Erie Steelhead

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    After hearing about it from my friends for many years, I finally got the chance to venture over into the Westside to try it out.

My friend and I left Philadelphia for Erie on friday around 3pm. We settled into the hotel and got a some wings for dinner.

Woke up at 5 am the next morning, went to baitshop to get the necessities and waded out on the creek by 6:30. I waited until sunrise and started fishing. I was not using the traditonal flyrod and flies, but instead, learned a technique from a fishing friend who has fished up there for over 20 years. My equipment consist of a 10ft noodle rod, my Daiwa Teirra spooled with 4lb Seagar flourocarbon, and very small split shot and a size 16 Mustad hook. The bait was cured salmon eggs. We drifted the current and holes and set the hook if the bobber went down. Sort of like bluegill fishing:wink:.

The first 20 drifts, I was getting a feel for the technique and at the same time I was getting plenty of bites. I thought I had to let the bobber go totally down until my experienced friend said, "yank really hard if you even see the bobber twitch!". SO THAT'S WHAT I DID! I carefully wathced the bobber slowly drift downstream when all of sudden, the bobber twitched! i remembered what my friend said and i yanked! Instead of hitting air, something pulled back. After about a few minute fight, I got to the snowy bank.

My very first steelhead! Here are some others including my biggest trout ever at around 9lbs.

Attached Files:

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    By 10 am, my other friends from Philly showed up and I explained the technique to them. Like me it took them a while to get it down.

Here are some more from the 2 day trip.

Attached Files:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    We easily got our 3 man limit on day 2. These bad boys went straight to the smokehouse. Smoked steelhead is very delicious.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Catching the steelhead was cool, butg going to Trout Run to see the steelhead migrating from Lake Erie is breath taking.

There were hundreds os salmon in the creek mouth:eek:oooh:.

They were stuck by the dam:angry:.

They were so thick, I reached down and petted one:smile2:.

Attached Files:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Western PA reminded me alot like home in Indiana. Laid back, and not fast paced. It is a totally different world than here out east. The mountains along I-80 was beautiful.

And those people in Erie do love thier Steelers. Everybody wore something that had Steelers on it:smile2:.

Enjoy the story and pics!

6. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    that's awsome BRO !!! great pic and story !! thanx's for share'n :cool2:. by the way what the heck is a noodle rod ???? :confused2::confused2:

7. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Great Pics and story Tan. THey are a blast to catch

8. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Great trip Tan!!! :wink:

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Demetrius a noodle rod is about a 9 - 12 1/2 foot ultra lite pole that has just the right back bone to fish for steel head some ppl use them for salmon too:smile2: now that right there's a GREAT FIGHT!

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Tan, glad to hear you had a good time. those were some nice fish. what creek were you fishing? trout run is a pretty cool place. we fish out from the mouth and have always done well there. sometimes the fish commission brings school kids there and let them help in catching fish for their eggs to help their stocking program. the kids seem to have a blast trying to grab the fish and or net them and inevitably someone falls in the water. i always like watching the fish trying to jump over that little dam and always see a few that make it.

11. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    For a first time you guys did GREAT! Is there anything you can't catch?
    Awesome looking fish & great pics! I think you will enjoy the smoked meat too!

Great post! I really enjoyed it! Your fishin adventures get better all the time!

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    very nice fish, congrats on the catch...

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    They are pretty much long, flimsy, and ultralite spinning rods. We were using very light line (4lb flourocarbon) and a rod that flimsy rods is critical to avoid break offs.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Upper Elk. I just tried to fish away from the crowds. It really cleared out early on Sunday because everybody quit fishing to go home and watch the Steelers.

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report and pics Tan! :cool2: Glad to hear your trip "out West" went well! :big_smile: You done very good for a first timer!

16. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Congrats! I love the powerful runs they make. Nice fish

17. Bigcat tinyboat

Bigcat tinyboat New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats on the first steelhead. I have fished for them since 2000. I am in Erie almost every weekend from September to April. I live about 2 hours south. Glad you figured out single egging. Always a killer even in slow pools. If you ever take a return trip give me a shout I will be happy to show you more in return for a flathead trip in Philly. I am from Philly originally but left before the flatead boom. I now fish for them on the 3 rivers in Pittsburgh.

I know exactly where you wer fishing on elk but I won't name it, great winter spot. I tent to fish in the gorge a mile or so down from where you were. I also fish all other tribs including the east side to the New York line.

I tie and use jigs about 90 percent of the time. Your noodle rod is perfect for this. If you jig for them and have 2-3 fish chasing them down all day and put 10-40 fish on the bank you will return many times a season for the rest of your life! Nothing like hooking fish almost every cast with the right jig. After that I go to flatfish lures which have equally exciting chases and hookups, then I float eggs and flies. If you come earlier next year you can catch many fish in the lake on spinners and spoons. It's a real blast and a fresh one in the lake will give you a 5 minute battle or more if it's big. 5-6 jumps are not uncommon.

Again congratulations. Always good to see a first timer get hooked on the type of fishing I do most of the year. Makes me wish I could start all over again and relive that thrill.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You mean you can cath these things year round except summer right? I'm actually thinking about a wintertime trip in Februrary.

Welcome to the BOC, Joe. Alot cool peeps here that are helpful. Flatheads for steelheads anytime!

19. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Great story Tan the pix were great as well. About 15 year's ago I did some steelheading up on the Salmon with the fly rod. I guess a good day was about 5 fish a day if we were lucky. My best was in the 18 lb neighborhood. I also got a 12 lb.Brown. Man that's some cold fishin.

20. saltydog

saltydog New Member

State:
    PA
    all that steelers gear is from the daily migration north from all the muperes.

if you think catching a steelhead is fun with a noodle rod, try it with a 24" ice fishing pole. i have seen fish come thru the ice WAY longer than the pole used to catch it.