Equipment for bank fishing flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Jb1z, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Could you guys tell me what equipment I would need to fish flatheads from the bank ?

2. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    For starters assuming you have a good rod/reel set-up,etc,you will need
    a good rod holder/spike.I use a aluminum holder that I drive into the ground like the ones you see surf fishermen use.If targeting Flats I would assume you will need a bait bucket style aerator for keeping Bream,etc alive which seems to be popular on here for catching big Flats.Depending on the terrain of where you are fishing and how far from your vehicle you will need to go to the fishing spot,you are gonna need a cart of some kind.This will pay off in time saved and more fishing and less work.If night fishing is in your plans you will need a flashlight,lantern,and a headlamp,or atleast 2 of these 3 IMO.The other point about a cart is you can set it up with rod holders and have a place for everything you need...this is gonna depend on the type of places you are gonna get into fishing.I hope this helps you some.

3. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes , you have helped.

4. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    First welcome to the BOC

Equipment
    Decent rod/reel setup
    At least 6/0 hooks (circle or kahel)
    Weights (depending on the current - smallest I use is 2oz)
    Swivels
    Head lamp
    Lantern
    Bait Bucket with areator - I dont use them because I can catch a gill ususally within 5 minutes where i fish
    Large Floats to float a large live bait
    Glow-n-Dark sticks to put on the floats and/or poles
    Rod holder of some type

Chair
    Bug Spray
    Digital Camera
    Scales
    Gloves

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Jeff welcome aboard the BOC. Fishing from the banks have a good catfish rod an reel. make sure to have plenty of strong line an some live baits are also good. Fish on an wish you luck!

6. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks guys.

7. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Any specific brands/models for rod and reel ?

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Jeff and welcome to the BOC. Sounds like pretty sound advice. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

9. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    welcome to he BOC!

you can just about get away with anything on the bank!

ive used tree roots sticking out of the ground as rod holders before lol. but if your going after bigger fish, 2 inch round pvc pipe cut down with a sharp angle to drive into the ground is deff low budget and works great!
    if you have it laying around that is. my dads a plumber so its everywhere!:wink:
    6ft ugly stik spin cast with 12lb line will run you about $29.00 from wally world or bass pro. and if you fish at night with little light you can buy those 1-$2 bells to stick on the end of your rods to detect a hit. its all about your budget and how deep your pockets are!

again welcome to the BOC!

shane

10. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was thinking maybe spending anywhere from $70 to $150 for a rod and reel.
    And I'd be fishing dams and the main lake.

11. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Depending on the size of fish you will go after, you might want to upsize your swivles (50-80lb rating) as well as hooks (big circke hooks!) and line (30-80lb. test), big fish break things so be ready for them if that is what you are going after. Good luck and welcome to the BOC.

12. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I to am mostly a bank fisherman without a for wheel drive vehicle, some of the places I go are pretty desolate and require long walks sometimes through thick trees I use a backpack tackle system that I think is a life saver. other than that a good rod and reel and a good rod holder with live bait.

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    The backpack system is invaluable for sure. I guess when I'm fishing I have to seriously consider how willing I am to work to get to a spot and have what I want with me. It is tough lugging arm loads of gear across long distances and tough terrain. A fishing buddy is ideal but allot of times not an option. I usually will carry the following items.

A Backpack which contains- A flat tackle box of rigs and sinkers, first aid kit, roll of toilet paper, scales, fillet knife and shapener, scissors, 2 spools of line (one for leaders 60 lb. and one for sinker droppers 20 lb.), camera, gloves, roll of black electrical tape, skinners, bug spray. 2-4 spike rod holders, an on-the-go type meal

2-4 Rod and reels
    Folding Chair
    Aerorated 5 Gal Bucket

And/or a small hand sized cooler for some drinks and a bag or 2 of Skipjack

Ideally I like to have everything listed above but sometimes I'll make sacrifices.

14. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

seriously hit the nail rite on the head, almost exactly what i carry, but whats up with the black electrical tape?:eek:oooh:

15. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Could you guys recommend a tackle backpack ?

16. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I started using the black tape for backing on my reel spools instead of backing the braid with mono. It stayed in my bag and I also use it for taping glo sticks on my rod tips for night fishing. It only weighs and ounce or so and seems like a handy all purpose item so I keep it in there.

17. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    i see.. i got away from those glow sticks an i use the stupid walmart bells.. lol they work but when your out there all night and falling asleep in your chair nothing wakes you up faster then those loud annoying things.:tounge_out:

18. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Woah $126 is a lot for tackle box.

I think I found some on Cabela's and Bass Pro.

Bass Pro

Cabela's