Equipment question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DADJBW, Sep 29, 2007.

1. DADJBW

DADJBW New Member

State:
    texas
    Maybe you can help me with a problem??? I just bought a Berkley Big Game 7ft rod and an Abu reel but i cannot hook ANYTHING that bites on it. I missed around 2 dozen hits last night alone. I use a Medium size hook which has always worked great with my 6ft poles. I just cant figure this out...i DO know how to fish, but this has got me puzzled! Thx for the help!

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Jason:

That is odd. I have used that rod before in the past. What type of bait are you using and are you targeting channel cats specifically? It is possible that last night the cats were less aggressive (for whatever reason) and more or less "fiddled" with the bait. Some nights, maybe due to cold front or whatever, the cats don't "take" the bait. Was last night your first night with the new rod or has this been happening for a while? Also, are you still hooking up on your 6-footers?

3. DADJBW

DADJBW New Member

State:
    texas
    This was the second time I used it. Both times I was night fishing. What i do is I throw out and let it sink to the bottom. Then i tighten the line and wrap a small ammount around my finger so I can feel the strike. It works great with my 6ft but both nights at different lakes, i couldn't land a thing. I dont really look for a specific catfish type, but generally end up with channel cats. I fish only with chicken liver. Im pretty new to fishing in general, but i thought i had it down. I usually end up with about a dozen or so 1-3 pounders. I have never caught any bigger than 3lb but I am hopefull.:confused2:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may have just got into a bunch of small fish. Sometimes those little jokers back up and take a run at the bait and you would swear it had to be a 20 lb fish to hit that hard. Try some different baits. My friend FuzzFace and I have been having some luck lately by threading a large minnow on the hook like a worm... just insert the point in its mouth then bend the minnow as you thread it on your hook. We bring the point of the hook, and the barb, completely out of the minnow at its tail. Make sure you don't have any scales on the point of the hook and chunk it out. We have been catching channels, blues, crappie and hybrids this way. It cost us $6.00 for two dozen large minnows, but we fish for about 5 or 6 hours and take half of them home and freeze them in baggies. We have found they work just as good when thawed out as they did while flipping around in the bucket.

5. DADJBW

DADJBW New Member

State:
    texas
    I will try that! Im sure most of what i get hit from are 1-3lb but the always get all of my bait...i just cant get them with that set-up! Is it better to leave the reel open or closed?

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Sounds like lil ones to me.
    Last night I had 2 hits that I thought were hooked because they hit so hard. I was fishing with a friend and was about 15 feet away. By the time I got there (running) they were both gone. I was using dip bait on 2 poles.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    It does sound like fiddlers messing with ya, how much liver do you use on a bait up? maybe try cutting it down a bit also, I have had better hook ups on liver by using less of it, more hook exposure that way, just another idea. But I would not (loose confidence) in your new outfit over this or ya may find that you just stop using a real good outfit because of it? as far as you ? on leaving the reel open, well if you are using a bait runner then give it a try, can't hurt anything.

8. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Better watch out having your finger in the line, when that big one you have been waiting on makes a run your finger might not be there when it gets done or best case scenario have a pretty nasty cut or burn. As for missing the fish it also sounds like a bunch of little ones to me.

9. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Id say get bigger hooks and dont worry about the little ones. A bigger circle or(my favorite) Kahle hook will hook themselves most of the time. When the little ones are nibbling on mine I let them do it, they are dispersing the blood in the water for you, when that 8 to 10 lber grabs it you will definitly know. Then its just set the hook and reel em in. And as always the bigger the bait the bigger the fish. Just my opinion.

Oh yea finger in line is a definite nono.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have that same rod mine is a 6 foot 6 inch model(spinning). Actually bought it for my nephew haven't had a problem yet with it. I agree with most others could be the little ones pecking at the bait. Use less bait or a slighter bigger hook tighten up the slack some. That happens from time to time some days they are less aggressive than others. I have had small fish hit so hard you will think they where a 15lb plus fish like Ahshucks said.

11. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Jason---I hate to break the news to you---But you have a haunted rig!! Your only chance is to send it to me ,so I can work the bad mojo off of it. This should not take more than 2 or 3 years.

12. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Jason;
    For what it's worth, I'd have to agree with the others that are saying "Small Fish" are hitting your hook/liver. Last Century I used to have that problem with Bluegill hitting the worms on the hook when we were fishing for something else a little bit bigger.
    Give those other's suggestions a try and if it works be sure to let us know. OR if it don't work, AND you find a better way then DEFINITELY post and share that information with the other Brothers and Sisters! :big_smile:
    Take Care, I hope you get a whole "Mess" of fish now! :)
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

13. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    anytime i get hites like that . and my bait is gone . i beleive its turtles. what i have learned is when your line just bumps .and never quite runs or hites hard enough . the turtles usually will put both front feet on the bait. and pick at it with there mouths. thats why you usually hook a turtle in his feet. and the bumps are whenb hes raising his head off the bottom to rip a piece of your bait off the hook. my guess is turtles. they eat any and everything i ever used i think... mike

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I might be the hooks your useing im not sure what kind you use but id try kahles or circles and see how they work for you.but i tend to agree with everyone that its probably little bait stealers.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The idea that it's probably smaller fish has pretty well been covered, but in case that's not the problem, here are a couple of things to check. A graphite or composite rod is 'faster' than a solid glass rod. Bass fishermen using crankbaits will often have a glass rod just for that purpose, while having graphite rods for other types of bass fishing; seems that when using a graphite rod, they are jerking the crankbait right out of the fish's mouth. Seems like a rod with a stiffer tip might do the same thing, even if both rods are made of the same material.

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Maybe you need to change the way you set your hook with the new rod. You may have been alright with your other rod as it was more flexible and absorbed some of the hook set. But with the new rod if it is quite a bit stiffer, you may be jerking the hook right out of their mouth. Try using a quick small jerk to set the hook. If you were catching these fish before and the only thing you have changed is the rod, I would think you need to get acquainted with your new tackle.

17. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Jason
    I agree with most of the others that there is nothing wrong with your setup. It definetly sounds like small fish playing with it. Just be patient and you will catch fish with it.
    One thing I am concerned about is having the line wrapped around your finger. If a big one hits it and makes a sudden run you will be hurting. Set your baitrunner up with the clicker on or I have been using the "pole tap" from waly world. It attaches to the tip of your rod and you can flip a switch to give you a audible beep or a flashing light when something hits your pole. They cost $7.99 each and will not interfere with casting or reeling in your fish when they are attached to your rod. I would recomend the light setting for night time as the audible beep can be hard to hear at times if there is any kind of background noise. Also as a side note don't submerge it under water or it will start acting up and the speaker will go out on it.
    Good luck

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    It could be small fish. If the only difference is the rod, it could be your timing response setting the hook. If the newer rod is a heavier action and less sensitive to a bite...this could cause some hesitation on your part reacting.

19. DADJBW

DADJBW New Member

State:
    texas
    how do i fix that problem?

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would try using a smaller piece of bait and up size your hook one size. Give it a try and see if works.