EricM Captures Aquarium Cat

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by rsimms, Apr 9, 2008.

1. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    EricM caught 70-pound-plus blue cat today on Chickamauga Lake. He knew (because I told him) that the Tennessee Aquarium was in need of another monster blue for their Nickajack Tank display. He gave 'em a ring and they sent out the official "catfish transport truck." Provided it makes it through a 30-day quarantine healthy, EricM's big fish will be famous! See the fish and hear EricM tell the story here:
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1111405995/bclid1137849423/bctid1496480711

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Liked the clip.When it makes it to the main tank need to get a short video of it.

3. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice Job Eric!
    I'm sure the monster blue will be well taken care of.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks Richard. That ole Dog is showing up every where. :big_smile:

5. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Way to go EricM. That fish is HUGE!!!!

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks Richard for giving us the news about Eric and one of his big cats.

Congratulations Eric, every time we go to the aquarium now we can see one of your great catches, the bad part is we will have to pay admission to see it.LOL

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    And the other 'BAD' part is that he caught it during the BOC Spring Fish-off.:embarassed: (and he isn't on my team):smile2:

Oh well.........shooting for that 80 pounder now I suppose!:wink:

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing this I enjoyed

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Congrats again Eric!!! just had to go showin off your fish huh? LOL! Oh well, just don't tell any of the others about that other one :wink: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: I just have to ask, "was the Drag Screaming"?! :big_smile:

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    LOL and thats the small one!

11. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    great job ERIC, Love to see people taking care big fish!:big_smile:

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well Brad, I was kinda wondering 'bout that.

Seems I got me a PM the other day from EricM (and this one was caught today) about a biggun and something about him smackin me around with that big fish. He never did say how big it was though!:smile2:

Kind of an inside joke thing! (I think):eek:oooh:

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Well skip if ya want You can just ssend us your money now

14. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Oh yea, the drag was screaming! I went out this morning searching for another BIG blue cat, and sure enough, I found one! I was drifting big pieces of redhorse sucker for bait and had caught a 12 and a couple just under 10 when the bait just STOPPED and refused to move. I knew I had a beauty and fought a very careful fight for about 15 minutes when it finally surfaced. I got it in the net, took a quick weight , put the fish and net back into the water, and called the Tennessee Aquarium to see if they wanted it. After telling them what I had and how it had been handled, they said to leave the fish in the net and they would get the truck and meet me at Skull Island ramp. There was no rush, so I eased back to the ramp and waited. A couple of fishermen helped me weigh it in the net and take a couple of quick pics while I waited. Of course, I had called Rsimms to see if he wanted to do a story about it, and the next thing I knew the TV truck pulled up to do a news story! The folks from the aquarium brought a "stretcher" to move the fish in - really neat and supports the fish's weight beautifully. They explained how a big fish can be hurt internally by hanging it from the head, too much pressure on its organs. Anyway, the fish is on its way to the quarantine facility for a 30-day observation period before they can consider putting it in the aquarium. Interestingly, they couldn't tell whether it was male or female. Apparently it is extremely difficult even for professionals to tell.
    Truly an exciting day and a real honor to have been able to donate a fish that the aquarium was looking for. Hoo-eee!

15. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats Eric! I hope to catch one like that someday!:wink:

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looked like a lot of fun Eric, but it could have been a big mistake. You might have blown your whiteness protection! lol:smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to you Eric. Hope the fish makes it OK. Now a lot of people can see it that have never seen one alive.

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wow man thats awesome.