Equipment

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Charlcfi, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Charlcfi

Charlcfi New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My son and I currently fish for bass and panfish, and would like to start fishing for catfish at some of our local lakes. However, not being familiar with techniques and equipment for catfishing, I was wondering what the best equipment would be to purchase, without breaking the bank, to start up with. I'm looking for any suggestions as to all the equipment I would need. Thanks.

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    First off, welcome to the BOC! You'll find a ton of good info here.

Honestly you can get by with using your bassin' gear for starters, assuming you use quality gear. That should get you going on eating sized cats. Most any baitcaster or spinning reel with medium to medium heavy rods will work.

Once you get the fever and the desire to go after trophy cats, you'll need to move up to stronger gear to haul big ctas out of dense cover.

Ask more questions anytime.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my roommate decided to try cat-fishing last year so she bought (with my advice) a zebco "rhino" spincast (push-button) combo last year at wallyworld for $30. its a really nice outfit to start with if your a novice, and she managed to bring in a 15lb flat with it too. you really dont need anything fancy to start with, just so long as its sturdy enough. catfishing, even for channels is just a little too much for bass equipment.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Van, Catfihing equipment runs the gammet just as bass fishing equipment does. If you have some heavy duty bass equipment, that will suffice for the majority of catfishing. If you are targeting big fish only then you will probably wont to upgrade to a reel that has a greater line capacity, Abu 6000, 6500, 7000 or penn 209, 310, 320 etc. The larger saltwater type spinning reels will work as well.
    Hooks, are a matter of preference. I use 1/0 through 10/0 depending on the size of fish I am targeting on that particular day. I've caught 35 lb fish on 3/0 and 1 lb or so on 8/0. In my opinion a selection of hooks from 3/0 to 6 or 8/0 will take care of the majority of catfihing situations.
    Line in the 20 to 30 lb range will be sufficient most of the time. If you are fishing moderate to heavy current or deep water say over 30 feet, then i would go with braid. Braid has less resistance in current than mono and no stretch so you get a better hook set in the deeper water. I am not saying that mono won't work in deep water or current, I feel that braid works better. In a lake with little or no current mono would be a good choice. Myself I use both depending on what when and where I am fishing. I am not the know all end all, just my opinions.

5. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A good place to start is Catfish Connection....

They have about any and everything you could possibly need or want to catfish.

You can look at all the different products and prices and get a good feel of what you will need.

Of course if you are fishing rivers you will generally need a little bigger stuff, than if you was fishing lakes.

Give us some info on where you will be fishing, and maybe we can help out a little better ...

6. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I second Catfish Connection. They have a huge assortment of catfishing equipment. Their prices are very competive especially when it comes to hooks and sinkers, and best of all they ship real fast. My last order I placed at about 3am on a sunday and I had my order wed. morning.
    Have fun, and a lil reminder, catfishing is very addicting!

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu 6000, Zebco 33, or a Big spinning reel with 20 lb test would work well. I would check the local wal-mart or the tackle store for some reels and rods.

8. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. You don't really need anything special the equiptment you got now will catch most catfish you'll run across. When I was little my dad used bank lines on willow poles, throw lines with a rock on the end, and a few cane poles.(and an occation hoop net) And he caught a lot of fish But if you're looken to justify a purchase... you must have the best:)

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, I guess the first time I ever deliberately went after catfish, I used a throwline from our dock at work in North Chattanooga.

10. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Hey Van, welcome to the BOC...Great to have another fisherman in the ranks. When I started buying catfish equipment I bought Ambassadeur reels (6500's) and they work very well and won't break the bank. For rods, I found some flippin' sticks at bass pro shops. They normally sell for
    $29.95 but sometimes they are on sale for $19.95. These rods have worked great for catfish and are collapsible so they don't take up as much space....Now, I just buy stuff I need as I find it on sale... Hope this helps.

Paul

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    your ba$$ equipment should work just fine unless you've got 40+ lbers in your water... thats when it gets a little dicy... it also depends on which cat you've got in there... bullheads, channels and light blues you'll be fine on.... medium/large blues and flats you'll be wishing you had a bigger rod...

basic rig is a carolina rig... one difference from Ba$$ is that you usually use a circle hook (1/0-10/0 usually) instead of an offset shank worm hook... the hook size depends on the bait size... your not gonna throw a full 8 inch shad on a size 1/0 hook... atleast i hope your not...

ummm weight wise anything from 1/8 ounce to about 2 ounces should work just fine for it... Line again depending on the fish your going after you can use 4-104lb test (usually the higher you use its ussually braided lines) but just make sure it fits with your rods...and reels (you may want higher capacity reels )

Baits start with chicken liver... they will love that if they are there and nail it usually... if you can get some shad try that... also go with worms if there are bullheads and/or channels there... you'll catch them... it may take time but you'll catch them...

