Eric Mauer's New Personal Best

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Whistler, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Posted for EricM. Thanks for sharing Eric!

84 pound blue catfish – a new IGFA world 130 lb. line class record!

On March 18, 2007, a beautiful afternoon on Chickamauga Lake, TN (a reservoir on the Tennessee River), I was fishing alone and bouncing 1-½” to 2 in. “steaks” of cut skipjack down the drop-offs looking for big blue catfish. I was using 130 pound Ande monofilament line and a 3 oz. sinker in good current. This 84 pound monster blue catfish picked up the bait at 38+/- feet on top of the drop-off just as it started to fall into deeper water. I knew it was a monster right from the beginning and fought it for about 45 minutes on a 7’ Shakespeare Ugly Stik medium action rod and a big Okuma casting reel. Because I had been fishing using a controlled drift with the trolling motor, I was able to stay with the fish during some of the most powerful runs I have ever experienced! One boater decided he would rather watch the fight than fish and stayed near me to watch the whole thing. After finally netting it (the net held!) I grabbed a couple of folks who were out fishing nearby and headed for a dock because this fish could set the new IGFA World Line Class record for 130 lb line and it had to be weighed on land on certified scales (which I carry) and witnessed. It was 55 inches long and had a girth of 34.75 inches. Just for reference in the picture, I am 73 inches long and have a girth of 42 inches! It took two of us to hold the scale to weigh it! After we took a few pictures I carried it back into the water and stood with it until it revived enough to swim away. This is a new personal best for me. What a riot!!!!!

Generally, I use a controlled drift, about 1/2 current speed, to bounce a bait in short slow hops along and down the channel edges wherever there is some sort of change, such as old feeder streams, rocks, old timber or stumps, even sharp points or bends - anything to change the current. Most of my fishing is in 30-55 feet of water, and the more current, the better. I watch my sonar for schools of baitfish and concentrate on those areas. I do not usually see the big cats on the sonar, they get lost in the shadows of the drop-offs, but I know the big fish will be with the structure and baitfish pretty much all year round.

My favorite baits are, in order: cut skipjack, shad (gizzard and threadfin), and cut bluegill (legal here). I use both fresh and frozen, and don't find much difference in effectiveness. If I am targeting ONLY really big fish, I will use huge chunks of bait such as 1/3 of a 12" or 14" skipjack. Normally I like to use the equivalent of a 1-1/2" or 2" steak cut across the skipjack. I will change to another piece of bait after a while when it begins to look bleached out so that I put more oil and blood scent into the water.

The area I fish most is relatively snag-free, so I usually use a 7' Ugly Stik casting rod in a medium action with a good reel (for the really smooth drag). I tend to use Ande Tournament mono with a 4' leader of 25 or 30 lb, with a slip sinker on a 10 or 15 lb dropper. I favor 8/0 circle hooks and 5/0 kahle hooks, but adjust the size to the line and bait I'm using. It takes from 30 minutes to 90 minutes to land big fish with this rig and a preset drag of about 25% to 30% of line strength, especially for lighter line tests.

I hope this information is helpful to you. It is certainly not the only way or even the best way to catch fish, but it is what works well for me on the body of water that I fish.

I’d like to give a special “thank you” to all of you on the BOC for all of the ideas, tips, and reports that you share so freely with others. Thanks everyone!
    Eric

This post has been included in the library, you can see it here.

Attached Files:

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    What an awesome blue, and a great account of how he was caught!!! That fish is one of the reasons i am hoping to retire in Tn. Congrats Eric, and thanks for the CPR. Thanks for sharing the story Whistler!!!:smile2:

3. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    What a fish. Thanks for the tips!

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Man-O-Man!!!!! That's ALL I can Say,Except CONGRATULATIONS.J.D.
    :go::go::big_smile_2::beauty::byebye:

5. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    WHOLLY $*I@!!! THAT THING IS WHAT I DREAM ABOUT. Great catch, and story. AND WAY TO GO WITH THE CPR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused2:

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    that fish looks a little camerashy:lol: nice catch

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice catfish!

8. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Awesome fish!
    I can't imagine.

9. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wow what a great fish and story congrats.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great fish, thanks for sharing the story. Congrats!

11. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    now thats a real nice fish. Thanks for sharing.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    good job and great story! that is one awesome fish!

13. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    WOW what a monster

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing that story and pics of a great fish. That tops the Burger King Whopper. That is the new SUPER WHOPPER. Enjoyed.:smile2:

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    What an awesome fish! We all hope to catch one that size at some point in our fishing career.

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on the PB, thanks for sharing