Equipment

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by STALLIONDUCK, Jan 6, 2010.

1. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    okay, i a m literally starting a new tacklebox because my last one got ruined by water and rust. but this year i am focussing on flatheads, so i need the basic stuff, hooks, sinkers, line, swivels, all of that crap, what do you guys prefer?

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Sinkers no-roll and bank sinkers...Hooks Gamma 6-8/0 circles and king kahles all sizes Havent got to use team catfish hooks yet.. but they feel nice...and line 65.lb power pro or Tug-O-War...swivles...I got the last ones i bought at cabelas and got like 100 for like $4 on clearence and they are nice swivels...beads...I used to use fishing beads..But i just went to hobby lobby and bout a HUGE bag of Big craft beads for less that $2 and there was like 600 beads..

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    9/0 King Kahle hooks, some 7/0 Eagle Claw kahles, 7/0-9/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks. 50-60lb leader with a big swivel. In any kind of current if I'm fishing cut bait I like to use a float, gives it a little action and I catch more and bigger flatheads on cut bait than live.

Sinkers are just preference. If in current I like a no roll or a bank and I like a no roll for live bait. Smaller egg sinkers are good for little to no current situations, gives less resistance. Get you some good 30-40lb mono and givem' tha buisness!!:wink:

^That is some really good advice about the beads!!

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like no-roll sinkers 4-8 ozs,Mustad 92671 J hooks in size 6/0 thru 10/0,a few BigRiver hooks in 11/0 and 12/0.Crane swivels in 1/0.also like to have about 6-8 of the BigKat bobbers on hand too,they payed off for me pretty good this last year.

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Ditto on the swivles...I used barrel swivels last year cuz i got the cheap...I didnt catch any big fish so id dont matter if they broke or not..lol..I want to try some kat bobbers some time next year!!

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    what you have in your box along with the size and weight of hook and lead has a lot of variability depending on where you are fishing. however i will list the things i never leave home without.

Backpack two compartment to pack all my stuff in
    plano boxes to store things in
    Gamagatzu offset J hooks 5/0-10/0
    Gamagatzu offset Circle hooks 5/0-10/0
    20+ - 100 lb swivels
    beads (craft store beads are a lot cheaper and just as good as any other)
    No-Roll Sinkers 1 1/2oz - as big as i can get
    Flat Bank 1oz-8oz
    50lb mono (Berkly Big Game or Cajun for leader only)
    20lb mono (for sacrifice rig)
    needle nosed pliers
    Bait Knife
    kat bobbers (i make mine out of a pool noodle, skoal can, and straw)
    bobber stops
    rubber bands
    hand sanitizer
    rags

heavy duty stringer/basket(if you keep fish)

good large net

camera

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    1. Standard 7/O Gammys or king kahles.
    2. 3 to 6 oz no-roll sinkers.
    3. 30 or 40lb mono.
    4. dependable source of bait.

But the most important determining factor for me is bait. Make sure you don't be cheap and buy a crappy aerator.

Can't catch the flatheads if you don't have the proper bait.:time-out:

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I fish for flatheads I prefer J or Kahle hooks with as little weight as the situation permits. I always use a leader with a barrel swivel. Sometimes I use a sinker slide they allow you to change weights without a retie. I use circles almost exclusively for blues.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

The crane swivels don,t cost much more,the only reason I don,t use the regular barrels,is because it seems like the braid likes to get caught up in them.