Eradicating flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Kutter, May 15, 2007.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  2. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    couple more years and we can all head to GA for a redbreast tournament.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thats unbelievable, to think a flathead is less important than a bait fish. The should just move them where they are wanted.

4. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    For 200,000 a year I would be willing to fish them day and night and relocate them.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Now If That Don't Beat All Kutter!!! I Guess Me and Big George Need to Pay them Politions a Visit and Give m A Big Ol Slap upside the head. Cause them Boys Need Some Teaching!!! JMHO J.D.
    :eek:h: :ah: :0a28: :hell_boy:

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    that's unbelieveable! Never ever knew that Flathead would cause such a concern for folks! I don't know what they're doing with these fish but I would hope they are either relocating them or at least giving them to people who can use them for food! Like I said folks I been in the position of needing food for my family so I hope and pray that poor folk are benefiting from it if they aren't taking them and releasing them elsewhere!:crazy:

7. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Aint that the sad truth.:sad2:

8. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I kno that this is a controversial issue, but the flathead has its own native waters where it can thrive. The flathead is a very strong fish that can withstand much harsher conditions than many other fish can. They also grow to a large size and basically dominate any waterway they can get into. I'm not saying that i'm for what they are doing, i'm just saying that it is important to maintain the native species of the waterway, even if they may be a less desirable fish to some people. Many people would like to see the catfish go extinct period. I have seen people catch catfish and throw them on the bank to die, and threaten anyone who tries to go near them, its just the way it is. but no matter what they do, we will still always have a place to pursue our hobby in a lake or river around us.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Obviously, I am biased - I love flatheads, but the way I see it, they are there now, so learn to live with it. You will never get rid of them, no matter how hard you try. Spending a bunch of money on it now is an awful lot like paying someone to close the barn door after the horse has run off.

How about using the money to raise more redbreast and stocking them? (That way the flatheads can fatten up!)

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The state is funding the project at $200,000 a year.
    "It's going to take between 10 and 20 years"

Now thats your tax dollars hard at work. Ten years from now they will be looking to introduce some sort of predator fish to control the sunfish population.

11. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    are they just killin them or are they relocating ?

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can tell you this, i hate big head carp! They are a non-native invasive species in many of the waters that I fish. They threaten the life and livelihood of the species which are native to those areas including flatheads. I wish they all were not there at all. Flatheads are native to the Mississppi, and Missouri river basins, and their tributaries. They are THE top preditor of any fresh water in the US. When introduced into non-native habitats, they will destroy the native fauna, and habitat. Flatheads are a favorable sport and food fish, but should not be allowed (IMO) to proliferate, and destroy native species no matter the commercial value of the threatened species.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I hope they relocate them to the area that I fish.

14. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Aint no way flatheads are going to obliterate any species and neither is any iradication program going to iradicate the flathead. some $#&^%$* politician has just got a friend who loves to fish for flatheads and is now going to be paid tax dollars to fish for them. best not rile up them big flaties they just might become man eaters. it is similar to the big head carp problem. i hate to see the carp coming but nothing short of poisoning every fish in every stream in the country is going to stop them. course we don't need to let no politician know this we have to drink that water too and they are not smart enough to know that. we have some monster flatheads and would be lost without enough bream to use for bait to catch them. if the flaties are so hard on them why does it only take an hour or so to catch enough to do a nights fishing.

15. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    As a local i live right between the Altamaha and the satilla, the Satilla is a small river that cannot sustain trophy flatheads, as a boy my uncle from waycross took me fishing on the satilla river, i loved it my love for fishing began there and on the Altamaha catching channels, the satilla is more like a creek, when i went there as a kid u need not bring crickets or worms i learned how to fish a beetlespin, and thats all u needed, it was fun the altamaha and the satilla are two seperate stories the satilla right now is completly dry in ares with some bends with water the redbreast dont have a chance, to appreciate their efforts u would have to bring your beetlespin and enjoy a day of catchin redbreast you would love it. I think they are right to eliminate the flatheads, its not but about 35 miles north and u can fish one of the premier flathead rivers in the country.

ps. i wouldnt want flatheads in my bream bass pond either.

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i can kind of see both sides to this, but maybe they could up the limit on flatheads in that area or something instead of trying to eradicate them. heck one good flood could undo all the eradicating they did, and i would think perch would be way more quick to produce than flatheads.
    heck i wish they would stock a bunch up here!

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    What is more important here is, what they didn't say. They touched on it but fell short of coming right out and saying it.
    This statement leads me to believe that they (GDNR) were the ones that put them there and now they want the taxpayer to clean up their mess (as usual). Sounds like someone didn't do their homework before they went off half-cocked and put them in there. Sounds to me like the Ga. Tax payers are getting taken to the cleaners once again at the tune of 2 to 4 million dollars.

18. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O

Actually it wasn't the state that stocked them. It was an armchair "biologist" that did the stocking.
    This river in Ga, and I believe that there's another one in Ga that had illegal flathead stocking. Plus there's a few more river drainages in SC and NC that has had illegal stockings as well. I believe it's in SC that, in a few counties, it's legal to electroshock for the flats.

19. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think a lot of us are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Many of us could make a living if there was one to be made at fishing for Flatheads. So to hear of someone "eradicating" our gamefish seems appalling to us. I live in Indiana and like nearly anywhere else, we have an extensive laundry list of invasive species. By definition invasive is any non native species that moves into an area and outcompetes a native species for food or habitat, resulting in extinction or large decline in population of the native species. Invasive species are bad. They choke out native vegetation, outcompete well established populations of native species, and use up resources. Flathead are NOT native to the Satilla River system and are outcompeting and in this case eating the native Redbreast population. It is rather irrelevant what use they have for the Redbreast, whether they like to fish for Flatheads or not, or even if they have a grudge against them because one ate their pet duck (which I have seen happen, it's pretty cool), they should be removed. Look at it like this: How would you feel if some yahoo introduced a species that outcompeted the flathead in your favorite fishing hole? Just some food for thought.

If it bothers you so much that those flatheads are being misused, misrepresented, or mistreated here's a guilt free way of keeping a potential monster. Hook up the boat and go catch some.

20. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Actually, it's Bladen County in eastern NC that allows shocking. The portion of Cape Fear River that flows through Bladen gets raped with shockers taking every cat they can get. Dont' know of other counties though, someone else prolly does.