English River

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by sadam, Feb 28, 2008.

1. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just wondering if anyone else ever fishes the English River. The English runs through our family farm and each year I fish it more and more. It's not a huge river but sure is fun to get on the hip waders and walk and fish it. I was just curious if anyone has much luck catching flats in it, because I have been wanting to night fish with live bait to see if I could catch any. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't know where exactly you are at. My stomping grounds were from Kalona down to and through Riverside to the big river. North of Richmond, was where I usually fished. I have seen 10 -15 lb flats come out of there. That was a long time ago. I crossed the river frequently while my mother was alive at Riverside. Each year the river seemed smaller and smaller. The only time it had any size was obviously after rains. The number of ponds and impoundments has shrunk it's size and flow rate I would think the closer you got to the Iowa River the better you might be. If you fish it keep us informed. It has been a long time since I whetted a line there. The Skunk was the place to be to catch fish. John.

3. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks John, I fish just North of Wellman so it is small but I catch a lot of nice fat carp there and a lot of 2 pound channels. I was just curious of whether it would be worth my time to throw out some trotlines and do some night fishing. Thanks for the information I didn't realize the English has gotten smaller over the years. Also I was just wondering if you happened to know Paul Adam or Cliff Duwa?

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Only been through and into Wellman several times. Large animal calls when I was Veting. Most of the area I am familiar with is from Kalona on East. the neighborhood I grew up in near Riverside was mostly Boheme. A lot of Duwas around there but I do not know of whom you speak.

You live in a nice area. Don't ever think small of it. I wish at times I were back there cutting the suspenders of those young Amish bucks in Kalona. Course you got the Iowa City preppies moving out there now probably making life complicated.

Have a good spring. John.

5. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well John, the English is raging right now. Near Kalona it flooded over Highway 1 and they had to shut down the road. Hopefully these high waters allow some bigger fish to move up stream to spawn. Hope all is good.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am up in Jackson County. The Wapsi and Maquoketa give us a lot of problems. It will be a bad spring up here at ice out. Probably the worst it has been. In addition our roads are going to become impassable. They are going to turn into mud tracks. Will not be good. Did the Kalona sanitary lagoons go under?

7. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah it seems no matter where you are in Iowa the gravel roads are terrible. As far as the lagoons go I'm not sure because I'm at college in Ames so I didn't see the river for myself, my girlfriend told me about it. I'm sure they didn't though because KCRG TV 9 did a report on the river and never said anything about the lagoons and I'm sure they would if it happened. Not to mention the Iowa City people would march down to Kalona and sue who ever was in charge of the lagoons.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You mention you an ISU lad. I graduated there in 1969 as a Vet. Spent 6 years amongst the flora and fauna of Ames. I could show you where some bodies are buried around there. You might even still find my footprints in some unusual places.

Have never been back since 1969. Just never have had the inclination to go. I imagine it has changed a lot.

What are you majoring in?

9. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah it's an alright school I was a walk-on for the football team so that's the reason I'm here. I'm going to be a Beuna Vista student next year at Indian Hills in Ottumwa so I can be closer to home. I'm majoring in Animal Ecology at Iowa State but I'm switching to Criminal Justice next year. My goal is to work for the Department of Natural Resources as a Park Ranger but I'm sure you can imagine how hard it is. If you're ever at Lake Darling State Park let me know and I'll have to come say hello to you, I'll be a seasonal night officer there this summer.