Equip question

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by JMANWI, Jul 19, 2009.

1. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm currently looking to pick up a bow mount trolling motor for my boat. It's a 1960 Lowe Roughneck. I've got the main 70 hp motor and a 25 hp backup. I figure you can never be too safe since I fish mainly rivers with a lot of current. I'm just wondering how much thrust you all think I would need? I'm looking for something that can get me to the bank or maybe move be upstream should both other motors fail. Thanks for your help.

2. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Depends on how much you want to spend. I would go with something in the 70 lb thrust range 24v which requires 2 batteries. If you are looking for something for just an emergancy you could get a cheap hand control 12v model. As far as going against the current it's going to take some thrust like a 101 lb 36v but then your talking some bucks for the motor and 3 batteries and alot more weight in the boat. I would stick with a minkota trolling motor if you get one they are pretty durable.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    John gave you good advice Josh.

Only thing I might add is if your just wanting your trolling motor to serve as an emergency backup and to use for getting bait, go with a 12 volt system. Jumping up to a 24 volt system adds alot of weight (extra battery) and will cost you quite a bit more. As he stated you can get alot of bang for your bucks if you go 12 volt. I wouldn't go less than 70 pounds of thrust on the sippi. Now if you do other types of fishing where you'll want your trolling motor to perform for several hours of fishing, go with a 24 volt system. And like he said, hard to beat the Minn Kotas, my favorite also but Motor Guide makes a good one also. And if you do decide to go with a 24 volt system for extended usage' you'll probably want to consider a foot control or wireless control system.

Plan on between 300 and 1200 depending on a very basic 12 volt system up to a top of the line 24 volt sytem.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm pretty fond of my MotorGuide WG75 wireless trolling motor. No pesky cables in the way on the boat. I only use it occassionally when getting bait (rarely) and it is mostly there for emergency egress outta the channel if needed. 75 lbs of thrust, never tried to see if it will pull my 20 foot boat upstream but I know it'll get me out of harms way if needed.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Better use it ocasionally skip!! Want to be sure it will work when needed!! LOL :wink:

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Unlike some of you tycoons out there, all I got is a transom mount, 12 volt, MinnKota B65. I have no idea what thrust it has as I am about the 4th owner. It helps during the occasional use it gets when casting for bait. I do know it would never pull me upstream. In an emergency, it would be used to get me out of the channel. I got it for assisted steering while "Pulling a Willie".:wink:

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    That's actually a great point you make there. I went to use it this Spring and it didn't work!:eek:oooh: All I needed was a $2 watch battery for the foot pedal but it put me out of commission. Have a spare one on the boat now.

8. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    speaking of spare/backup motors I am currently devoid of one on my new rig. This is actually a top priority among the many purchases I still have left to make to fully outfit Ol' Marie.

Rather than the electric trolling motors I have been eyeballing the 5hp Briggs and Stratton outboards. What do you all think? Is this enough motor to get the 2472 out of harms way on the big rivers? Anyone have any experience with them? Are they a reliable motor? It could be a miss perception on my part but they just seem like they would have more nuts and reliability when it comes to getting my fat arse out of a pinch on the river...interested in your thoughts.....

9. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Dan
    Just my opinion but I wouldn't trust my arse to no dam Briggs & Stratton. I have never had one that would start when I needed it to...

10. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Really? I have never known someone who owns one. This is the motor I was looking at

http://www.boatmotors.com/outboard/briggs_stratton/

Thing is my boat has a 20" transom and this motor is designed for a 15" transom...so it would not work I guess??? Could it be adapted to fit? Is there another more reliable option in the same price range?

11. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I appreciate everyone's help. I was thinking something around 70hp would work and I would only be using it if both other motors failed to get me to the bank.

Dan, congratulations on your boat. Like I said, I have a Lowe Roughneck 1960. I'm not sure what your boat's specs are but I'm sure it is much bigger than mine based on weight, length and width. I always have a second outboard when on the Mississippi or Missouri. Things can go wrong very quickly and you need to be prepared. A couple years ago I had a major scare downtown. Me and a buddy were catching a lot of fish around barges anchored in the channel so we anchored on the edge of a group of them(3 wide and probably 4 deep) and started fishing(I use a 50lb homemade lead anchor). We saw a tugboat coming and decided to get out of the way before the wakes came. When I tried to start my main motor it wouldn't go. My buddy then tried to start the backup(9.9hp 1972 Johnson Seahorse short shaft). Couldn't get that to go either. Threw out 2 more anchors around 40 lbs each and braced for the wakes. Unfortunately, the anchors gave way when the wakes came and pushed us right in front of the barges about 75 yards out. To make a long story short, slowly we got within 30 feet of going under(and were about ready to jump) before he realized that he had the fuel line hooked up backwards(it was dark when we hooked it up in the morning). We switched it and it fired right up and we got to the bank. I had never had trouble with the big motor before and haven't since. The 9.9 short shaft pushed my boat upstream pretty well to the bank. I have since replaced it with a 1973 25hp Evinrude. The older motors are pretty light so you can get away with having a little extra horsepower. In my opinion 5hp is way too small for your boat. I'd go with at least a 25hp long shaft(maybe bigger) and you should be fine in an emergency. You can find them on Craigslist and other places for around $500 depending on the condition and year. It'll be the best money you ever spent if you need it. I'm with Oklahoma and not a big believer in Briggs and Stratton engines. Stick with proven manufacterers like Evinrude, Johnson, Mercury...........................among others. This is just my opinion and there is a lot of people that probably don't think a second motor is necessary. Most people I see out only have one. I'm sure a lot of Gateway members can tell you that things happen on the river and they happen very fast. Most of the time, you're on your own getting yourself out of it. You can never be too prepared or safe to protect your investment and yourself.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I run a 40hp w/9.9 kicker on my boat. Didn't get the 9.9 for xtra motor but more for trolling and getting on smaller lakes with restrictions. Also have trolling motor.
    Haven't had to go to back up motor yet but sometimes the peace of mind is nice.
    I run all 3 reguarly so I know they will work when needed.