Ersel's Fertilizer Tip!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by catsmith1, Apr 12, 2006.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Thanks Ersel for telling me about using shad as fertilizer. I would love to say that everytime I went to the river I came home with no bait left but.....:know-big:

I saw Ersel the other day putting 1-2 shad under each of his plants in his flowerbeds. I tried it and they are really starting to perk up!

Anybody else doing this?

2. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    That is an old Native American trick. Only problem I've had with it was dogs digging it up so they could roll in it.:) I still use it on my roses,but I put coffee grounds over them before I cover them with dirt. Most dogs hate the smell of coffee grounds, and will leave them alone. Coffee grounds and banana peels give roses a real bloom boost too. Just do'nt put fish too close to the roots because they can burn them when they decompose.

BILL

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hmm that is interesting I have never heard of that. Im not a huge gardener, but grow some tomatoes and the such over the summer sometimes at the farm here at school. Does it work for things such as this?

4. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I've nere trying it but nosnag is right, I've heard that before. I believe they used the fish heads and entrails when planting. They threw away nothing! What a concept.

5. JRS

JRS New Member

State:
    Lufkin,Texas
    I knew a man who used to put mud cats under his corn seed when he planted. Had the best crop of corn in the county.

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I would say that would work with tomatoes also.

We have a couple of azaleas and other bushes and they have perked right up in the last two weeks since I first put one at each. I just scooped about a inch of dirt off the top and put a shad and covered it back up. I have not had any critters digging yet.:)

Now that you said that I do remember hearing about that in History class.

7. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Fish can be used to fertilze anything. Bury it deeper around shrubs and trees. I use amonia over it to cover the smell and discourage dogs.

8. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    In the gardening catalogs they sell liquid fish fertilizer for fancy prices. You can cut out the middleman and enjoy catching your own.Works for me.:grin-big:
    I mulch my grass,compost my leaves and food scraps, and get my manure straight from the farm. I use my fish scraps and whole fish (sunfish and mudfish) for my favorite plants. Even setting up a manure tea barrel for pumping up the veggies when they are fruiting. Why throw it away when you have to pay someone else for a lesser product.
    Dirt under the fingernails is a badge of a good gardener.:thumbsup:
    BILL

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Bob, I sure hate that you posted this tread!! Now, my wife will be in my bait freezer Useing/stealing all my skip jack!!:) :) Just kidden! That is a good tip.

10. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Dang people, shad is not fertilizer. :cry:

What do you think carp was brought over here for. :big_smile_2:

Will

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let me put it this way, if PETA did an forensic archaeological dig in my garden, they would have enough evidence to prove a mass grave genocide! :boss:

12. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Since we raise chickens and rabbits, I compost the manure down with grass clippings, native tree mulch, etc. for compost and teas. In the past I used fish and processed fish fertilizers but our fire ant population is too great and they will tunnel all through the garden and destroy the plants.

13. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    A couple of years ago, my husband "planted" some of his fish cleanings in a certain spot in the yard. The next year, he put tomatoes there. They were awesome! Since then, we've used the same spot for tomatoes & they've not had any "fresh fish" for awhile, but they still produce good. We also have 2 large aquariums, & when I clean the canister filters, I pour the water from the filters on to my flower beds or potted plants. You can see a difference within days in the health of the plant.
    Nosnag....coffee grounds are really okay for roses? I only have 3 bushes; 1 tea rose, 1 red old-fashioned climber, & 1 pink 7-sisters rose. Do I just spread them over the top of the ground? Thanks for any input.:rolleyes:

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Try a 10+ lb drum under a tomato plant. It will sure make it grow. That is all we used to us in our garden. That and clean the barn out every fall. Pile it up and let it go through a heat. That was to kill the seeds in it. then scatter it over the garden.

Pete