Ethanol--hard on your boat motor?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by DWB, Mar 31, 2009.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I read the below lined article from the Post Dispatch on Monday that talks about how bad the ethanol fuel is on small motors such as we use for boats. I may have had my head in the sand but this is the first I have read of this. Has anyone else had any difficulties that you can attribute to this fuel? I know that it is more prevelant here in MO than nearly anywhere else in the country because we as a state mandate that such a high percentage of fuel be ethanol.

The article talks of problems such as advanced detereoration of fuel lines, gaskets and tanks. Also an increase in carborator issues hve been reported. Is there somewhere we can get fuel with less ethanol?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...74F1E7906952BA9A862575890010A097?OpenDocument

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ethanol (alchohol) attacks rubber, neopreme, and nylon products over time making it hard and brittle. This isnt good on carburated engines due to the numerous rubber gaskets and diaphrams. Fuel injected motors arent affected due to the composition of the injector. I shy away from high ethanol gasolines in my carburated equiptment.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Check my thread on this from Monday, in the General Conversation section here. There was a lot of good info added by members.

4. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri

Here is the link to Kutter's thread http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107252

A lot of good info for sure. I'm still not sure that I understand it all. I am getting a fuel injected motor so it sounds as if I am "safer" but still I hear from folks with "newer" motors that seem to think they are having troubles (or at leat added maint. costs) caused by this stuff??

5. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I just had my boat in the shop a week or so ago. And the technician scared me by telling me he had a guy last fall come in with engine issues. It turned out that the ethanol in the fuel deteriorated his fuel lines. Almost turned them into gel I guess. In turn, clogging up the fuel filter and some other things.
    I asked him why it effected it so, and he said you need to keep a fuel stabilizer in there. I told him I had used Sea Foam just ask they suggested. And he told me that the Sea Foam didn't deal with the ethanol problem, and to use a different product. I can not think of what that other products called for the life of me. :roll_eyes: I just tried calling up there and my guy was with a customer. If I find out what they suggested, I'll post it up.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ethanol is ok in vehicles designed for it, since the gas usually doesn't sit in there for a long time, but for outboards, particularly those that may sit for a couple of month or more, it's BAD stuff. Use an ethanol compatible fuel stabilizer, and add a water separating filter. I use my boat regularly, but still had to clean and rebuild the carbs a few months back; I had let the filter go too long between changes, I think, and it was bypassing.
    I'm on the water several days every week, and it's amazing how many boaters I see that don't even try to crank their engines after month of not using them, until they get to the water; then they often end up loading back up and going home, wondering what's wrong..."It ran great last fall when I used it".

7. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    i have a 06 4 stroke they told me regular gas only no 90 octane just the low
    grade and no ethanol products knock on wood have had no problems

later
    slider

8. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sta-bil has an ethanol formula strictly for marine use.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Slider, unless something has changed, ALL GAS SOLD IN MO IS ETHANOL.

Dan, newer motors are no better than older ones at these issues, that is the reason for the industry screaming.

As Blackwater said, it's fine for cars & trucks that are new enough to be designed to handle it. Not sure when most vehicles converted their lines, gaskets etc. etc..

10. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    When I had my 04 115hp 4 stroke yamaha I had to run fuel stabilizer w/ it everytime I filled up. I had to learn the hard way because i was running ethanol gas through it, every O ring and anything that was rubber that had to to w/ the fuel system had to be replaced. Then about a year later #4 cyl. took a dive. Thank god for extented warrenties. I'm really not sure if I will ever keep a motor after the warrenty runs out anymore. I'm now running a 135hp Merc. with no problems so far.

11. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    if u get ur gas form illinois it will have less ethanol in it but in missouri it has at least 10%

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have an 06 yammie 150 4 stroke. The book says I can use up to 10% ethanol but not to use methanol. I dont know the difference just glad this came up so I could check it out. Course I been runnin it for 3 years now. Prolly a little late to worry about it now

13. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri

The more I look into this, Bob, the more I think we are OK with the 10% stuff so long as we use an ethanol compatible. The real problem is gonna be when thet bump it up to 15% or higher. I'm afraid that shit is gonna rot every gasket in our motors.

14. hillbilly25002000

State:
    missouri
  15. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What gets me is the fact that people are pushing this ethanol crap like it's going to save the world. These people have no idea what they're talking about. We ran a race car for years on racing fuel and could run all night on a dirt track with a small block v8 on one fuel cell full. We switched to methanol which is basically the same as ethanol and would have to fill up three times in one night. Had to change carb, pump and hoses as well as fuel pressure settings. Ethanol has a high octane rating which means it doesn't detonate easily but the octane rating has absolutely nothing to do with it's ability to perform or do work. Ethanol also will attract and mix with water, unlike gasoline. This stuff costs more, is harder to produce, is hard on ANY engine, and makes all engines less efficent.

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    But if everyone would use it the Polar Ice Caps would stop melting, Don't ya know.... :wink:

17. hillbilly25002000

State:
    missouri
    with the weather this year and over the winter i dont believe in that global warming crap

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    But, but, Uncle Albert said it was true!!!!:crazy::wink:

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I guess it is then, after all, can't argue with the fella that invented all this fun :wink: