys run Stabil in your fuel? Now I see they have a Stabil marine formula for ethanol. I try to keep my tank full to keep moister down, but have not added any fuel stabilizer to my tank this winter. I wouldn't be as concerned if i was running it more regular but she has been setting since mid Nov. So marine grade or regular Stabil? the reg. red is cheaper and easier to find. I bought an in-line water filter system this fall but have not installed it yet. So what are you guys doing to prevent possible costly problems? Oh, if it makes a differance I am running a Four-stroke. Thanks,
    Rob'

2. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    After talking to a couple of macanics, MARINE stablizer is all that I'll use until they get rid of the blended gas and here in Missouri they did change the law and it's not a law anymore

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Us Midwest people have been buying blended gas for a long time now. I have been using a product called Sea Foam for about 25 years, and it just can't be beat. I can use it in everything that takes gas, and even use it in motor oil. Take some time and read what is on the can and you might be surprized. I have very little if any carb work to do on anything, it stabilizes, cleans, and removes water. Later Andy

4. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I agree on that one! I just couldn't find any when I was looking so I settled for the other:eek:oooh:

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I use Sea Foam also. Average price for rebuilding the carbs is around $300. Nothing wrong with them except residue build up. Sea Foam has stopped all that.

As a side note, I was spending $60 every year to have my chainsaw worked on. Turned out it was the ethanol that was melting all the hoses & diaphragms that was causing the problem I found a place in Iowa that sold gas without ethanol and stocked up. Added Stabill to it and haven't had any problems. If it isn't the law here in MO anymore, anyone know where around St Louis where regular gas is sold?

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I used Stabil for several years but switched over to Sea Foam. Buy it in the gallon can. A lot cheaper that way.

7. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I believe it is still the law in MO for E10, there's just a clause in the law that allows distributors to stop blending the 10% if the price of the E10 exceeds regular unleaded gas.

I use the seafoam, great stuff.

8. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    I also ran Seafoam in my fuel last summer, but was told that Seafoam make no claim to preserve the fuel, just clean it up, or remove any moister that gets in it. I will hit there web site and see what it says.
    Thanks,
    Rob

9. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

100% Pure Petroleum
    Use in All Engines in All Seasons
    2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels
    Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase
    • Cleans fuel injectors
    • Cleans carburetor jets
    • Cleans carbon
    • Stabilizes fuels
    • Upper cylinder lube
    • Removes moisture in fuel
    • De-icer<LI class=plain>Frees sticky lifters <LI class=plain>Frees sticky rings <LI class=plain>Removes moisture in oil <LI class=plain>Cleans P.C.V. systems <LI class=plain>Cleans catalytic converter odors
    • Oxygen sensor safe
    More info on there site[​IMG]

I guess I stand corrected LOL

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Not sure what the break-over point is, but I do remember hearing recently that they've stopped using ethanol in Missouri gas because of the price difference.

Gas stations aren't (and haven't been for years) required to label the pumps in Missouri to indicate whether there's ethanol in the fuel or not, so you can never know for sure unless you test the fuel (which is easy to do if you really care).

My solution is a lot easier: I just don't let the fuel sit around in the tank for more than a couple weeks at a time... Keep it moving through the system all year long and you're less likely to have any problems... :wink:

11. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    I guess if I had a full winter encloser on my boat and a 225 on the back my fuel proly wouldn't get ether. LOL Thanks Marty

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've used StaBil for storage in the full tank of fuel for the last 15 years. Motor is usually not run from Oct to April. Has always kicked off in the spring with no problem. Same plugs that came in the 85 HP Yamaha. Also been using StaBil in a 60 HP 4 stroke Merc for the last 4 years.

This year was buying StaBil at Walmart and noticed a new version for use with E10 gas. It cost twice as much as the regular kind but treats twice as much fuel. StaBil use to say for storing gas, now says it should be used with every tank of E10 gas. So I'll see how it works in a couple months.

I've never seen any local pumps that don't have the E10 stickers.

13. Snakeeater

Snakeeater New Member

State:
    Missouri
    To deal with the added Ethanol absorbing water no matter how full your tank is; consider adding a fuel/water seperator. You can pick 'em up for under $50 and it gives you a good excuse to change your fuel lines since the added ethanol is drying out your old ones. I use seafoam and ringfree to make sure my Mercury 220 dosn't have to go under the wrench.