Essay I wrote on Courage.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Katmaster Jr., Feb 8, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    What is courage?

Courage is always doing the right thing even when it's hard to, and showing bravery. For example Firefighters, they are very brave and save alot of lives. Then of course the same thing goes for Soldiers, and Policemen, well the list goes on. These people are very brave and we should be thankful to have them protecting us.

Alot of times courage does not come easy. It can come in many different ways. Sometimes its something simple, and maybe not a very big deal. For example just giving a speech or something in front of your peers. Other times it might be something very important like a firefighter running into a burning building and saving some peoples life. Another example could be something like a Policeman rescueing hostages at a bank robbery. Then there are those that have the most courage of all in my opinion, and that is Soldiers. I think they have the most courage of all! They protect our country, and even risk their life. Many of them even have familys, wife and kids. I am sure there familys worry about them alot. And I'm sure the Soldiers miss their family alot when at war.

As I stated before "corurage comes in many different ways" so what I listed (Firefighters, Policemen, Soldiers) are just a few examples of people showing courage.

I think courage is one of the most important things in life. If there was no such thing as courage, what would the world be like? I for one think it would not be a very pleasent place. There wouldnt be much motivation to do the right thing would there? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Zakk.

This is just the rough draft, so what do ya'll think? What do I need to improve on? Thanks.:)

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Zakk, it's a good start. I do believe you showed more courage than others in some of the things you have posted. I personally would not have the courage to post about the loss of a good friend. That right there not only takes courage, but bravery.

Ray

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, that's all it is. Just a start, It's due friday. I got alot more work to do on it.

My friends funeral was today...it was a very nice funeral but of course it ws very sad.

Zakk

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Zakk,
    Good rough draft. Correct some of the spelling and grammar.

You asked, and I replied.

I also agree with what Ray told you.

Take care and back to work on your Friday's assignment. :p ;)

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I have to work on that. Thanks. I'm looking for any advice anyone can give me to improve. I'm honestly not the best at writing yet, but I am starting to like it. I will have to practice and study writing more.

Zakk.:)

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The link I sent you with the spelling quiz on it has numerous sites listed on it, that may be of some help to you. No one's perfect but practice will help you improve. Don't sweat the small stuff. It will come to you.

{{{{{Zakk}}}}}

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Cool, I got 11/15 on that spelling quiz I think. That's not bad is it?:)

8. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Zakk,

I am not knocking what you have written. I am only suggesting this for your consideration.

How important is courage without honor or loyalty?

It's an open book test and it is due tomorrow evening. Neatness and spell check counts!!!

Mike

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ahhh.....now you have got me thinking Mike! lol

10. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Zakk,

GOOD MAN!!! That's the idea... think about ALL the components required to make it "courage".

Mike

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I see.... :0a24: :0a31:

Zakk

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Zakk - something else for you to consider: Do the concepts of responsibility and values have anything to do with courage? Cyclops01 mentioned honor and loyalty - those are values ( my personal definition of values is "principles or beliefs that we use to guide the way we live & behave). So I"m suggesting that you think about how, or if, courage has anything to do with responsibility and values.

13. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    How about findin sites where heroism and courage are told about and get some quotes. Maybe some magazines or books. cite them correctly and thank about usin a summation that puts your intro in to it in a sutle way like you did but at the end ask the question could you be brave or couragous? Leave us thankin about what our answer would be. I am very proud that you put this here for us to read. I am takin the English Composition 112 and it is tuff. I know you can do it.

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    "Courage is always doing the right thing even when it's hard to"

"honor or loyalty"

That sums it up.

Course your will need more words than that in a school report.

You got a good start going.
    Zakk, some how I know you will do good on a report about Courage.
    Do some research but in the end, Go with your own words.

15. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Hey Zakk!!!

It's 7PM. You and your homework are late. Time to whip out my razor and shave some points. :mad:

Mike

16. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Seems great to me. What's your limit in words/pages. I think you could expand with what some have already said or you could incorporate some more personal stuff if that doesn't go against the assignment. I know that sometimes you are limited by what the assignment and length requirements. Anyway I hope we get to read you final draft. Being at the head of my class, many peers brought me their reports during college for critiquing (<<< Obviously not for fixing their spelling errors). Your report is beyond your years. It sounds on par with many sophmor or junior college papers, and it even beats some of the senior papers I read. Keep up the excellent work.

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks ya'll, it is supposed to be only around 5 paragraphs. But I am going to use some of ya'lls ideas to "fix" it up a little better.

Thanks again, Zakk.:)

18. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Courage is always doing the right thing(,) even when it's hard to, and showing bravery. For example(,) Firefighters (delete , they) are very brave and save (many or numerous, if you want to delete “a lot of” for a better sounding statement) lives. (Delete - Then o)Of course the same thing goes (or holds true – if you want it to sound stronger) for Soldiers, and Policemen, (modify “well the list goes on”, it just doesn’t look/sound right >>>) well the list goes on. These people are very brave and we should be thankful to have them protecting us.

(You can delete “A lot of” and replace it with many, numerous for a more professional sounding – but don’t use the same “numerous” or “many” as above to avoid repetition) times courage does not come easy. It can come in many different ways (or forms). Sometimes(,) its something simple (delete the “,” or make it “, and maybe it is” because right now it is not two complete sentences) and maybe not a very big deal. For example(,) just giving a speech or something (I would delete the “or something” or make it a true “thing” as another example) in front of your peers. Other times it might be something very important(,) like a firefighter running into a burning building and saving some peoples life (wrong numbers – make it “some peoples’ lives” or “some person’s life” or “someone’s life” I would personally use “some people’s lives” so that it matches the numbers in the next example). Another example could be something like a Policeman (spelling: rescuing) hostages at a bank robbery. Then there are those that have the most courage of all in my opinion, and that is Soldiers (or you could state it as “the most courage of all in my opinion: Soldiers”). I think they have the most courage of all! (This is repetitious, so take it out – you stated this in the previous line) They protect our country, and even risk their life (lives to match numbers in soldiers). Many of them even have (spelling: families), wife and kids. I am sure (spelling: their families) worry about them (spelling: a lot). (Never start a sentence with the conjunction “and”) I'm sure the Soldiers (remove “a lot” to avoid repetition and replace with “very much” or replace the above “a lot” with “very much” to avoid repetition) miss their (number agreement with soldiers: families) (spelling: a lot or replace as stated before) when at war.

As (remove “I”) stated before "(spelling: courage) comes in many different ways (or forms if you changed it above)" so (I would state it as “so those listed above are just a few examples of people showing courage.”) what I listed (Firefighters, Policemen, Soldiers) are just a few examples of people showing courage.

(Remove the “I think” because this is your paper so this whole paper is what you think” and just begin it with “Courage”) courage is one of the most important things (or values or characters or something other than “things”) in life. If there was no such thing (repeat the above “thing” for added strength) as courage, what would the world be like? I (If you removed the above I’s then this I will make for a stronger more personal opinion) for one think it would not be a very (spelling: pleasant) place. There wouldn(‘)t (or better yet, conjunctions are a thing of the past – modern college English teaches us to remove conjunctions so it would read “would not”) be much motivation to do the right thing would there? Thank you for taking the time to read this. (Remove this last line, ending on the unanswered question makes a stronger ending leaving the reader to think and ponder the question – also never thank the reader for reading this article and professionally you should never thank the audience in a speech neither).

(Also in the first line you state “and bravery” you should add more about bravery since this first line shows the essay to be about courage and bravery. You could also add another body paragraph on bravery using the police, fireman, and soldier examples. Also, I don’t know if soldiers, fireman, and police should be capitalized unless showing emphasis. Good luck, and I hope I helped you.)

19. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Yep, when it comes to writing papers, the thesaurus is your friend.

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Ron! That does help ALOT!:)