Are you out of a boat or on shore?

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I go with Doyle. I mean, I don't GO with Doyle, but I agree with Doyle. Big Difference. As a bass fisherman, you know that you don't have to fish with heavy line to land large fish. The same holds true with catfishing. Standard 14 lb test line should and probably will handle everything your going to catch. Not everyone catches a world record, and most will not even come close in their lifetime. Of course, if you use 14 lb test line, you will loose some big fish...but not that many. You could upgrade to a heavy 80 lb braid line to pull 10 to 20 lb. fish out of timber or rocks, or prevent your line from chaffing... But even then, you'll still loose some fish. The basic rig is a hook, wether it is a standard "j" hook, a kahle hook, or a circle hook. They will all catch fish, it just depends upon the type fisherman you are. You should have an array of sinkers in different weights and different styles. If your using standard bass fishing poles and rigging, I'd hesitate to throw over 2 ounces. Make sure you have some egg or no-roll sinkers you can rig to allow the line to run through the sinker so the fish won't feel the drag of the sinker. Other than that, you need catfish bait... what's that.. well, some of them bass you been catching will work, as well as shad, crawfish, perch, minnows, stink bait, dough bait... and the list goes on... just get the basic equipment, go set on a bank somewhere and ponder nature. Viola... your a catfisherman.

13. Charlcfi

Charlcfi New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Thanks for the info. We will probably be fishing from shore. I do not own a boat (maybe some day!), so the only time we do use a boat is when we rent a john boat at one of our State Parks here in South Carolina.

14. Charlcfi

Charlcfi New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Thanks for the input. One of the recommended riggings that I have read about was to hook up a three way swivel and then attache leaders with hooks, and then even bait each hook differently to see what they are hitting on. Have you ever tried this method?

15. Charlcfi

Charlcfi New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for all the reply so far. They've been very helpful. To answer some the questions that were posed, we will probably be fishing from shore. I do not own a boat (it's on my wish list!), so the only time we use one is when we rent a john boat at one of our State Parks here in South Carolina. The best bass fishing rod and reel that I have right now is a Quantum Classic CS400CX on a 6.5 ft. medium action Shakespeare Ugly Stik, equipped with 12 lb test mono line.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I wouldn't buy a thing yet but some hooks and weights.
    Use a standard carolina rig with a 2/0 swivel.
    That bass equipment will handle some big cats. The only difference in most instances in cat equipment and bass equipment is in the reel and how much line it will hold.
    If you have a worm rod it will be more then just adequate.
    It doesnt take a winch to pull in a 40 pound flathead.
    Alot of catfishermen tend to go overboard with the size of their fishing equipment.

But if you must, probally the most popular setup for catfishing is the ABU 6500 on a 7 foot ugly stick. Rod and reel both together look to spend 100 dollars per setup.

Fishing lakes I feel you already have what it takes. Lakes are generally open water without all the snags associated with river fishing and the need to manhandle the fish.

Currently there is a line record of a 30 pound flathead caught on 2 pound test and that was in a river. The Cape Fear river in NC. That was no accidental catch. He set out to set a line record.

17. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Your bass rig should work just fine if your fishing for eatin'size channels. I fish county and state lakes for cats mostly under 10 lbs. and use either Zebco 33s or Mitchell 308s with 8-10 lb. line. Unless your lakes are filled with brush, your shouldn't have any problems. Get some #1 or 1/0 hooks, some 4 or 6 trebles(work better with livers) and some split shot. Grab a tub of chicken livers, some crawlers and maybe some dip worms and dipbait and you should be good to go.

18. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    now i dont know about the caralinas . but down here we use big stuff for cattin, lets see now . 6- 15 foot yeller fiberglass rods, hand wrapped with braid of course, have to have roller eyes, at least abu /7000 , with100lb test line a tub of shad, 12/ot hooks an a long rope to tie urself to a tree soas they wont drag ya in the river, oh yeah a 357 to keep the snakes fought off. nawwww just kidding just go fishing .all thease guys will keep u hooked up with gear, and great advice . i just like to have funn:D :thumbsup: :big_smile_2: :lol: :0a27: :0a26:

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shame on you Ray, you scared me. I thought I was doing it all wrong. lol. I haven't seen anybody point the newby to the library yet. It has all types of information about baits, riggings, setups... a wealth of information. There should be a caption at the top of the page.