engines, outboard, inboard, or jet

Discussion in 'Boating' started by TX Fisherman, Nov 28, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you had the choice bewteen an outboard, inboard, or a jet powered motor, price does not matter, and this is not for me buying a boat, this is to see your opinion, i want to decide on like maitnence, and maintaning the motor, motor life, and overall plus and minuses of the motors!

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Each of the motors have advantages and disadvantages depending on their intended use.

For skinny water a jet is hard to beat.
    If you have plenty of water you get more bang for your buck with a prop.
    Inboards take up alot of room but you can get bigger inboards than outboards.

3. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I like an outboard because it leaves you with more room in the boat. It's also easy to get to for maintanance, etc..

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You forgot air boats. Those fans will push them across grass.

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Forget all those....i want wanna these!!! :cool2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlSMCKn8ubo

They'd be perfect for hunting the marshes around here.

I've read somewhere that inboard motors give the least trouble of all boat motors, and they supposedly last longer, and have better reliability/customer satisfaction than other types of motors....i personally like my outboards, they're easier to work on (i can take them off the boat if need be) and no transmission to worry about.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Inboards are trouble if you are one of those people that dont pay close attention to detail and maintenance.

They are expensive to repair.
    Any part like a starter, Carb, alternator, etc, has a flame arrestor.
    They aren't the same kind of motor like you would pull out of mustang or a buick.
    Big difference.

I would probally say the most common costly problem with an inboard is letting water freeze in it.

Changing the oil on one is costly and a chore in most of them.

I prefer the propped outboard.
    With a prop and the proper hull, you can run ankle skinny all you want.

With a prop, you have so many options. with pitches, diameter, blade cupping, blake rake, etc. to dial your boat right in with.

If you want the bow of that boat to lay down flatter when under full power, you can change the rake.
    So many directions to go in to get it perfect.

Even though you say cost wouldnt matter it does. There aren't many of us here that cost doesnt play a big role in any decision we make.

To me its economy.
    If I were buying a boat or building a boat I'm looking to stretch the economy.
    I'm looking at those 24 foot lobster boats that sleep 4 people and will run 30+ MPH with a little 100 horse engine as opposed to twin 200's you commonly see on a boat that size. Big engines are NOT cool if you've ever had to feed one.

For an economy engine I'm looking at a 2 stroke propped outboard engine.

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well this last year has been my first with an inboard and it is also a jet. I tell you I love the thing and will probably never own an out board again.
    What I got is a 200 hp Mercury Optimax sport jet and I tell you this is not your daddy's out board. Direct fuel injection 2 stroke, starts right up 100 degrees or 20 degrees makes no difference. I can go twice as far twice as fast as my old 25 hp out board that was on 1/3rd the boat, using the same amount of gas in water so shallow you can look for agates as your sailing along. Yea the motor housing takes up a little room but it doubles as a drivers seat. You nead a seat anyway and don't they take up room? The old inboard/out boards are freeze problems and you do have to be careful with them. These Mercury sport jets are self draining so freezing is a thing of the past. Mine came with a 5 year warranty so that tells me they got them figured out.

8. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I also have to second the vote for an inboard jet.
    I have had several outboard prop boats and for my boating would never go back.

I have the V8 and contrary to what Mark says, it has a self draining closed loop cooling system, I just shut the motor off and all raw water drains out. And it's much easier to change the oil on my boat than any car I have ever owned.

It is fuel injected so no spark arrestor issues. No oil tanks to worry about and it has a nice and toasty heater for year-round use.

That being said, there are mnay applications that an outboard would be better. Its really a mater of what works best for your water and boating needs.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have to comment on that Gator Tail vid. That motor is all well and good in the swamp, but what would it do In Tennessee on rocks. There would be a Gator Tail in pieces. lol Or that poor driver would be really bounceing on the seat.

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Yeah, but around here the only rocks we got are either in deep water (ballast stone piles from the old sailing ship days) or riprap, which i try to stay away from anyways....we got lots of mud and marsh, with a few sand bars