Enlighten me

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mi11er, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ok I am about done with fishing the Mo river. I am having a heck of a time catching fish and at a loss. I don't know if I am using the wrong bait or just fishing the wrong places. We normally catch perch, bluegill out of a pond they are all 3"to 5". We use them whole, should I fillet them or cut them to use? As far a spots, we normally try to find deep holes behind the wing dikes and anchor of them and cast in the deep holes.

I know that "spots" to fish are luck sometimes, but more often than not, it is not. I just do not know where to start fishing, then I just go to the first dike and anchor there. Please help this rookie:confused2:, I am about to grab my bass rod and start bass fishing( J/J That is crazy talk)

2. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Jess, I don't know anything about your river, but I can give you a suggestion or two about things that have worked for me this time of the year in the Red River.

Try looking instead of deep water for some water that is moving, the faster the better. Sometimes only 3 to 5 feet of water will hold big fish looking for something to eat.

Then try looking for structure near deep water with moving water running thru it that is in shallower water than the deep you were trying to fish. Lol, that was a mouth full but do you understand what I am saying don't you?

Good luck and hope that this helps.

don3778

3. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Working the front of the dikes and at the points of them are another thing to try. If nothing is working within fifteen minutes or so then move on. Try an approach that is sort of like bass fishing. Always be on the move. Even the best honey holes aren't going to produce fish at any given minute through each hour of the year. Go find them, don't let them happen to find you.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There is a lot to be said for moving, but I typically give it al least 30 minutes................and that is time with lines in the water. Anchoring the boat don't count. could also be the presentation, If you are not doing so already, try adding a small float to your rig to get that bait up and moving.

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Hang in there Jess fishing any river can be frustrating sometimes. Not sure what part of the Missouri your fishing in so if this isn't available to you then just ignore it, but Asian Carp are your friend this time of the year. If they are not available then try fresh Shad. As for how to present them, cut 'em up....Asians I try strips and chunks both, sometimes just cut a big old fillet and use it. As for Shad switch it up cut some fillets off, try the head, try them whole or cut into chunks. You just never know what they are looking for and if your set on using the Bluegill then do the same with it, try it live or whole and cut up. Now as to where to fish if there are wing dykes in your area then your on the right track, do you have a fish finder? Slowly go over the area in front of and behind the dykes and look for drop offs and ledges area with flats near by. Are you fishing at night or during the day? At night try the flats or the drop offs where the flat drops off into the channel. During the day look for the ledges that are deeper and the holes in front of and behind the dykes.

Good Luck and remember that if nothing else it's always nice to just be on the water.:big_smile:

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    when i worked in bluesprings me and a buddy fished the missouri around 3 nights a week from the bank we had several farmers give us keys to there gates to drive on the levees and fields to get to the bank of the missouri around fort osage to wellington ,

we did the best fishing the mouth and up into the feeder creeks caught a bunch of flatheads and channels , hardly ever caught a blue used small carp and blue gills , some times gold fish if we where in a hurry just stoped at bait shop , carp and gills did the best around 3 to 8 inch size.

7. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    I have caught many, many carp over the years and love going for them at times. However, I have never caught an asian carp. Will they hit a rod and reel just the same as carp or are you guys getting them with nets?

8. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    you can catch em in nets or if you get into them thick they just jump in the boat.

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Asian carp are one thing I have no problem to find or catch. Just about any slack water will have them. Around the outlets of treatment plants and creeks seems to hold the most.

10. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks guys:big_smile:

11. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Dont give up !! use a bait thats in their menu most at the time. Although now when i catch bait i keep a small cooler with ice, and put the extra live bait rite in it. When i get home i divide them up into small ziplock containers, label what the are and put in freezer.

Although I had almost a year and a half dryspell i finally caught on to them in the worst talked about river (Meramec) Seem only to be good when flooded for a long time before the come up from the Mississippi.

I generally fish mouths of creeks flowing into it and fallen trees.

I now have been out for the last 2 weeks regularly and have produced nothing, Its tough.

