Enjoying the outdoors of NC

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by C_wernett, Apr 30, 2007.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I realize that on here, we are all catfisherman, and that is our common thread, but without the nature that surround us on every trip we often times would have some uneventful trips! So I'm dedicating this thread simply to the other creatures that are around us everyday, and that we sometimes are too busy to take notice of, but are there to make your "slow" days if you just take time to keep your eyes open for them. I wish I could have gotten all pictures of all the animals I saw on this trip, but alas, some were just fleeting glances that are burned into my memory, instead of on my computer.

We started our trip off spotting the bobcat, that at first ran off ahead, but on backtracking we caught him/her coming back through a crossroads and got a couple really good shots. I spotted the pitcher plants growing in there normal location, but this time I knew what I was looking at and was able to get some field photos(notice the pitchers haven't started growing back yet). Was travelling another road when we came across this beautiful(and feisty) cornsnake that posed for a couple cool pictures! Later we saw a pair of black beears on the way home, just after dark, but they scooted before we could get set with the camera!

Anyway, enjoy the pictures and remember that being an angler is about more than just catching fish(though that sure does help), its about being a part of our natural enviroment, and giving back as much as we take.

Attached Files:

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Nice thread!

Ever wonder how many corn snakes are killed each year because people think they are copperheads? :confused2: If people realized how much you can get for one at a pet store they would never kill them!!

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was actually at the gym talking reptiles with some guys yesterday, and one admitted that he ran over a "copperhead" only to go back and see that there were eggs everywhere....yes, it was a cornsnake. Just a shame that people don't take the time to know what to know.

4. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    conrad` i`m from pamlico co. n.c. but been living in selma n.c.for the past 17+years. around the coast you see cotton mouth`s occasionly,
    but around selma, raleigh,etc.poisonous snakes are almost non existant.
    sunday night a friend and i were on the neuse at smithfield,saw this
    common brown water snake swimming along the river. my friend said
    WATER MOCCOSIN!, KILL IT. i said it`s just a water snake let it be, it
    can`t get in the boat anyway.you can tell people this a thousand times
    but it never seem`s to sink in. hopefully more people will just live and
    let live... so the creatures of this earth can go on amazing us with thier
    beauty and grace.
    chris aldridge selma,n.c.

5. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    people who kill for the sake of killing are MURDERERS!

6. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    is a dead snake by God.........

Figured I would get that out the way early..... :big_smile:

7. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey don`t get me wrong, i don`t hold them and don`t want one for a pet. but i`m not going kill it just because i see it.:cool2:

8. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks for the pics. The kids and I came across a watersnake this past weekend. We watched him til he decided to move on. I don't particularly like snakes myself. I did kill a copperhead in my garage last summer, but I don't kill them when they're going about their business in the wild.

9. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    here is a bird i seen a couple of weekends ago fishing santee... don't really know what kind it is, but it was picture worthy... sorry, its a bit blurry, but not too bad.

Attached Files:

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Beautiful shot of an osprey! I've seen some nice nests up in the waterways here, but have never got my camera when I see them, or we're travelling at full speed in someone elses boat. Very impressive birds. I was actually fishing a bass tournament a couple weeks ago and had to laugh after the weigh-ins because there was an osprey circling right there were everyone was releasing their fish, to get the easy pickings!