Epoxy? What kind?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by motard1, Aug 12, 2008.

1. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I am starting my first jon boat build-up. I have a 1436. Just wondering what kind of epoxy would be best to use to attach things. I work in aviation,so we have all the wierd,funky stuff. We can only use it for 6 months before we have to scrap it. I save it for some reason. It doesn't go bad,just FAA regulations. ANyways,we have one specifically for aluminum and magnesium. It's called Armstrong A706. It is used in the fan case,and air ducts. It is tough enough to withstand wind at over 500mph. As well as birds,water,and whatever else there is at 35,000 ft. Would this work or is there some specific type needed for use in water? Only drawback is it needs to be heat cured @ 350 degrees for 2 hours. But,it's hard as a rock.

2. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    check out West System epoxy. hope this helps

3. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    theres also some stuff called 3m i heard thatreally good, haven't tried it yet though

4. SeanT.

SeanT. New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Texas
    I have used some from ACE Hardware that is for marine applications. Fixed several holes on my boat and used it on several of my saltwater reels with no problems at all. Hope this helps.

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Mr T should be along shortly, he's our expert on that stuff..

6. randomguy121

randomguy121 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    it all depends, on what you are trying to bond together. sometimes its best to just use screws and nutts and use some kind of RTV sealant to keep the metals seperated. if you put somthing like magnesiam aginst aliminum it will corrode pretty quick. one epoxy we used when i was in the AF to bond "pretty much anything" was called Hysol EA 9394
    its kindive "light greyish" but your supposed to use a weight scale when you use it... its not the best when it comes to bonding plastics though, because it does not like to flex like plastic and usually ends up cracking.

and you could cure it with a heat gun in about 20 minutes, or wait 7 days...

or just use that AND screws and nutts or rivetts or whatever.... as long as it does not leak.

but another thing, if your john boat flexes allot. it might not be a good idea to use any type of epoxy, because it cracks really easy when flexed.... or twisted back and forth.

7. randomguy121

randomguy121 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    if anything does get broken or anything due to a catfish, i would like to hear about it LOL!

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    What are you trying to repair?

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Well,I ended up using Hysol 2 weeks ago. I used it as "insurance" when installing some rivets. When we rivet stuff at work,we do it wet. Whether it's wet with paint or epoxy,always wet. I can't remember the Part Number,but it's a 2 part epoxy. I part is thick and grey. The other is a light creamy color and smells kinda like peanut butter. At work we air cure for 2 hours then bake at 200 degrees for 2 hrs,but it will also air cure. It air cures at a minimum of 77 degrees for 5 days. Here in TEXAS,thats not a problem right now. It's all done now. But thanks for the input.

10. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I am not sure how it would work on aluminum but 3M 5200 is what I use on my fiberglass boat. "Glue" most anything to the boat with it and it not only seals but it is a very powerful adhesive. You might read the back of a tube and see if it is rated for aluminum. Some WalMarts have it and all boat stores like Boater's World and West Marine have it. I comes in quick cure (24 hours) and normal cure(7 days) I have used the quick cure with excellant results.

11. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I thought about some of 3Ms products. The Hysol I used was more suitable to what I needed. I am using some 3M stuff on the new transom though. They make good stuff. Thanx