Estimation of Weight!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by ste6168, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ok, until I get a scale (which will be very soon) i would like to be able to get a rough estimation on the weight of the cats I catch. Is there like a list, or could someone give me a quick rundown on the approximate length to weight ratio. I realize it will not be exact, and for some fish maybe not even close, but there has to be some type of positive correlation between length vs weight for flats. Something as easy as 1" = ~.5lbs would work, or a list. 25" = ~14lbs, 30" = ~18lbs, etc.

If anyone could help a brother out that would be great. Thanks.

Ste

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mike, I have a "golden rule" i used for bass fishing. It was just a ruler but had weights along with measurements and was very close. Things have to be considered such as fish being egged up or poor condition. As far as cats go, there may be a ruler for them also, not sure though.

3. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I belive it's the length times the girth squared and devide by 800...sb

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Length (inches) Weight (pounds)

12 .07
    18 2.4
    24 5.9
    26 7.5
    28 9.4
    30 11.7
    32 14.3
    34 17.3
    36 20.6
    38 24.3
    40 28.5
    42 33.1
    44 38.2
    46 43.8
    48 50.0
    50 56.7
    52 63.9
    55 76.0

Taken from the 2006 Nebraska Fishing Guide.
    Hope this helps!!
    BOC Brother Mark..

5. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    I think that is the equation...:big_smile:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't know that that is possible. Work on the scale would be my recomendation

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    the Pa fish commission has a published PA weight-length estimator.

flathead are not highlighted. But using the channel catfish list, the one I caught was darned close to the mark 22"=4# 10 oz (actual) and 4.7#(published).

The guide only goes to 38", which is not nearly enough when you catch something trophy sized...

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Thanks for the estimation info, Mark!

But I may have to add my 2 cents.

A 45 inch flathead will weigh more in May and October than it would in June and July. During the prespawn, they are at their optimal weight. Spawn and postspawn, are at their normal weight. Fall feast flats are heavy too.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Absolutely Tan! These figures are a rough estimate and in no way are they very accurate. Fish can gain or lose pounds of weight throughout the year. An example is the state record Wiper caught in Nebraska. It weighed 20# 1 oz. The length was only 30" long. When in fact it should of been more like 34" long. The fishes' girth was as much as the length! Talk about a sow belly of a fish!!:crazy:

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have to agree with slowboat. It is Lenth x girth x girth / 800. That is how we figure the weights on our Golialth down in Flordia.