It helps me to read a lot ! Study the fish itself, Habitate, cycles of life, and terrain it likes. Then put all that info in your head.

Not saying your gonna catch fish all the time, but after each outing of being skunked or catching them. Take a mental note of the surroundings, water level and flow, where u fished the bait used. Put the puzzel together on what u did rite or what u did wrong. After a while u will understand why u didnt catch fish there.

12. stlrider

stlrider New Member

State:
    mo
    man i feel your pain. there is a science to this. i just started hitting the library. online has been helpful also. i hit the bait shops and even stalked the boat ramps.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah the science is to get out there. I know guy's that are catching fish 3 or 4 different ways right now. Now why because they spend the time on the water instead of talking about fishing on here........

14. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Josh why don't ya stop being such a jerk. The guy is probably just trying to learn. Instead of telling him about all the guys you know catching fish why don't ya try to help him. I think that's what this site is for. To make friends and to help people that share the same interest of catfishing. Besides if ya don't want to talk about fishing then why are you here?

15. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great Point

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i agree 100% reps to farmer !!!!!!:wink:

17. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Yeah the science is to get out there. I know guy's that are catching fish 3 or 4 different ways right now. Now why because they spend the time on the water instead of talking about fishing on here........

Josh, the man has been spending time on the water and understandably getting a little frustrated so thats why he came here. In your over 2,000 posts I am sure you have asked a question or two. No matter how good one is, you can always improve.

This is not catfishing, but I will share my little story. When I started snagging for spoonbills as a young teenager with my uncle. I would always see everybody else getting them, but not me. No matter how hard I tried, now long I kept snagging or no matter what I did. For nearly five years straight I never got a single one at all. I was at the point of being more than ready to give up as snagging can be hard work if you really work at it going all day long non-stop. One time I brought a freind along with us that never fishes anything at all and it was his very first snagging trip. Thirty minutes into the trip he got a spoonbill that went 75 pounds. On top of that it was caught on my pole that I let him use. My uncle and everybody never let up on the jokes from that day. March 15th the following year my uncle asked me if I was going to go snagging with him on opening weekend. I almost didn't go as my determination was very minamal as it was now the start of my fifth year of trying to catch one. However, I went and everything just clicked into place. My very first spoonbill was a 40 pounder and the rest was history. I finished that year off with a 80 pounder and many that were in the upper 60's. I have caught spoonbills every single year since then and have skunked my uncle, freinds and other relatives on many occasions. Snagging does have a lot of luck to it, but perseverance in any kind of fishing your doing will eventually pay off for you. Asking for advice does help, but it will all surely kick in for you at some point. Hang in there and you will find all the things finally work together to make many great catches out on the river for you:big_smile:

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    reps farmer couldent have said it better:wink::cool2:

19. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I will agree that you have to spend time on the water. But if I had not spent time on this site asked questions and got great answers from the brothers on this site. I would have not caught that hog I caught satruday night. Like I said I would have never fished a spot like that before. From meeting Brandon BKS72, and Robert (fishingbuddy4) on this site and going fishing with them on the Mo river. To all the other people I have meet from this site (Time spent on here when I should have been fishing) has turned out to be priceless informaiton. From Farmer, Primitivefarmer, MrT, Spoonfish and on down the line. So Miller keep on here and keep asking questions and reading post and it will pay off in the long run. Reps your way Farmer.

Tom

20. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I agree....

I cant think of how many good folks Ive met from this site. Many will be life long friends because if it.

I would encourage everyone to go to there states gatherings. Your missing out on one of the best features of the BOC by not attending them. I think you will be enlightened too....

I have learned countless ideas and new ways of fishing by asking questions and reading what other members have shared over the years on here. Spending time on the water is where we get to put it all to use, kind of hard to be on the water 24/7 though. I think I will keep reading, talking about catfishing and sharing with others the rest of the time.....

If it wasnt for members shareing info, helping others and welcoming them my guess is it would be a pretty lonely place around here.

Good luck out there. :0a23: May your next fish be a new PB.....