Equipment Preparation for New Season

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When do you start preparing your Rod, Reels, Tackle and etc for the new year, and what/how do you do it? During the cold months or off season, I start by cleaning all of my reels and rods. I take sinker, and hook inventory and add where needed. You can never have enough. I tie several leaders and color code line poundage. Check out my landing and cast nets for holes. Clean electronics., etc. You tell us.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I take all of my reel completely apart, clean, replace any worn parts and oil. Then they get new line. I check all my rod for worn eyes and wrappings. Replace and re wrap if needed. All this I do in Dec. around Christmas time. All my nets are check after each trip. My tackle bag gets replenished after each trip.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I basically just re-arrange tackle and restock what I need. I replace the line every 2 or so yrs. :wink:

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i usually overstock the tackle bag everytime i can afford to, that way i never get low. this year, i did have a prob with sinkers though. i have enough hooks to last a while. holly thinks ive got enough for a lifetime, but since she dont fish with me often, has no idea how many i go through. i sharpen my hooks right before i tie a new one on, and maybe once or twice while out fishing. slip floats and glowsticks dont get used often, but ill buy em if i see a good deal on them. bobber stops are the same deal. i WAS buying the red beads a few times a year, but i think im going to start ordering in bulk. pretty much the same with swivels. i got through 2-3 fillet knives per year also. i dont want to fork out alot of money for a "good one" so i just buy a cheap berkley one for a few bucks, sharpen it as needed, then grab a new one when that one has reached the end. Me being a bank fisherman, a good tip i learned years ago from an old man for line markers, was childrens playdoh. Cast out, tighten your line, put a small ball of playdoh at the end of the rod tip, set your clicker, and pull out about a foot of line from the reel. i buy this a few times a year. works good for me and the kids. i get a 4 pack for 2 dollars from walmart, red, blue, white, yellow. they get the dark colors, dad keeps the light colors. i use a berkely 50# scale, and also have 2 cap lights. they take the same batteries, and usually last half the year. Camera batteries are a different story. seems like i go through a 4pack of them every week. areator batteries tend to last about 2 weeks.

rod/reel cleaning and repair, i usually do that once or twice a month depenind on how hard i hit it, and the conditions of the trip.

line change happens twice a year. i use powerpro #65. put new line on at the beginning of the year, then reverse it to another reel halfway through the year.

nets. they usually get buttoned up after a trip, or 5 mins before i head out again and remember i forgot to fix them before lol. this year was my first nylon net, i love it. lasted most of the year, only got one small tear in it, and broke a few brail lines.

Lanterns. i replace the mantles almost every trip. they dont ride in the back of a truck too well. a hole in a mantle will kill your fuel consumption. i buy 2 new tanks from walmart for almost every trip too it seems. next year, im going to get one of the conversion kits so i can use a tank from a grill to run 2 lanters from 1 tank.

well thats about it for me i think, hope this helps someone.

thanks for the post mickey, ive been curious myself at how often others do things.

PS I dont stop fishing for the year. usually just slow down for hunting season, then right back out for some bluecat fishing:wink:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Clean and oil all reels and give rods fine tooth going over to be sure everything is as it should be. Buy new line but don't reline until fishing season starts. Check and resupply terminal tackle and make new sinkers, cut and pre-tie leaders. Boat goes in basement garage (heated) this year for good cleaning and new rod holder set-up. Replacing landing nets this year so that shouldn't be a problem. Repack bearings on trailer, repack first aid kit, and sit back and hope the fish will be biting when the weather breaks:smile2::smile2::smile2: Stay safe remember this season ain't over yet!!!:wink:

6. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I won't tie a thing until about a week before I go. I worry about line integrety and strength and should they sit for awhile in the wrong climate you could pay for it at the wrong time. As for hooks and sinkers. I am always adding to what I have. Rods and reels get cleaned within a week of every trip any way so thats not an issue for me. Well thats what I do, how about the rest of you?

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like to clean and oil my reels and wash my rods with soapy water, gets them looking like new.
    In the early spring I'll stock up on hooks and sinkers and respool the reels if needed.

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    WOW you mean like shut down for a spell?????:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: and 1 more:eek:oooh:!!! We never shut down this way 12 months a year:tounge_out: man i couldnt hack the north very well especially the part where ya "store your stuff" for the winter:confused2: Man i would move & move quickly:wink: Come on down Mickey...get while the gettin's good!!!!:cool2: But we do maintenence on everything now & then..maybe that is why we don't have near as much boat motor issues there ain't no storing e'm up or winterizing going down:wink: We even see bass boy's out in the winter:crazy:

9. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    im like big sam! i fish year round! so i dont do anything to my stuff til its needed! and even thats very seldom!

but good post mickey!

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I put a tarp over my big boat,,,, Does that count????

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i take all reels apart and clean oil reline i tie hooks on leaders got to watch big G's vid on snelling hooks going to switch to a snell knot instead of the palomar on the leaders dont know that i will pour any sinkers i kinda went over board on them this year think i can make it on sinkers :wink: and working on my boat project this winter kinda got a lot going on to get ready for next year and on top of that i am working on building a crappy rod :wink::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    For me the fishing season never ends. It don't matter if I am up north or down here in Georgia. With that being said, my rod/reel/tackle/boat/ect. maintenance is a never ending task. When I get bored in the house and I can't do any of my work outside, then I step out to the garage and work on my fishing equipment. Line gets spooled one time per year. Reels get cleaned as needed.

I make my own sinkers so about 3 times a year I dedicate a half day or so to pouring lead. Hooks are bought in bulk so I never have to worry too much about it.

Nets....................................... NORMALLY, I cast from the boat so I don't have much trouble with them, but when they get stuck, they are usually stuck and I have damaged it beyond repair. I keep 1 old raggedy net that I use when casting from the bank.

Boat repair is the most difficult to me to achieve. I fish at every opportunity so my boat sometimes gets neglected. Don't have to winterize so that is eliminated. Mostly I have to take a day or two and just shut off fishing to fix the little things on the boat.

13. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I fish when I can
    Clean as needed
    Replenish at Christmas , Birthday and Fathers Day

14. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    About the only time I don't fish is when the ramps get too icy or the river freezes over. Fortunately, I'm able to fish all year around. Keeping everything up to par is always an ongoing thing throughout the year for me.

15. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Pip that bunch we fish with will break out sand & salt & cat litter to spread on the iced over ramps & those with 4 wheel drives bring long chains.....yeah we ain't right half the time:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink:

16. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    LOL, been there done that. Almost didn't get out last winter one day. Least I'm not the only crazy one to fish in the winter when the ramps get bad. But I try to avoid it if possible, Maybe i'm losing my nerve with age.:smile2:

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sam you guys are just tough. When conditions are that bad you will find me behind the stove.:big_smile:

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    just clean and oil as needed fish all year myself.put a litte gas treatment in tank to keep from freezing and got a tiller stering so that aint a problem.

19. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I clean and oil as needed. If we get a good cold snap that lasts for a week or so, I'll take reels apart and give them a good oiling and cleaning. Our weather is so much different down here though. I like to keep things ready to go, we might have ice one day and it be 70 degrees the next.

I have a bad habit of buying sinkers and hooks almost every time i'm at Wal-Mart. I usually stop by academy once every couple of weeks to browse around. Each time i'm in there, I buy some disc sinkers and hooks.... I really need to take the time to do an inventory of how much I actually have....:eek:oooh:

20. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey Mickey we bring the Big-propane heater too!!!!(when needed):eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink: