Ernie Harwell

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by DLB-in-GR, Sep 17, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Baseball is radio, and the voice of Detroit Tigers baseball on the radio is Hall of Fame broadcaster Ernie Harwell. No matter who does the play-by-play, Ernie will always be the man.

There was a special tribute tonight to honor this legend during the game at the Copa. During the 3rd inning Ernie came out onto the diamond for a final farewell and spoke a few words to the team and the fans, and he looks good for a man in his condition. He has cancer of the bile ducts, and there is no treatment for a man his age, he has less than half a year left and is returning home to his family, secure in his faith and comforted that soon he will be with his Lord.

This was a special moment in Detroit Tigers history. As tears fell on my cheeks I stood with thousands of others both at the game and in our homes paying silent tribute to this hero. Would that every man have the faith, kindness, and dignity that Ernie Harwell has shown throughout his life, this world would be a much better place.

The Tigers won tonight for Ernie. They should win every game this season in his honor, win the playoffs, take the World Series, and give the trophy to him.

Tigers fans can still recite Harwell’s call when the Detroit Tigers won the American League pennant in 1968, thanks to a popular record album called The Year of the Tiger. ‘68.

“This big crowd here ready to break loose. Game tied, 1-1, in the 9th. McDaniel checking his sign. The tall right-hander ready to go to work again, and the windup, and the pitch.”

“He swings, a line shot, base hit, right field, the Tigers win it! Here comes Kaline to score and it’s all over! Don Wert singles, the Tigers mob Don, Kaline has scored…The fans are streaming on the field…And the Tigers have won their first pennant since 1945! Let’s listen to the bedlam here at Tiger Stadium!”

Thanks Ernie.

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Rest in Peace Ernie,
    January 25, 1918 — May 4, 2010

3. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I remember Ernie talking about "The Bird" when I was living in the UP. Even Thoiu I was 500 miles away He made me feel like I was at the game. Thankx Ernie and RIP
    smokey