England

Discussion in 'EUROPEAN CATFISH' started by smitty1963, Jun 21, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Can anyone tell me what the largest catfish that has been landed in England???

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ken,
    The record is (was) 62lbs. This is a very contentious issue because the authority that oversees the records has stopped accepting catfish for consideration because they are an imported species. There have been Wels caught there that weigh well over 100lbs...W

3. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    what's there choice of baits over tere

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    you figure roach small carp herring stuff like that

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    what was that thing in the video the guy walked into the water and it looked like an ice cream scooper and it made a weird noise I assume to attract the fish what is that thing called and are those callers for Wels cats only it was interesting

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I read alot about them and they get well over 250 lbs in Spain.And I guess they use hair rigged halibut pellets for bait.They spend a lot of time(weeks) chumming to make a feeding ground

7. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its called a Clonk.I guess some people use it for flatheads too

8. glen the brumsta

glen the brumsta New Member

State:
    birmingham , england
    hi guys i,ll try and give you guys a bit of info . the orignal record for a catfish in England was 62lb , caught a place called withy pool, but this was stopped there ,and catfish have been caught to 130 lb in England, i,ve caught them to 62lb a record for one of the venues i fish, these 100lb plussers that turned up a few years ago were imported from france, but they are growing pure as you can get English cats to over 80lb now prob bigger, they were first stocked in a place called woburn abbey and were a gift from German. TO THE DUKE OF BEDFORD.

the baits we use are live baits , leeches , worms, spam, garlic sausage , halibut pellets, squid ,liver, day old chicks.

the guy is right the ice crean gadget the guy was on about is called a clonk, you drift down the river thashing the water with your clonk as you go, the catfish hear the noise of the clonk and rise from the river bed taking your bait.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Welcome to the BOC GLen.
    It's a good job we type on here and not talk; no one would have a clue what you were saying. Brummie accents aren't common over here:wink:.
    I hear you are having a heat wave in old Blighty?
    ...W

10. glen the brumsta

glen the brumsta New Member

State:
    birmingham , england
    Hi metal man

I take it your from england or was''

yes mait we are having a heat wave , 32 degrees here in brum, your right about my accent , my fellow catfish friends from oxford , london, derby etc, are always taking the pi.s . they look at me li8ke i,m a alien sometimes even the scoucers. how long you been over there.