Equipment Review on Penn Roddy 175

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by WylieCat, Oct 4, 2005.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I snagged a Penn Roddy 175 on E-Bay a couple of weeks ago and I have had a chance to fish a couple of times with it.

The reel lists for $54.99, but they are available everywhere for around $35.00 Do some looking and you can find them for $29.00. They have the Penn name, but it is my understanding that they are actually made by Master Rod Co. who is supposedly a co-owner of Penn.

So far the reel has performed great. I loaded it up with 25 lb. Ande line and took it out. It casts really well and it is really easy setting the drag correctly. I own a couple of Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000's and 6500's, and the new 6500's almost seem to need a "break-in" period before they perform to the maximum. The Roddy 175 threw and retrieved well right out of the box.

The Roddy 175 has a really smooth and well balenced retrieve. The handle seems to be a little further off the main reel than the Abu Garcia reels and this seems to make things work smoother.

I have not took it apart, nor have I had to order replacement parts for it. This is probably an area where Abu Garcia will have an advantage. The Ambassadeur series of reels has a good supply of parts readily available in stores and online. Time will tell on the Roddy 175, but it will have to overcome a lot if it wants to have the staying power of a workhourse like an Ambassadeur 5000 or 6500.

The reel is larger and bulkier than the Ambassadeurs. It has more of the feel of a saltwater reel than a freshwater reel. You will probably not want to flip for Largemouth with it, but you will feel really confident when you set the hook in a 45+ pound Blue or Flathead.

If I was buying a new reel I would not hesitate to buy the Roddy 175. As a matter of fact, I will be buying another one in the next couple of weeks. Time will tell on its long term performace.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    there was several reviews on the old board. they were mixed on this one and most were not to impressive. i had one i got for $26 on ebay. there made in china. there actually to my understanding a heavy fresh to light salt water reel. i like it while i had it. caught some decent channels on it. seemed smooth.

dh said his boy caught a 40ish # flathead on his and it never worked right again. it seemed large and didn't hold the line line a penn or abu of the same size. i didn't like the cast frame either. cast metal breaks easily.

although i never had any trouble with mine i intended using it for flathead. after hearing bad reviews i kept channel fishing with it all last year and early this year.

then my neighbor had a delta diamond tool box like new he said hed sell for $50. i ended up bartering off this reel on a 9' night stick for the box.

there were high hopes when it was released but from the old posts on the other board it fell short of its expectations.